homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Member Introductions
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Member Introductions Who are you, how long have you been playing, and what's your story? Post up and say hello!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

chug-a-chug will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Is it possible to make my amps tone simaler to framus cobra

i have a crate xt120r and i do like the way it sounds but framus cobras sound soo much better and i have to say i dont have the money fore one

so is there anything i can do to make it sound more like one ?
is it possible to upgrade my amp or anything

help
chug-a-chug is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

Tawlks is on a distinguished road
Probably not for a few reasons, it's basicly a completely different amp. You won't be able to make it sound like a Cobra but you could probably get a pretty decent metal tone that's 'like' a Cobra, if that makes sense? Cobra's are also proffesional grade high end amps.

Well, two things to be considered are that firstly it's a solid state amp, which will probably sound completely different to the Framus which is a vavlve head. Also, the Cobra is a head, the Crate is a combo, so they'll sound very different.

There's not much in the way of upgrading solid state amps as there's no valves (That's the most common 'upgrade' people do to change sound though it's not really an upgrade)

Sometihng like a Tubescreamer by Ibanez or a Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss SD-1 etc etc are all low gain overdrive pedals that people chuck infront of amps to tighten up low end and 'push' the amp. loads of Peavey/Mesa/Framus/etc guys do this, it's great. but that's usually for valve amps, solid state amps don't react as well to boosts. in front or effects loop EQ pedals like the MXR or Boss are good for tone shaping.

If you're keen on upgrading you could consider what alot of people do and buy a multi effects processor like a POD and run it through the clean channel of the amp, that's what I did with my old amp before I got a 5150, but that involves a fair bit of money and makes the whole 3 channel amp thing completely redundant haha.

You COULD also change the speakers, that would make it sound better but It's a waste of time and money.

In short, get a better amp, if you can't afford one or don't want one then just tweak the hell out of your current amp, I've sat with my amps before for a good while to get true awesome tone out of it, same with effects and evrything, Every single parameter effects tone, even Gain/Volume ratios. Seriously. Peavey 5150s and 6505s, specifically the II/+ series are what Cobras are often compared to, and they're pretty cheap on Ebay. They come in a combo version too which I hear sounds better and saves you buying a cab, also it's half the wattage so better tone at bedroom/small club levels. (I own the head, never played the combo)
Tawlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Welcome.

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

chug-a-chug will become famous soon enough
well i figured most of that but its worth asking
the only option i didn't know about was a valve upgrade for my solid state or did i miss understand you
and very nice on the 5150 I've tried to find one fore sale i don't have the money but i couldn't find one
chug-a-chug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Beardaholic.

Beardyman is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chug-a-chug View Post
well i figured most of that but its worth asking
the only option i didn't know about was a valve upgrade for my solid state or did i miss understand you
and very nice on the 5150 I've tried to find one fore sale i don't have the money but i couldn't find one
No, he didn't mean you could do a valve upgrade to your current amp, he meant a common upgrade for valve amplifiers are to "upgrade " the tubes. Although, its not necessarily an upgrade, since which valve type, brand etc. is "better" is completely opinion.
Maybe a boost or an eq for more tone shaping could help you out. A modeller could do you a lot of good, Pods are great budget rigs. Or just save up and get yourself a decent valve amplifier. The 5150s are suppused to sound similar to Cobras, and Bugera makes an amp (I believe its the 6260) that supposedly sounds almost dead on to a 5150 for much much cheaper since they're made of cheaper chinese parts, but I haven't heard reliability issues myself.

Good deals with: Enditol, itsallinmyh3ad, iliketoshred09, Hamatha, and many more on Rig-talk, HCAF, TGP and GC.
Beardyman is offline   Reply With Quote