homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Member Introductions
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Member Introductions Who are you, how long have you been playing, and what's your story? Post up and say hello!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Central Scrutiniser

Prostheta will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New UK member, and my guitar build!

Hey all! A few people may recognise my nick from the Project Guitar forums. Tis me.

Anyway. I'm a player and builder from sleepy dullard Lincoln in the UK. I've been playing for a good 18 years, and building for 3. I'm not normally a 7-stringer, but whether it's 6 strings, 8, 5 or 4 I do love a great taut chunky low end.

I'm a complete rocket scientist (i'll learn anything just because it's there to be learnt), a dab hand with CAD and 3D modelling suites, plus i'm a practicing Thai boxer training under the UK IKF light middleweight champion. Shame i'm a heavyweight. Every loves to see a fat man fighting though

I registered here as i'm looking for opinions and real-world user opinions on pickups to use in my latest project. I'll do a full build thread elsewhere, but for the purposes of introduction i'll do a little on where i'm at with 7-strings!

Here's a taster of my project "Dark Sabre".

- modified mahogany Ibanez Sabre body
- honduran mahogany neck with central wenge lamination and all-wenge headstock
- Gaboon ebony fingerboard self bound in black ABS
- pearl dot inlays and side markers
- gold Evo fretwire with clipped tangs and semi-hemi fret ends
- TOM bridge with string through body ferrules
- 24 frets over a 26.75" scale with a zero fret
- partial "wave scalloping" between 12th and 24th frets inclusive

The guitar isn't complete yet. Just needs the clearcoating over the colour coats, curing and polishing up. That and pickups

Initial inlaying mockup idea.

Rendered 3D mockup of the "wave scalloping" (click thumb for larger).

Rendered 3D mockup of the complet-ish guitar (click thumb for larger).

Rendered 3D mockup of the headstock (click thumb for larger).

Wave scalloping polished out.

Fretwork in progress...

...and completed!

ZALGO COMES.

Oh yes, and here's one I made earlier:

PS. Sorry if I broke any "max. images per post" rules....
Prostheta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
so what's that? like a semi-scalloped board? that looks really cool!

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Central Scrutiniser

Hey guys - thanks for popping by and hefting me onboard!

Konfyouzd: Yep - it's a semi-scalloped board, and I saw the idea used by Perry Ormsby on one of his builds. It's by no means an original innovation, but since i've been playing more solo stuff recently it kind of hit home how useful and appropriate it is instead of full-width scalloping.

Patrick: Nice to see my first fellow PG'er here on SS.org

On second thought, SS.org sounds a little weird, doesn't it?

Right. Off to sort my profile out then.
Unread 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostheta View Post
Patrick: Nice to see my first fellow PG'er here on SS.org
Nice to see you here I did try to post some of my stuff in that forum but its like 100000000000000000000000000000000 times slower (less active) then ss.org haha

ss.org rules
Unread 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
so i'm guessing the semi scallop is solely for helping dig in for bends on higher strings? and is that a cheaper mod? i think it both looks cool and useful. i'd be highly interested in something like that on a couple of my axes.

Unread 05-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Banned

Mc Giver is here
Unread 05-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Central Scrutiniser

Hahahaha! That's my approach to building....the scalloping was cut in using some 80 grit paper DST'ed to a Berol marker pen. Worked perfectly! MyGyver could get anything sorted with a paperclip, bag of salt and an orange. Like the A-Team crossed with Houdini.

Konfyouzd: Yeah, it's basically because you only dig in on the higher strings, plus when you get to the top frets they are so close together, you're unlikely to contact the board apart from at the edge. Lower down, you have more flexibility so resistance from the board is less of a factor. Hence the wave.

// I've got one bullet left and it's got your email address on it - don't make me hit send.
// Maybe you're just sitting around reading "Guns and Ammo" masturbating in your own faeces and you just stop and go "Wow, it is amazing how ....ing crazy I really am!"
Unread 05-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Dread-I Master

very nice. so that's a possible DIY mod...

Unread 05-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Central Scrutiniser

Can't see why not. It would be more difficult with frets in, although a bit of masking tape or just putting sandpaper on less of the marker's face would be possible. I've actually considered this for my Ibanez S1540.

// I've got one bullet left and it's got your email address on it - don't make me hit send.
// Maybe you're just sitting around reading "Guns and Ammo" masturbating in your own faeces and you just stop and go "Wow, it is amazing how ....ing crazy I really am!"
Unread 05-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

thesimo is just really nicethesimo is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
did i see the biohazard one on UG wayyyyyyy back?

I always thought that headstock was cool
thesimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Carpe Diem Baby

Shane will become famous soon enough
Your Biohazard inlays are sweeet, man. I especially love the first fret.

Welcome dude.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Nice stuff and welcome, man!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
^ Agreed, those are some sick inlays
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
stay tuned

damigu is just really nicedamigu is just really nice
that 7 and 8 are sick as hell!

do you build just for yourself, or do you also take orders?
damigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #17
SS Contributor

Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Welcome to the forum!

Mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #18
Central Scrutiniser

Thanks everyone - that's a great welcome :-D
Much fun will be had here, i'm sure!

Damigu: I only build for myself as I no longer have the workshop space I used to have, plus i'm not a pro.

Unread 05-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #19
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Yay, a Lincolnite

Lovely looking work by the way

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #20
Central Scrutiniser

Cheers Dave!

I'm actually from Hull, but one of the few "Hullensians" that dare to leave their insular little bubbles and mess with the rest of the world :-D

Unread 05-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #21
SS Contributor

TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
wicked inlays on the guitar you built earlyer

TimSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #22
Central Scrutiniser

Cheers - I can't take credit for anything other than the concept, CAD work and the inlaying. The board and inlays were laser cut by Doug at Parable Guitars. Doug is a fantastic fellow....here's a video showing how he cuts the boards....

Oh yeah - "laser scrimshaw" is where you leave bits of the inlay connected so they align perfectly when you inlay them....Doug cut each biohazard symbol's outline fully but only cut the gaps between each "piece" of the symbols to within a mm of the full depth. I then inlaid the pieces in the cut board upside-down and sanded off the connective material. Eeeeee-asy.