homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Member Introductions
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Member Introductions Who are you, how long have you been playing, and what's your story? Post up and say hello!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-16-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
sbm
ss.org Regular

sbm is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New dude, looking for advice on 7 string purchase

Hello all,
I'm a 5-string bassist, and I'm mainly just looking to buy a nice Ibanez 7 string guitar. Ive played bass since about 1995, so about 10 years. I'm 24 years old, in the USAF...
Hello :p

any advice on purchasing a Ibanez 7 string would be appreciated greatly!
sbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
7321??
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah, check into a RG7321. 350$ new. Pretty decent guitar, probably the best budget starter you can get.

If you list your gear in your signature, you're a prick.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Man I think we've had like 20 new members sign up in the last 2 days.

Welcome!
LordOVchaoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #5
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm
Hello all,
I'm a 5-string bassist, and I'm mainly just looking to buy a nice Ibanez 7 string guitar. Ive played bass since about 1995, so about 10 years. I'm 24 years old, in the USAF...

Damn, I think you just rattled off a piece of my history as well. Welcome to the forum!

Well Airman, there are lots of very nice 7-strings being made at the moment. It really depends of the features you want. For a 1st 7, it is hard to beat an Ibanez RG7. For trem models, check out a used RG7620. For hardtails, check out a new RG7321 (or used RG7421 or RG7621).

p.s. Where are you stations currently? You might want throw something up on the location area of your user profile.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Welcome!

I work for the DoD coding software for the USAF. If you guys use any Cursor on Target stuff, that's me.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
sbm
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
Damn, I think you just rattled off a piece of my history as well. Welcome to the forum!

Well Airman, there are lots of very nice 7-strings being made at the moment. It really depends of the features you want. For a 1st 7, it is hard to beat an Ibanez RG7. For trem models, check out a used RG7620. For hardtails, check out a new RG7321 (or used RG7421 or RG7621).

p.s. Where are you stations currently? You might want throw something up on the location area of your user profile.
Airman? I'm a SSgt :p j/k

I'm stationed at Travis AFB, CA... and I make trips up to washinton as often as I can.

thanks for the welcome! I'm originally from Poulsbo, WA... so I miss it up there, I'm actually trying to get stationed at McChord... but from what Ive seen, no go for a bit :p

Ive just started looking, and liked the vampire kiss RG7620, but I'm unsure of what a realistic price range I should pay for one?

Any good lines on a dealer that would have a good inventory or good deals?

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Unread 11-16-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm
Airman? I'm a SSgt :p j/k

I'm stationed at Travis AFB, CA... and I make trips up to washinton as often as I can.

thanks for the welcome! I'm originally from Poulsbo, WA... so I miss it up there, I'm actually trying to get stationed at McChord... but from what Ive seen, no go for a bit :p
Yep, I was in the USAF from 95-02 & got out as a SSgt. I did most of my stint at McChord & then just stayed up here. I love it here. What do you do?

Quote:
Ive just started looking, and liked the vampire kiss RG7620, but I'm unsure of what a realistic price range I should pay for one?

Any good lines on a dealer that would have a good inventory or good deals?

Thanks for the warm welcome!
For a GOOD used 7620, expect to pay about $400. Ebay is a great place to find them. If you're looking for new guitars, check THIS page out. They are plenty of others & I'm sure more forum members will be along shortly to point you in various directions.
Unread 11-16-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
sbm
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Yep, I was in the USAF from 95-02 & got out as a SSgt. I did most of my stint at McChord & then just stayed up here. I love it here. What do you do?
Ive got just about a year and a half left on my enlistment, so I'm already looking at the future as far as a job :p
I'm an aircraft electrician, trained on C-5's and I'm at school for the C-17 transition class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon
For a GOOD used 7620, expect to pay about $400. Ebay is a great place to find them. If you're looking for new guitars, check THIS page out. They are plenty of others & I'm sure more forum members will be along shortly to point you in various directions.
I really appreciate the info!
If you dont mind...
I saw this one on ebay, and I'm pretty interested, as the info says its new Ebay ad
I think it would compliment my Jewel Blue 5 string Ibanez
Unread 11-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm
I really appreciate the info!
If you dont mind...
I saw this one on ebay, and I'm pretty interested, as the info says its new Ebay ad
I think it would compliment my Jewel Blue 5 string Ibanez
WOW
That's one hell of a find if it's legit! Definately not something you see everyday! Sure looks new!
Unread 11-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #11
sbm
ss.org Regular

so I'm guessing I should bid on it then? :P
I have a strong feeling that I'm gonna end up really wanting it (too late) and try to bid on it only to lose at the end
Unread 11-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #12
NUDE MAN!

I sure as hell would if I didn't just finish paying for a UV! That's definately qualifies as a score! A 7620 is my next Ibanez purchase, this will probably be the only new one I'll ever see in my life. I wish I could swing it! Do it! Keep it in the ss.org family!
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #13
sbm
ss.org Regular

well, cross your fingers for me :p
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
NUDE MAN!

I'm on it! Good luck!
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:18 PM   #15
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm
Hello all,

Welcome. I'd go for that 7620.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #16
sbm
ss.org Regular

Thanks!
I'm gonna be all over it, hopefully the bidding wont go all crazy on me
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:31 PM   #17
Ken

Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm
Hello all,

Welcome!

I would stay away from any guitar with a floating bridge. If your primary focus is bass, there's no sense in messing with a floating trem, especially if you change your own strings.

Other than the bridge aspect, I would recommend the 7620 over any other 7 out there. Period. I have 2 of them, and IMHO they're better than guitars twice their price.

Get an Ibanez fixed-bridge 7621 or comparable.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:33 PM   #18
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
If you want a fixed bridge, RG7621, or RG7421 is where its at.

Unread 11-16-2005, 10:34 PM   #19
Lord Super Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm
Thanks!
I'm gonna be all over it, hopefully the bidding wont go all crazy on me
Well, I would put it on your "watch list", then bid in the last minute.
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:38 PM   #20
Hates the Air

Better yet,
Www.auctionsniper.com

puts in your bid 5 seconds before the auction closes.

Unread 11-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #21
sbm
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Well, I would put it on your "watch list", then bid in the last minute.
you read my mind
I like the idea of using a floating bridge, and I'm in no way scared of changing screens at all.

and If I'm able to win it, you can bet its gonna get played, but respected
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #22
Ken

Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.
Damn, I was hoping to steer you away from it so I could win uncontested... :P

j/k (kinda)

I'd love to have another, but I have plenty for now. I hope you get it.
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM   #23
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
That's awesome. Brand new? Wow!

I'd bid on it right quick. In fact... how much is it? I think I got that much in the bank...

Just kidding It's all yours, dude.

http://www.wolf.org
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:45 PM   #24
sbm
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
That's awesome. Brand new? Wow!

I'd bid on it right quick. In fact... how much is it? I think I got that much in the bank...

Just kidding It's all yours, dude.
you 2 just scared the crap outta me j/k
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #25
Ken

It was nice of you to find it for us, though. Thank you.