homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
RF

Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
26 3/16" scale length

Hi guys, I'm definitely getting a BRJ. I know about the BFR, but I've dealt with the Jackson Custom Shop; I've waited before. One thing I'm thinking about is the 26 3/16" scale length. My favorite scale length is 25.5" but the higher frets are spaced a little closer together than I'd like. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the 26 3/16", how it feels, is it close to a 25.5? etc... thanks guys
Black Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
..to pay the beels

skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Hey welcome to the forum!

I have a 26.5" scale and i love it- very comfortable in the upper register. My hand stays loose and not all bunched up.
Since I've gotten used to it, 25.5"scale seems kind of dinky now. Like a toy!
I actually want a 27" now.
skeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
RF

Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.Black Mamba is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeels View Post
Hey welcome to the forum!

I have a 26.5" scale and i love it- very comfortable in the upper register. My hand stays loose and not all bunched up.
Since I've gotten used to it, 25.5"scale seems kind of dinky now. Like a toy!
I actually want a 27" now.
thanks for the warm welcome and info!
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Sea Turtles mate

Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Yep, it's roughly 1" more nothing major.

I have a couple 26.5" guitars & cannot really tell much difference other than I can use lower tunings without having huge ass strings.

The string tension is the reason behind the 26.3/16" scale I do believe, Correct me if I wrong but I do know that it's not considered a baritone scale length.

The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
27 inch is like adding one fret behind the nut and removing the 24th, so everything feels one fret lower.
So 26 3/16 will be even less significant than that.
If you want bigger spacing in the highs and could cope with stretching one or two frets lower when riffing, then 27 or 28.625 would suit you
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
jbg
Guitar builder

jbg is on a distinguished road
26 3/16" is a banjo scale length:
STEWMAC.COM : Dual Fret Scale Templates
jbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I have 26 3/16 on a 7 stringer. Went with that scale to give myself more space on the higher frets as well, and it's very comfortable. I do notice an improvement on the spacing on the higher registers, but it doesn't bother me at all on the lower ones. I also have a 27.5" scale sixer, and even then the stretches are not an issue... of course I have pretty big hands.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
RF

Thanks for the info guys, one other thing I'm debating is 624 vs 627. The only thing with the 27 is the pickup spacing, would the longer scale length help that?
Unread 06-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #9

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
26 3/16 is about 26.2", actually slightly less.

So 27" is actually farther away from 26 3/16 than 26 3/16 is from 25.5

26 3/16 is also closer of a distance from 25.5 than 25.5 is from the 24.75 Les Paul length.

27" feels the same as 25.5" meaning that the frets are spaced nearly identical but only one fret lower. If there could be another fret lower than the first on a 25.5" then it would be about exactly 1.5" so 27" sort of feels the same but 26.5" is awesome. While I have no issues with 27" and love it, I do find that I can simply shred quicker and more effortlessly on standard scale. Im thinking 26 3/16 might be the best, I will have to wait till my Rico comes through.
leonardo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I found the extra length on my 26 3/8" BRJ too much, and didn't like it. I just couldn't get it too feel right.

I'd suggest trying some extended length guitars if you can. You could always order one 25.5" scale.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Bowes Guitars

canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I use the 26 inch scale on all of my 6's and 7's. I've got short fingers and I've never felt hampered by it at all.
canuck brian is offline   Reply With Quote