homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By littledoc
  • 1 Post By BradleyWilloughby
  • 1 Post By Necris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

BradleyWilloughby will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ESP Custom Shop. Any real world customers?

Anybody on here have experience with the ESP custom shop? I've really been wanting one and I'm halfway to what I'm wanting (before I change my mind again, hahaha). Basically, what I'm wanting to know is general price range for a custom and how long it would take. I know it would be different depending on the build and options, but I just want the most common price range. Thanks for any help in advance!
BradleyWilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Ormsby nutter

capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The ESP custom shop built guitars are exceptional but you will be paying for the quality.
You'll be looking at anywhere between $4k right up to $10k and beyond when you have some more extravagant features. Production times are generally between 1-2 years.
Make sure it's something you really want and plan to keep because you will lose a lot selling it second hand.
capoeiraesp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Stuck_in_a_dream is just really niceStuck_in_a_dream is just really nice
I can see that the money that goes for a custom ESP will be well worth it, but 1-2 yrs. waiting time? That's quite a long time.
Stuck_in_a_dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Go meat!

littledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think that unless you're getting something really far out (like this), you're better off just sticking to the production models. Or, for the same or less than you'd spend on a custom ESP (and in less time), you could get something like a fully custom Vik which in my opinion is a superior, more unique and more beautiful guitar.

In terms of things like the quality of the fretwork, the woods, the finishes, etc. etc., there are diminishing returns... you can easily end up paying vastly more money for negligible bumps in quality. Many people have a hard time telling the difference between LTDs and ESPs in tone or feel, and don't think a custom would exist on some other plane of reality above all other axes. Plus, if you decided in a year that you didn't really care for it as much after the honeymoon phase wore off, you're SOL on resale value.
sell2792 and Solodini like this.
littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Ormsby nutter

capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/capoeiraesp is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
What are the specs you're thinking of going with?
Here's something to consider which will be cheaper and faster.
ESP Exclusive Custom/Limited Run 6 & 7-String Guitars @ The Axe Palace
He can pretty much have any STD series customized to a degree.
capoeiraesp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
pixel pusher

mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
ESP's custom shop does great work but is probably one of the more expensive shops. I had a custom camo Horizon done a couple years back and it was $4.5k. It took alittle over 1 year to get, but that is typical for alot of custom shops. Communication was pretty minimal and vague. The guitar does play great but there are a few things I wish they would have asked/communicated about to totally nail. If you can find something you like that is close used you will save alot of money.
mikernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Rock4ever is a jewel in the rough
This dude has one. Sexy as hell too

NGD!!! (ESP Special Order FTW!)

Or rather he did...looks like he sold it on another forum.
Rock4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

spawnofthesith is just really nicespawnofthesith is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock4ever View Post
This dude has one. Sexy as hell too

NGD!!! (ESP Special Order FTW!)

Or rather he did...looks like he sold it on another forum.
I'm pretty sure thats a special order, not a custom shop, no?
spawnofthesith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #9
√εvil

glpg80 is just really niceglpg80 is just really nice
I also have a special order with a custom shop M-II neck for a different profile. I also changed the colour to snow white which is not offered in the states, only in Germany/Europe/Japan.

Build time was 1.5 years. I paid in full in august of 2009 and did not receive it until March-April of 2011. It takes 8 weeks alone for ESP USA to receive it (6 weeks by boat) in California before shipping it to your dealer who then checks for damages and proper setup to your recommendations before shipping it to you.

Communication with your dealer is all you will have, and that will be vague as communications to Japan will be limited on a need-to-know basis - basically checking to make sure it is built to your specs. If you do not hear anything that is good - it means they did not/have not ....ed it up.

Communication is hard, they fubared mine badly the first time with a neck-through maple/rosewood M-II in snow white which is not what i ordered, so the process had to be repeated about half way through. I could have taken the rosewood FB M-II for the same price as the maple FB/Neck at no additional cost but turned it down - their maple necks are that good/worth it.

