homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Member Introductions
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Member Introductions Who are you, how long have you been playing, and what's your story? Post up and say hello!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

toolmaker is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here with my home built aluminum Guitar

Hi i came across an old thread discussing aluminum body guitars.
I was really slow at work this summer so i thought i would try my hand at making a new Axe for myself. I have been playing guitar for about 10 years on a Fender Squire that my wife bought me for Christmas one year and thought it was time for an upgrade.
I am a Tool and Die maker so naturally my material of choice is an alloy rather than wood and also i hate woodworking.
So the body started out as a solid block of 6061 T6 aluminum and i used a Warmoth maple neck. The pickups are Seymour Duncan. The sound is unbelievable.
A friend that plays alot has used it in a few gigs and now wants to buy it from me but i told him this one is going to my grave with me.

Here is a link to some pics Pictures by tbm1967 - Photobucket

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2322.jpg (109.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2323.jpg (123.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2321.jpg (106.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2325.jpg (135.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg back2.jpg (57.8 KB, 53 views)
toolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

wow, that's stunning!

+1 for schaller roller bridge
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Looks awesome, mate!

Fred the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Unexpected Ally

xmetalhead69 is a glorious beacon of lightxmetalhead69 is a glorious beacon of lightxmetalhead69 is a glorious beacon of light
THat thing is (get it? its a pun)

http://soundcloud.com/unexpected-allies
http://www.facebook.com/unexpectedallies

A unique sounding, prog metal band, mars volta inspired vocals, fun guitar, and tons of diverse influences. Check us out, our instrumental album is out now, and the next one is coming soon
xmetalhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Wow... that's gorgeous... nice work! Also, very nice machinery in the background. (And a huge pile of aluminum shavings in the corner!)

Is this just a one-off for personal use, or would you be interested in making more of these? Any interest in doing custom designs?
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

ellengtrgrl is just really niceellengtrgrl is just really nice
FANTASTIC!!!
ellengtrgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Welcome man, and serious congrats on that build, looks amazing!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
that guitar looks awesome and
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

Thanks for the great feed back glad everyone likes it.
I'm going to start another one soon. Thinking a hollow body arch top.
Wish i could make a living at this instead of my real job.LOL
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaker View Post
Thanks for the great feed back glad everyone likes it.
I'm going to start another one soon. Thinking a hollow body arch top.
Wish i could make a living at this instead of my real job.LOL
You never know man, this is an awesome idea, and I'm sure there are people out there (on here!) that would love to get in touch with you to buy one. Start working with wood a little bit and build necks and you could open an aluminu body custom shop! (or just make and sell aluminum bodies, that'd be cool too)
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #11
1 less ERGNESS

ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
that is seriously awesome. could you post a sound sample for us to hear it out please?
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Ralphy i did well to get some pics up im not real good at this computer stuff. I will see if a freind can help with some sound,give me a couple of days.
Does anyone Know where a person can get a good neck at a resonable price?
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
Asian Women Fanatic

vortex_infinium is a jewel in the rough
Welcome. That looks totally badass.
vortex_infinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
SS Contributor

Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Aluminum guitar!?!?
That's badass!!

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.

Last edited by All_Ľour_Bass; 11-05-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #16
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That guitar is sick, welcome aboard!
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 01:50 AM   #17
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That looks incredible, I'd love to hear a clip or see a video of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmaker View Post
Ralphy i did well to get some pics up im not real good at this computer stuff. I will see if a freind can help with some sound,give me a couple of days.
Does anyone Know where a person can get a good neck at a resonable price?
You can find second hand necks on eBay or you can get brand new ones made by most good luthiers and custom shops.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:18 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Fionn is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Super shiny! I wonder how it sounds?

Perfection at Blistering Speeds! TM
Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

maxident213 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
It's beautiful, may I ask what the approximate weight of the instrument is?

Very nice metalworking there.
maxident213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #20
NOT a ss.org Regular

cataclysm_child is shredding to new heights.cataclysm_child is shredding to new heights.cataclysm_child is shredding to new heights.cataclysm_child is shredding to new heights.cataclysm_child is shredding to new heights.cataclysm_child is shredding to new heights.cataclysm_child is shredding to new heights.
It´s funny how everyone discuss the tone of this and that wood, and then you come with a f´ing aluminum guitar! Haha = Win!
cataclysm_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #21
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
It probably sounds bright.
Reminds me of those 'resonator guitars.'

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 06:15 AM   #22
Tube & Analog Snob

TomPerverteau is just really niceTomPerverteau is just really nice
There used to be an aluminum-bodied Tokai in one of my favorite local music stores, and it totally screamed.
TomPerverteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #23
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
People have been saying for years that aluminum works extremely well for guitar bodies. The Tokai model you're thinking of is called the Talbo.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote