homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

nkri is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Hand-Painting onto Lacquer?

Hey everyone,
I'm doing an apprenticeship this summer with a luthier in RI (details and pics to come in a future thread). One of our current projects is to refinish an 80s Carvin, and the plan is to paint the schematic of the customer's amp onto the body. The body's already been stripped down to bare wood, and we plan to apply a gradient finish (green to black, treble->bass). My sister is an artist and will be in town this weekend to hand-paint the schematic. My question is, what kind of paint should she use? She'll just be painting the black lines of the schematic, with no letters or other markings of any kind. We were gonna put a base coat of green lacquer on the body, and we're thinking she'll paint over that, then we'll apply the gradient after the design is painted on. Any suggestions?
nkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

mikenothing is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey, I don't have an answer... but I would love to know what to use as well. I have been wanting to hand draw some logos for guitar builds in basic black. Hope someone answers
mikenothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
anything for color is fine. You can use acrylic if you want.

Its the top coat that matters. Make sure the paint is flat and run a catalyzed clear over top for best results.

For paint, Id go with dupont car paint, they have great and vibrant colors.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Super-spy

supercolio is on a distinguished road
Bob seems to know the thing How awesome would that guitar look! PLEASE post pictures of it when finished!
supercolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
anything for color is fine. You can use acrylic if you want.

Its the top coat that matters. Make sure the paint is flat and run a catalyzed clear over top for best results.

For paint, Id go with dupont car paint, they have great and vibrant colors.
So if she used any black acrylic paint, the lacquer coats wouldn't dissolve the acrylic or distort it in any way? Just wanna make sure...and the design will be painted between coats of lacquer, with a clear coat on top, so the top coat won't actually touch the design...
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Needs more strings

Metal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of light
As long as it's fully dried, there won't be any problems with the solvents from either water or thinners based paints over the top of each other.

The problem is when you try to paint acrylic over an enamel base. Acylic paints form hard, inflexible shells. Enamels tend to be a bit more flexible and move about. What happens when you put a hard shell over a flexible substrate? It cracks. That being said, enamels over acrylics are fine.

"By the way, melted binding looks like marshmallow. But it really doesn't taste like it." - MapleLeaf97
Metal_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
Needs more strings

Metal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of light
As long as it's fully dried, there won't be any problems with the solvents from either water or thinners based paints over the top of each other.

The problem is when you try to paint acrylic over an enamel base. Acylic paints form hard, inflexible shells. Enamels tend to be a bit more flexible and move about. What happens when you put a hard shell over a flexible substrate? It cracks. That being said, enamels over acrylics are fine and unless large areas of acrylic are sandwiched between enamels, it should be fine.

"By the way, melted binding looks like marshmallow. But it really doesn't taste like it." - MapleLeaf97
Metal_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Acrylic it is! Thanks guys.
Unread 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
ss.org Regular

mikenothing is a jewel in the rough
Im going to finish my guitar with Danish oil... can I just put acrylic over that?
mikenothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenothing View Post
Im going to finish my guitar with Danish oil... can I just put acrylic over that?
So you're not finishing your guitar in danish oil...

yes you can paint over danish oil if its fully dried, just dont use nitro.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote