homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By MaxOfMetal
  • 1 Post By NUTSguitarchannel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Hipster Jesus

Tjore is just really niceTjore is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Basswood vs American Basswood...?

Hey! Hoping this is the right place to post this question.
At the Ibanez site, I tried comparing the Premium RG927 with the Prestige RGD2127Z.
Apparently, they both feature a basswood body, but the description for the Premium says
"Body: American Basswood body", while the Prestige says
"Body: Basswood body"
What the hell is the difference?
You might be thinking "Well, since it's Prestige, it must mean that Basswood is just better in quality than American Basswood."
If so, I think you're wrong. In fact, ANY guitar that isn't in the Premium line states "Body: Basswood body"
Even the RG7321.
So, I'm just wondering, why and what is the difference except its origins or whatever?
Thanks

Check out my Soundcloud, it's pretty swell!!
Tjore on Soundcloud
My Youtube too!
(RIP Edd Gould)
Tjore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Vinchester is just really niceVinchester is just really nice
Or it could be the Premium line being overly specific to ensure the customers that they are not using cheap wood.

Actually I'm quite interested to know the answer as well!

Carvin DC700 BKP Painkillers
ESP Eclipse I CTM FT w/ BKP Rebel Yells
ESP M-II w/ D-sonic/Air Norton
Jackson RR3 w/ EMG81/60
Vinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Hipster Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchester View Post
Or it could be the Premium line being overly specific to ensure the customers that they are not using cheap wood.

Actually I'm quite interested to know the answer as well!
It must make some sense in one way or another, if that actually was why they typed it, I'd be even more skeptical about the wood than without knowing it actually is American basswood.
But seriously, kinda want to keep this one alive, maybe the relevant knowledge of those one or two people that may or may not see this thread could be a revolutionary discovery for everyone here!
Or you may actually be completely right about that first one.

Tjore on Soundcloud
My Youtube too!
(RIP Edd Gould)
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Kinda sounds like some fancy wording to get people to buy the premium line.

"It's all jagged and jaded, but it suits us. We just fake it through."
broj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Edika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have no fear, Max is hear!! He should shed light on the subject as he knows all things Ibanez (and more of course but especially Ibanez).

Personally I have no idea!

New songs from my band Semic Stains up at:

http://www.myspace.com/semicstains

Check 'em out!
Edika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
American Basswood = Tilia americana

Basswood/Linden = One of nearly 40 different species.
drmosh, Tjore, wakjob and 1 others like this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
all basswood guitars should sound similar.

Key difference should be weight. American Basswood = VERY light. Asian basswood = heavy!
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Hipster Jesus

But if Asian basswood is heavier than American Basswood, there must of course be some differences on the sound?

Tjore on Soundcloud
My Youtube too!
(RIP Edd Gould)
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
all basswood guitars should sound similar.
Nope.

That's like saying all Mahogany guitars should sound similar, with nearly two dozen species of wood "considered" Mahogany in the guitar making industry, that's nearly impossible.

The various species of Basswood can sound quite different. Heck, two different pieces from the same tree can sound vastly different (sap wood vs. heart wood for instance).

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Teh 7 djentahh

NUTSguitarchannel is a jewel in the rough
max shall be right again.
ThePhilosopher likes this.

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny."
-
Frank Zappa

''Baritone is the way to got.''
-
rgk7
NUTSguitarchannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Jzbass25 is just really niceJzbass25 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
All basswoods are not created equal, my Jem DBK basswood sounds more like alder than any basswood I've ever played and takes an evo nicely. It is American basswood, I believe my rg2570 and 1527 are Japanese basswood since they are heavier and more middy.

In the jungle you must wait, until the dice read 5 or 8
Jzbass25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Nope.

That's like saying all Mahogany guitars should sound similar, with nearly two dozen species of wood "considered" Mahogany in the guitar making industry, that's nearly impossible.

The various species of Basswood can sound quite different. Heck, two different pieces from the same tree can sound vastly different (sap wood vs. heart wood for instance).
I meant from the same line dude, not that all basswood guitars will sound similar. An RG made from asian basswood will still sound SIMILAR to an american basswood RG.

and most large manufactures dont use sapwood for decent guitars anyway.

edt: Im speaking in generalities. If you want to go to the extremes, EVERY guitar sounds different, no matter how similar you have everything.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

fnv8m8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzbass25 View Post
All basswoods are not created equal, my Jem DBK basswood sounds more like alder than any basswood I've ever played and takes an evo nicely. It is American basswood, I believe my rg2570 and 1527 are Japanese basswood since they are heavier and more middy.
ill be honest and say I think it depends on the day and the year and where it was made, theres so much stuff on here that contradicts everything that everyone is saying, I have an old 96 Korean RG470 and the specs say the body is American basswood, but I also have a prestige RG1570 from 2007 that is stated as just 'basswood body(one would assume Asian being MIJ' and the prestige even in stock form sounds a hell of a lot better than the American basswood bodied guitar, the sound is fuller, way more bottom end, even with the V8 pick up on the 470 it just makes the guitar more trebley, not to mention the prestige is far lighter than the 470 by a long shot, its like picking up a log after playing the 1570, but that's just my experience, not saying anything on here is right or wrong, just what I have found with my guitars and this whole 'basswood' 'American basswood' saga
fnv8m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
Bass Player in Exile

HaMMerHeD is just really niceHaMMerHeD is just really nice
Asian rainforest Tilia (basswood, linden, etc.) grows faster and is generally less dense than the American variety. American Tilia grows slower and produces generally denser, heavier lumber.

Asian harvested lumber can vary wildly in density and weight. Even Asian mahogany (bred from transplanted South American trees) is quite a bit less dense (and lighter, softer) than the South American versions.

That isn't to say that Asian hardwood is inherently lighter. If given enough time to grow, it will eventually produce heavier lumber. But the lumber industry is not that patient, and often prefers the quantity of faster-grown, but lighter lumber to the quality of older growth.
HaMMerHeD is offline   Reply With Quote