homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Staining a rosewood fretboard?

I'm thinking of doing a neat stain on the neck of my bass once the defretting process is complete. I was thinking of doing orange or red highlights to accentuate the 3TS finish on the body of the bass. I still want the majority of the fretboard to be close regular color. I just want the grain to pop in a different color.

Does this sound plausible? Can it look good or will it look like crap?

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
leftyguitarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Northern Winds

iron blast is a jewel in the rough
Why no ebony stain?

Bassist in the Symphonic Black Metal band "Ethereal Blood"
https://www.facebook.com/EtherealBlo...p_178091127385
iron blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Unless the fretboard is extremely light in color (light not dry), you're not really going to see much color, especially oranges or reds which are similar to the brown tones already apparent in most all cheaper Rosewood.

When you go to the hardware store to look at stain, you'll notice they'll usually have a display or even show on the can what a certain stain will look like over dark and light colored woods.

Now, if you want to do something cool, mix together some different colored filler and use that when filling the fret slots. There was a guy on Talkbass some years back that filled in the lines on a Maple boarded P-Bass with bright blue filler/epoxy. Matched the basses teal color wonderfully.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
more bigger

aaron_rose is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mix the dye with wood filler then scrape it across the grain let it sit for 5 mins then wipe it off with a t shirt or rag preferably something that wont leave little hairs on it, that's what i did with my guitar and it looks amazing and was fast and easy.

Http://www.soundcloud.com/DragonsTeeth
aaron_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_rose View Post
mix the dye with wood filler then scrape it across the grain let it sit for 5 mins then wipe it off with a t shirt or rag preferably something that wont leave little hairs on it, that's what i did with my guitar and it looks amazing and was fast and easy.
Any pics?

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
leftyguitarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
more bigger

aaron_rose is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My adventure with my first 7 string build.

not very good example maybe but trust me its the best way to get the woods grain to take color, u basically sink it into the open pores with the putty/dye and then when u wipe it off you get the color of the wood retained with the pores being colored, not sure if that's what you had in mind but its all i got :/

Http://www.soundcloud.com/DragonsTeeth
aaron_rose is offline   Reply With Quote