homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree64Likes

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Hipster Mustaine

Polythoral is a glorious beacon of lightPolythoral is a glorious beacon of lightPolythoral is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
'Wood doesn't effect tone' science article...

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/music...d-myth-busted/

I wish to see the discussion this creates... though lets keep it civil.

edit: I should have arguably put science in quotations, too.

My 60+ minute progressive metal(core?) solo album! -^
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hmm considering notes vibrate at very specific frequencies to create these notes, Im not shocked that an "A4" on a les paul has the same frequency as an "A4" on telecaster.

This is stupid and proves nothing. It does not discuss timbre, projection, or pitch. Nothing more then intellectual meanderings from a bored engineer.
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Biologist/Guitarist

groverj3 is just really nicegroverj3 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, I'm going to be flamed here... but...

Magnetic Pickups detect vibration of strings. They can only detect them because they are made of metal. Is the body of the guitar made of metal? Is it magnetic in any way? No. So, therefore can the particular kind of wood directly impact the tone? No.

Now, there is a little fuzziness to that hypothesis. The pickups are mounted in the body, so can the vibration of the body due to strumming the strings cause the pickups to vibrate slightly? Perhaps. That would slightly affect the tone.

Can the wood impact how much sustain a note has? Perhaps. However, the effect would be small, I think. The string vibrating at certain frequencies while the body vibrates may cause the note to sustain longer. Once again, I think the effect would be small.

So, I'm of the opinion that there is a small effect but it is almost negligible. I think a lot of the opinions about tone in certain woods are more related to the feeling of the guitar resonating while playing.

Just my opinion.
Durero, luthierjules and bob123 like this.

"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity. However, I'm not too sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
In before lock
flexkill, Murmel, Fiction and 3 others like this.
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverj3 View Post
Can the wood impact how much sustain a note has? Perhaps. However, the effect would be small, I think. The string vibrating at certain frequencies while the body vibrates may cause the note to sustain longer. Once again, I think the effect would be small.
Play an electric guitar acoustically, and then place the headstock on a wooden table or wooden wall or something large and wooden in your house, and you will notice the acoustic properties and the volume will change by a huge amount, not a subtle change, but probably like a 25-50% change in tone.
Tranquilliser and downburst82 like this.

[Fiction] 1:47 pm: she could probably toss a salad with that thing
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #6

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Ive had two of the same exact guitar and they sounded different from one another. If I can hear a difference between two cuts of the same species of wood then I can surely hear the difference between two completely different species. I know from experience that woods play a huge role in a guitars tone. If anyone believes different then they need to have their ears checked
TomPerverteau likes this.
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Hipster Mustaine

Polythoral is a glorious beacon of lightPolythoral is a glorious beacon of lightPolythoral is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Magnetic Pickups detect vibration of strings. They can only detect them because they are made of metal. Is the body of the guitar made of metal? Is it magnetic in any way? No. So, therefore can the particular kind of wood directly impact the tone? No.

Now, there is a little fuzziness to that hypothesis. The pickups are mounted in the body, so can the vibration of the body due to strumming the strings cause the pickups to vibrate slightly? Perhaps. That would slightly affect the tone.

So, I'm of the opinion that there is a small effect but it is almost negligible. I think a lot of the opinions about tone in certain woods are more related to the feeling of the guitar resonating while playing.

Just my opinion.
I actually agree pretty much. I really do feel wood has little to do with tone on an electric. I mean, a very small amount, yeah, 3-7% or so I'd give it vaguely. What you said moreorless clarifies my reasoning. I am by no means a luthier or knowledgeable person at science though, it's just what seems like common sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
In before lock
Yeaaah, unfortunately I expect it to happen eventually. I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME DISCUSSION BEFORE YELLING BEGINS THOUGH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
Play an electric guitar acoustically, and then place the headstock on a wooden table or wooden wall or something large and wooden in your house, and you will notice the acoustic properties and the volume will change by a huge amount, not a subtle change, but probably like a 25-50% change in tone.
Eeeeh, this happens yeah, but I still question how much effect there'd be when plugged in. If I do such a thing and play a note while plugged in, even if I hear more resonance acoustically through what I'm touching, it won't effect how long the note sustains really on the electric output.

Obvious unplugged you could notice differences, because the wood and body is part of what is doing the mild amplification of the sound, but plugged in that wood isn't really where the sound is being picked up and amplified from....

Unread 08-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Err... So what?

If I put a magnetic pickup* in my $75 acoustic, then pop it in a $3000 dollar acoustic, it sounds the exact same. In fact, I did this at the Long & McQuade here in Toronto, AB'ing a $150 Epiphone with a similarly constructed $3000 Martin, both with the exact same strings on them, put through a Roland Acoustic Chorus and a few other amps.

