homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Movies, Books, TV & Media
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Movies, Books, TV & Media Read or watch something new? Discuss it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Wheel of Time

So after ~6 months, I finished up last night rereading all of books 1-9 and then book 10. I had read the first 9 a couple of years ago, but anyone that's read it will understand why you have to reread it if you put it down.

I still think it's ....ing amazing, despite a lot of people who were disappointed with book 10. Granted there was a LOT of plot, but it seems to be completely set up now for some serious asskickage in book 11.

So for those of you that have read Knife of Dreams, how is it? Please don't give any spoilers, because I just ordered the hardcover.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Um, million dollar question - is 11 the last? I refuse to pick up that series again until it's done. I rread them voraciously in high school, and got sick of picking one up, ripping through it in three days, then having to wait a year for the next one, where NOTHING HAPPENED.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Nope.

Unread 10-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Unread 10-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
metalguitarist.org

But he did write a #@$@#$@# prequel after book 10!

Unread 10-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Songs about My Cats

Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've never heard of this series before.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
metalguitarist.org

It's ....ing awesome.

Unread 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
It's ....ing awesome.
It has problems. Lots. (But anything this massive will, at times.)

But that doesn't take away at all from the fact that it's a brilliant series. It's like the Uber-LotR. Jordan is a fantastic writer in many ways (lacking in some), but he can tell such an engrossing story. You completely get lost in his world, as I'm sure Chris will agree. It's almost as good as the Dark Tower, or LotR, and better in some ways.

Chris, book 11 was so much better than 7, 8, 9, and 10. He actually gets the plot rolling again, like I've told you before, and *gasp* shit ACTUALLY HAPPENS!

Rand, Perrin, and Mat - 3 of the coolest ....ing literary, fantasy heroes ever.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
metalguitarist.org

That's so damn good to hear man. Honestly I enjoyed the books a lot more the second time because I wasn't constantly waiting for something to happen in the last 4 books. Going into it knowing it was all plot, I just devoured it all. I didn't know that 11 wasn't out in paperback yet, and when I went to Barnes & Noble today I was almost disappointed that it wasn't there - I was prepared to read it in my car for an hour at lunch.

I really can't wait until it shows up. So much that I'm not going to pick another book up until it gets here next week.

All in all I can't say that I like WoT nearly as much as Dark Tower, but it's #2 easily. (Dark Tower is, imo, the greatest bit of fantasy ever written, and Roland is the ....ing man, but that's another topic altogether).

I'll start Martin's stuff after I finish 11 and the WoT Prequel.

Unread 10-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Martin, like Jordan, is even better a re-read, Chris, especially when read concurrently. None of that confused waiting.

I'm re-reading The Dark Tower next, after I finish the Necroscope stuff.

Unread 10-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
metalguitarist.org

It's nice to have the Martin stuff on-deck. I'll probably read something drama-esque between them so that I don't get fantasied out, but I have a feeling I'm going to plow through Fire and Ice like Drew through a bottle of booze on a Sunday morning.

Unread 10-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
Canis lupis obscurus

Quote:
It's nice to have the Martin stuff on-deck. I'll probably read something drama-esque between them so that I don't get fantasied out, but I have a feeling I'm going to plow through Fire and Ice like Drew through a bottle of booze on a Sunday morning.

Or Drew through a Pink Polo shirt sale at J Crew.

Unread 10-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #13

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Great series, though I like to refer to it as "The Ream Of Paper".
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 09:09 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Vegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud of
I tired to read WOT years ago - got half way through book one - I actually hated it and did not finish it. I read tons of stuff - lots of which that would be considered much worse than this series but I just could not get into WOT.

I tend to be a bit more critical of Fantasy novels then other stuff (even more so than science fiction)

Check out some of these titles (They rock if ya dont believe me just read amazon reviews )

Julian May - Saga of Pliocene Exile
The Many Colored Land
THe Golden Torc
The Nonborn king
The Adversary

China Mielville
Perdido Street Station
The Scar
Iron Council

Neal Steaphenson - Baroque Cycle
Quicksilver
The Confusion
System of the World

Tim Powers
The Auubis Gates

Charles De lint
Trader (Main character is a luthier

TC Boyle
Water Music
East is East
Budding Prospects
Stories
(Avoid Road to Wellville at all costs - if you've seen the movie you'll know why)

this space for rent
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #15
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Tim Powers rules, all of his shit is fantastic.

TDW, how is the newer Necroscope stuff? I read the original 6 or so books with Harry Keogh ages ago but haven't read the newer series.

Ok, end of thread hijack as I haven't read WoT.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #16
Canis lupis obscurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer
TDW, how is the newer Necroscope stuff? I read the original 6 or so books with Harry Keogh ages ago but haven't read the newer series.
I wish I could tell ya, bro. I'm on my first read through of the original stuff. I haven't got into the newer books as of yet.

Chris may have read them.

Unread 10-29-2006, 09:09 PM   #17
Nic
ss.org Regular

Nic has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, I really liked these up until about book 6. Then, just like everyone else says, Jordan forgot to have anything happen at all that advances the plot. The Sword of Truth novels seem to be having the same problem. Come on, stop milking it for the money and get on with it.
George R. R. Martin is the shit, though. But he's only on book, what, book 4 now. He has a long way to possibly fall into the same trap as WoT and SoT.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
Canis lupis obscurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic
Yeah, I really liked these up until about book 6. Then, just like everyone else says, Jordan forgot to have anything happen at all that advances the plot. The Sword of Truth novels seem to be having the same problem. Come on, stop milking it for the money and get on with it.
George R. R. Martin is the shit, though. But he's only on book, what, book 4 now. He has a long way to possibly fall into the same trap as WoT and SoT.
Martin has said that ASoIaF will end at like book 6 or 7, I believe.

Unread 10-29-2006, 09:48 PM   #19
metalguitarist.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
I wish I could tell ya, bro. I'm on my first read through of the original stuff. I haven't got into the newer books as of yet.

Chris may have read them.
I only read the Keogh stuff as well. Actually, I wasn't even aware that there was more after them. I liked the first book the best, something about it, with him talking to the vampire in the ground, etc, really just set a totally kickass mood.

Unread 10-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #20
metalguitarist.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic
That really did bug me the first time around, but after a re-read, without flipping each chapter saying "Maybe THIS will be the chapter that Rand finally kicks some goddamn ass", I was able to get way more into it.

Unread 10-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

Vegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic

This is a common problem in fantasy lit. Lets see how many books we can milk out of this...

I am friends with RA Salvatore's Son and talk to him in MIrc a lot - we were discussing this very fact a couple of weeks ago. He kind of laughed and said "But it is paying for my college" hahaha

this space for rent
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #22
metalguitarist.org

About to get started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kod.jpg (45.6 KB, 9 views)

Unread 10-31-2006, 05:55 PM   #23
Fear the Polo!

I'm ignoring that booze crack, by the way, ....er.

Unread 11-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #24
metalguitarist.org

Awright, I got about 150 pages in last night, and it totally kicks ass so far.

The fact that it opens up with Galad killing Valda is more action than all of the last 3 books combined.

Unread 11-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #25
Fear the Polo!

Quote:
Awright, I got about 150 pages in last night, and it totally kicks ass so far.

The fact that it opens up with Galad killing Valda is more action than all of the last 3 books combined.
That's evil, Chris. I'm soooo tempted to read that, and then I had to immediately scroll down and page down a bit so I couldn't read it when I quoted it for a reply.

I'm assuming something happens. I waited YEARS for something to happen.