homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

ImN0tTelling will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ideas for a new project

Recently I've been thinking about doing some sort of mod or assembly project since I'm not really confident enough to start a build from scratch just yet. I was thinking of either sanding down my RG7321 and adding a veneer of some sort, having a new body made for my RG7321, or just buying a 1527 or 7620 body and piecing the whole guitar together.

I'm really finding it a bit hard to decide because for the first option I have no experience in sanding or refinishing, although I've read through the information on the Project Guitar website on several occasions. Concerning having a body made, the only real option I know of is Perle Guitars, as I've seen another member's thread in which he ordered an FR body for his 7321 neck. Finally, the third option of piecing together an RG1527 or 7620 would be sort of expensive, having to purchase the body, neck, trem, and electronics separately.

I'd really like to hear some opinions and possibly advice to help me decide on this project. I appreciate any input that anyone may have, and I look forward to your replies. Thank you for your time and for reading.
ImN0tTelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Strongman

Darkstar124 is a jewel in the rough
Sanding is a process that takes a lot of time and a ton of patience. Its also the kind of thing thats relatively difficult to screw up, because of the amount of time you spend with it. As long as you manage to get alllll the way through your sealer then you should be fine.
Wear a mask, and make sure to grab a power sander of some sort or you'll be old and gray by the time you see any real grain. If you like the grain of your guitar, tung oil it and call it a day!
The veneer is a little tougher and requires some pretty serious precision. I'd phone a friend on that one.
Good luck!
Darkstar124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Teh 7 djentahh

NUTSguitarchannel is a jewel in the rough
Just go for it and dont use too many powertools so you'll not .... the guitar up

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny."
-
Frank Zappa

''Baritone is the way to got.''
-
rgk7
NUTSguitarchannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

veshly is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've been slowly re-finishing my RGA7 and I finally put on the first coat of dutch oil last night.

I was afraid of taking off too much when I first started sanding but then I saw how slowly it actually goes (80 grit with an electric palm sander) and got comfortable with it pretty quick. The few spots that were uneven I just went over very carefully with 240 and it smoothed it out nicely.

I'd say go for it.
veshly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Guitarded

kn1feparty is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by veshly View Post
I've been slowly re-finishing my RGA7 and I finally put on the first coat of dutch oil last night.

I was afraid of taking off too much when I first started sanding but then I saw how slowly it actually goes (80 grit with an electric palm sander) and got comfortable with it pretty quick. The few spots that were uneven I just went over very carefully with 240 and it smoothed it out nicely.

I'd say go for it.
How's the mahogany look under all that black?
kn1feparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

ImN0tTelling will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTSguitarchannel View Post
Just go for it and dont use too many powertools so you'll not .... the guitar up
I saw somewhere that you had problems on your veneer? Air bubble on the arm contour I assume?

Anyway, I've done a bit of reading and some research and I think I'm going to just build a new body for my 7321 myself.
ImN0tTelling is offline   Reply With Quote