Both had a plastic nut and saddle, which appeared to be of the same material material.

Basically zero difference between them.

In fact, it's gotten to the point where I take my pickup to jazz rehearsals rather than my jazz box. I just pop it in the soundhole of the guitar at my buddies place, which is indeed a cheap Yamaha, and it sounds great!

What difference does the wood in a solid body make?
I believe that the only part that really matters, is string construction, bridge construction and materials, as well as how tight everything is coupled together. The bridge style and materials can drastically change how the string vibrates, string construction is obvious.

*It's a handmade Kent Armstrong voiced for phosphor bronze with detachable soundhole mounts, originally purchased for an archtop guitar.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Unread 08-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Cogito, ergo bardus.

Quitty is just really niceQuitty is just really nice
Quote:

Just my opinion.
You're missing out on the best part -
the strings are attached to the body wood.
Their vibration is dampened by the wood they're set in, both in the tuner end and at the bridge. That's what makes most of the difference, allegedly.

IMO, there's definitely an effect. Not because one can compare too identical guitars with different woods, but because the effect is predictable -
chances are my mahogany guitar would make me think it's darker than my alder one and not vice versa, even without knowing what the woods 'should' do.

"I WANT TO .... A UNICORN IN THE ASS WITH IT AND IMPREGNATE IT WITH MY METAL SEED!" ~FretWizard88

...But dignity is difficult to maintain,
stamina requires constant upkeep,
repetition is boring
and you pay for grace.
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.Hollowway is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo7 View Post
I know from experience that woods play a huge role in a guitars tone. If anyone believes different then they need to have their ears checked
Yeah, but you weren't blinded to the guitars you're using. So you're highly biased (I mean that in a statistical way, not a jerky way). I'm definitely of the camp that it doesn't make any difference in electric guitars when amplified. It doesn't make any sense that it could have any bearing on the sound. The density of the wood and the quality of the anchor of the bridge and nut can affect sustain, as was said about putting the HS on a table, but there can be no affect on tone.
But, there is simply no way everyone is going to believe this. Same way that everyone thinks shaving a lot increases beard growth and wearing magnetic bracelets helps your balance.
For me, it just opens up a lot of possibilities for cool wood combinations because I go on looks and don't get hung up on tone. And then I worry about wood combos only for my acoustic instruments.
Durero, ElRay, Danukenator and 2 others like this.
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I personally dont think different woods sound different. I think the differences in sound would come down to the density and mass of the wood more than the type as well as construction(bolt on, set neck ect.). But when you break over the nut and bridge, in dont think the wood will effect things much.

I'm a FIRM believer that guitar players are a huge placebo group.

The fact remains that the guy did a small study using a scientific method, and to ignore facts that he came up with are ignorant.
Durero, MJS, Hollowway and 4 others like this.

Confront and Destroy!
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Hipster Mustaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespass View Post
If I put a magnetic pickup in my $75 acoustic, then pop it in a $3000 dollar acoustic, it sounds the exact same.
Note, though I don't think body woods really effect an electric, this I would be willing to argue.

Unread 08-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Quote:
Err... So what?
I commented before reading the rest of his post

And I have no knowledge about acoustics so i'm not going to comment on the rest of your post

Unread 08-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I play several high end luthier made archtops with high end magnetic pickups (Armstrong, Bartolini etc.). I also work with a luthier who I speak to on pretty much a daily basis. I think about and experiment with this problem of wood not involved in magnetic sound production - a lot.

My solution was simple. I have an Audio Technica clip on lavalier mic that goes on the body of my archtop with goes to the board, and the mag goes to the amp chain.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching

Unread 08-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
AEADGBEA

Quote:
I commented before reading the rest of his post

And I have no knowledge about acoustics so i'm not going to comment on the rest of your post
... I have acoustic guitars which are optimized in a scientifically sound way to produce volume and complex harmonic content.

I put a magnetic pickup on a $150 example, and a $3000 example. The wood content did not impact the magnetic tone at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polythoral View Post
Note, though I don't think body woods really effect an electric, this I would be willing to argue.
I'm not arguing that wood choices in acoustics effect tone. It's obvious that the top plate, as a vibrating membrane and sound producer, must have a species of wood soft enough to vibrate efficiently (hence spruce and cedar). The side and back plates must be hard woods to act as reflectors and project the sound out (hence mahogany, koa whatever) and not absorb the sound.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate

Teaching

Unread 08-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #16
Hipster Mustaine

Quote:
... I have acoustic guitars which are optimized in a scientifically sound way to produce volume and complex harmonic content.