Their customer service is top notch, their warranty is top notch, build quality is top notch, and they work to serve the customer. All of that is worth the extra piece of mind to me. I do not regret going ESP for my special custom/custom shop order.
glpg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Thanks to people for answers! 1.5 years? Jeez. I really didn't think it would be that long. I wasn't going to go too extravagant. Basically an M 7 String with DiMarzio pickups and a quilt maple top, natural finish all over. And Floyd Rose just put out the Pro 7 model, so I was looking into that, as well. I put all the info that I wanted into the custom quote form and it rounded out to $7800.
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
ss.org Regular

IB-studjent- is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyWilloughby View Post
Thanks to people for answers! 1.5 years? Jeez. I really didn't think it would be that long. I wasn't going to go too extravagant. Basically an M 7 String with DiMarzio pickups and a quilt maple top, natural finish all over. And Floyd Rose just put out the Pro 7 model, so I was looking into that, as well. I put all the info that I wanted into the custom quote form and it rounded out to $7800.
it'll be a little less when you pass it by a dealer

-Vik duality 8 fanned fret-
-Vik DCA baritone 6 string
-

This just in:
Apologies to the other Abasi fanbois out there....I have just recently - yesterday actually - moved to a new favorite guitarist. stated a relavent member of the music community.
IB-studjent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Augminished Studio

Augminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of light
If I remember currently, it could have been schecter, they only have two guys in there custom shop now. I heard this from a dealer that orders esp customs all the time. This could be wrong info as I have never dealt with ESP myself but it could explain the time frames.

Check out my Facebook: Augminished-Studio

Augminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Master Chugger

sell2792 is a jewel in the rough
ESP's custom shop stuff is sick, but for the money and time I think their are a lot better options.

"Show me an elitist, and I'll show you a loser."

"My relationship to music is completely subliminal, it just flows through me.”
sell2792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
dEUs

ExhumedShadow is just really niceExhumedShadow is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

This might be your thing:

ESP CUSTOM SHOP M-Seven Black 26.25 Scale 7-String Electric Guitar

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."
ExhumedShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
√εvil

glpg80 is just really niceglpg80 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB-studjent- View Post
Yes and no, dealer quoted me 8 months on mine haha. Realistically 1 year for production + 2 months for shipping and that is the bare minimum.

All i wanted was a snow white paint job and a different neck contour on a bolt on neck. Still took a while.
glpg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhumedShadow View Post
Eh, no.
NeoTheMaggot likes this.
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Bonitis.

Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
1 1/2 years isn't long at all for a custom, there are some builders with a waiting list that long or longer. And the price shouldn't be a surprise, you're not paying for a production model with some tweaks, you're paying for a guitar built from the ground up to your specs.
otisct20 likes this.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Leatherneck

dooredge is just really nicedooredge is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sell2792 View Post
ESP's custom shop stuff is sick, but for the money and time I think their are a lot better options.

^This.

I priced a custom shop order on the Schecter website a few months back. I was blown away by the price. I don't remember the exact figure but was > $4000. I don't mind a wait at all, but I think for the money you could find just as nice a guitar made by Carvin & others.

I do love ESP guitars though. The NGD link to that blue ESP Eclipse above is sick.

dooredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #19
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB-studjent- View Post
I thought it probably would be.
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
ss.org Regular

Crowned is headed in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck_in_a_dream View Post
I can see that the money that goes for a custom ESP will be well worth it, but 1-2 yrs. waiting time? That's quite a long time.
no it's about 8-12 months
Crowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
ss.org Regular

IB-studjent- is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by glpg80 View Post
Yes and no, dealer quoted me 8 months on mine haha. Realistically 1 year for production + 2 months for shipping and that is the bare minimum.

All i wanted was a snow white paint job and a different neck contour on a bolt on neck. Still took a while.
I'm talking about the price

-Vik duality 8 fanned fret-
-Vik DCA baritone 6 string
-

This just in:
Apologies to the other Abasi fanbois out there....I have just recently - yesterday actually - moved to a new favorite guitarist. stated a relavent member of the music community.
IB-studjent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah you can get more out of you money going to smaller luthiers but then there's always risk, you never know if they'll pull a Roter/Sherman/BRJ/Woods/etc...with a custom shop guitar from esp you at least know you won't get scammed.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote