homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Member Introductions
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Member Introductions Who are you, how long have you been playing, and what's your story? Post up and say hello!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What's up? A young dude from Melbourne.

I've been lurking here everyday for a number of months now, and have discovered there is some seriously cool characters around here.
Some of my favorite bands right now, are Opeth, Nevermore, Kayo Dot, Porcupine Tree, Sikth (although they ain't around anymore), Between The Buried and Me, Protest The Hero, Outworld, The Red Chord, Canvas Solaris, Agalloch, Isis, Zero Hour, The Mars Volta, Cacophony and Death (that's off the top of my head right now, but still plenty more).
Guitarists that I love (6 stringers/mainly 6 users), Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Joe Satriani (my biggest influence and the first virtuoso that I heard with playing that hit my in the heart), Steve Vai, The dudes from BtBaM, Alex Skolnick, SRV, Tony Macalpine, dudes from PTH and Sikth, Buckethead and Paul Gilbert (off the top of my head).

My rig is a V-Amp2 so absolutely nothing compared to some of the badd ass stuff many of you guys own, but it sounds better than the practice amp I had at least

I don't currently play a 7 yet, but when I do, these guys have been my main source of inspiration for wanting to sell my 6 and buy a 7: Jeff Loomis, John Petrucci, Jasun Tipton from Zero Hour, Chris Broderick and Rusty Cooley.
My current guitar, a Brian Moore Guitars I12000, will be going up for sale later this year (most likely, after mid October), if anyone is interested, perhaps give drop me a PM sometime. It's the guitar I learn all the the finger tapping, 3 note per string legato licks and alternate picking on, so it's a guitar I'll regret selling to some extent, because I love her to bits.
The heart wants to keep it, but where I want to go musically+my current financial means I can't keep it if I want to move into a 7 string.
I'll be looking at either the Loomis Sig, A Jackson COW 7, or an Ibanez RG7321 and modding the hell out of it (new pickups, most likely Seymour Duncan Blackouts, change fretboard radius to even flatter, bigger frets and "The Cooley Cutaway" mod).
My BMG would be rarely played and just be in the guitar case most of the time if I kept it and got a 7, so honestly I would want to sell it to someone that will want to play it and love it like I have. It's never left the house since I don't gig much and just always used a friend's Jackson DK2S (which are great guitars btw) for playing to crowds, so it's in mint condition (errr, maybe I should just put this in the trading section one day instead of rambling here)

Well, I hope to learn a lot more about guitars here, 7 strings, pickups, gear etc, and one day get into ERGs as well.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Have a nice time here.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Welcome Those 7's you listed are all very different from each other and I wonder if you are really sure about what you are looking for. The Loomis is a very bright guitar with active pickups and a choice of trem or hard tail, the jackson is fixed bridge warm mahogany but a single EMG bridge pup and the 7321 is about the most basic basswood guitar that Ibanez make.

My recommendation is to work out what you want/need from your guitar for the style of music and sound you are going for, buy the closest thing in your price range and then only mod it if you need to.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
Malleus Maleficarum

Project2501 is just really niceProject2501 is just really nice
Welcome to the Spiral.......

Scour, Scour, Vomit Shower!!
Project2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #6
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7eve View Post
Welcome Those 7's you listed are all very different from each other and I wonder if you are really sure about what you are looking for. The Loomis is a very bright guitar with active pickups and a choice of trem or hard tail, the jackson is fixed bridge warm mahogany but a single EMG bridge pup and the 7321 is about the most basic basswood guitar that Ibanez make.

My recommendation is to work out what you want/need from your guitar for the style of music and sound you are going for, buy the closest thing in your price range and then only mod it if you need to.
I understand they are very different from each other, but I narrowed it down to those 3 for various reasons.
Me not having much money, not much brand choices, so stuff like Agile and other assorted brands, are not readily available.
ESP, I like, but again, ESP/LTD 7s are very uncommon where I reside, so I narrowed it down to Schecter (where I live you can get almost every model in store), the Jackson COW which is readily available, and Ibanez Rg 7321s are easy to come by, the Rg 1527 not so much, and the Apex-1 model being too expensive and not having the sort of pickups I want, even if they are good quality Dimarzio.
I'm no stranger to bright guitars, having played a friend's Jackson DK2S with a JB bridge, which happens to have one of my favorite lead tones from a pickup, so I wouldn't be phased by the brightness of the Loomis.

I'm leaning more towards either the COW and RG 7321, because my hands are on the smallish-medium size, and given I already have the guitar strapped up Rusty Cooley height to do big stretches, I wonder if the Loomis with the 26.5 inch scale would cause me a bit of trouble in the stretching department.
I've heard it has the thinnest neck in the Schecter 7 range, but still very chunky
I'm more inclined for a fixed bridge right now.
I've heard the new COWs have slightly thinner necks now, and I really liked the neck profile of the DK2S, so I guess the new COWs would have a good neck profile for my smallish hands.
I've played the older COWs, and liked them a lot.
The Wizard II 7, fits my hand like a glove, so neck comfort wise it might be the best option.

Any other advice for a n00bie like me would be much appreciated too
Unread 09-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
My first bit of advise would be don't buy a guitar from Australia and if you have to then buy mine I'm serious about the not buying in Australia though, you will save a lot by importing and it will open up a lot of options that you may think are too expensive for you. Also don't be scared of second hand, in most cases when you buy new you are just paying a premium to be the first to own it, the majority of us try to look after our gear and guitars that haven't been looked after well are usually pretty easy to spot. I'm not going to go into detail about how much I paid but I think it's safe to say that with what you are intending to spend you could have bought any of my guitars and probably have change. One from cash converters, the other two from Japan.

I also have very small hands and IMO scale and neck thickness have little to do with comfort and playability, I think neck width and shape are much bigger factors.

Don't get me wrong if you like a bright guitar by all means get a Loomis, great specs, great value, great guitar and if that is the tone you are looking for there is very little that comes close to it. But like I said Import because you will be hard pressed to find one for $1000 in Australia SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C-7FR 7 STRING GUITAR FLOYD ROSE - eBay Right-Handed, Electric, Guitar, Musical Instruments. (end time 08-Sep-08 09:38:54 AEST)

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
President / RHLC Š

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome!

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!

yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.yevetz is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Sorry for my english
yevetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Welcome!
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
SS Contributor

Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Welcome to the forum!

Mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
Bollocks

Aysakh is a glorious beacon of lightAysakh is a glorious beacon of lightAysakh is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
welcome to hell...er.. the forum
Aysakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Kick The Gates Open

FYP666 is just really niceFYP666 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dude!

I'd say go with Ibanez if you want to modify it, since it's fairly cheap and looks really good!

Jackson again is pure metal and looks menace

YDG!?
FYP666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #16
Doom man of Doom.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Well, as it happened , I made my decision.
As much as I love Jackson guitars, I decided a one pickup guitar wasn't for me, and I didn't want to go through a process of routing out so much wood for a neck pickup.

The Loomis is extremely appealing to me, it is just too nice looking IMO to sand down the lower cutaway for better up fret access.

The Wizard II 7 neck, just feels like the perfect size in my hands, and I would note mind sanding down the lower cutaway and getting it repainted in that area, for that bit extra upper fret access.
So the Ibanez RG7321 is what I'll go for

And I'd like to say thanks again to everyone here for being so welcoming and of course thanks for being able to learn so much about guitars here