I put a magnetic pickup on a $150 example, and a $3000 example. The wood content did not impact the magnetic tone at all.
I see you didn't quote my post, but thinking about it, I guess I have never played an acoustic through an amp of any sort, so I actually can have no real opinion there. In trying to think of what my common sense would tell me, it would be somewhat noticeable, moreso than it'd ever be on an electric, but still in reality not too much.

Unread 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #17
For Mod

Quote:

By that I mean, I have nothing to add to your post regarding acoustics, I understand you put a magnetic pickup on a $150 example and a $3000 example, and no tone was changed. I was merely commenting in my original post that wood makes a difference acoustically.

Unread 08-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

rockstarazuri is just really nicerockstarazuri is just really nice
Ehh, I dunno, a lot metal bands sound the same to me with their guitars (with a variance in wood types) into a OD808/TS9 + PV5150 combo to me.

Or famous guitarists playing other people's gear and still sound like themselves. I've seen Guthrie go thru a Line 6 DT combo and an Axe FX and he sounds like himself..

I certainly can't recognize whether Periphery used a Daemoness/Ibanez/Blackmachine/Jackson on their songs.. the timbre of the instruments in their tracks sound the same to me too..

Must be that my ears are bad but that's what I hear
Unread 08-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #19

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarazuri View Post
Ehh, I dunno, a lot metal bands sound the same to me with their guitars (with a variance in wood types) into a OD808/TS9 + PV5150 combo to me.

Or famous guitarists playing other people's gear and still sound like themselves. I've seen Guthrie go thru a Line 6 DT combo and an Axe FX and he sounds like himself..

I certainly can't recognize whether Periphery used a Daemoness/Ibanez/Blackmachine/Jackson on their songs.. the timbre of the instruments in their tracks sound the same to me too..

Must be that my ears are bad but that's what I hear
Post EQ can make different woods sound very similar
Tranquilliser likes this.
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

rockstarazuri is just really nicerockstarazuri is just really nice
Haha, I'm aware that post EQ is inevitable and necessary, but it defeats the whole 'tone woods' discussion IMO lol
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #21

I just know that wood does affect tone. Post EQ affects tone, and so does wood.
downburst82 likes this.
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
There is no doubt in my mind wood effects tone. Plug in your guitar and sing into the pickup, you will hear yourself in the amp. If my voice resonates on a string, I'm confident the wood does as well.
technomancer, elq and skeels like this.
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #23
Biologist/Guitarist

Quote:
This is the wood vibrating. Which the pickups do not "pick-up."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitty View Post
You're missing out on the best part -
the strings are attached to the body wood.
Their vibration is dampened by the wood they're set in, both in the tuner end and at the bridge. That's what makes most of the difference, allegedly.

IMO, there's definitely an effect. Not because one can compare too identical guitars with different woods, but because the effect is predictable -
chances are my mahogany guitar would make me think it's darker than my alder one and not vice versa, even without knowing what the woods 'should' do.
True, I didn't think about that. However, pretty much all electrics have strings terminating in metal at the bridge. The nut is either going to be metal (floyd nut), graphite, bone, or something similar. I can see perhaps a difference in a metal nut vs other materials, but will this be picked up by the pickups? That's a good question. The timbre of the string ringing out is basically the overtones being produced. Would these be different enough that the difference from each other survive the process of being turned into an electrical signal by the pickups? I don't know, I'm a biologist, not a physicist. I think it's unlikely to have a large impact, but that's just my opinion. Not ruling it out though.

Quote:
Post EQ can make different woods sound very similar
Agreed, when you start adding effects into your signal I doubt ANYONE would be able to tell what you played through. Example: Go to Guitar Center, and plug a $200 Ibanez starter guitar into their massive pedal display and then switch to a JEM or Jackson Soloist, or really any other guitar. I guarantee you that you will sound pretty darn close as long as the wiring isn't f*cked up and the guitars are set up more or less the same in terms of pickup height, string height, etc.

Quote:
I'm not saying it doesn't, just wondering how large the effect is. I'm going with 10% or less of your tone being determined by the wood as a complete guess.

"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity. However, I'm not too sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Unread 08-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
Biologist/Guitarist

Just because people have always thought something doesn't make it true. People used to think the world was flat. People used to think the Earth was 3000 years old (ok, some people still do... not going there in this thread). People used to think that dinosaurs didn't have feathers . People used to think that the expansion of the universe was slowing down.

^ Trying to be funny, not trying to be dick.

I do agree that wood probably affects tone, just not as much as some people do. But hey, I'm probably full of shit. This is just my opinion. Just keep on .
MstrH likes this.

Unread 08-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #25
AEADGBEA

Quote:
Intuition does not equal reality.

A decent amount of old wives tales aren't actually true.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate

Teaching

Closed Thread