homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

theleem will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing inlay color

Hey guys, so I just picked up a 7321 a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to do a little bit of customization on it, changing pickups, nut, tuners, etc. Another thing I want to do is change the color of the inlays to match the red pickups I'm getting. I was just wondering if there is an effective way to do this without drilling out the old inlays, maybe a cover of some kind? Frankly I don't have the skill or equipment to do this at the moment, and I don't want to take the risk of ruining the neck.

Sorry if this question has been asked already, but I did a search and couldn't find any answers that didn't involve drilling the old inlays out. Thanks in advance for the advice!
theleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
They have decals to cover them. I don't have the link handy but I know folks here have used them.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

bouVIP is a splendid one to beholdbouVIP is a splendid one to beholdbouVIP is a splendid one to beholdbouVIP is a splendid one to beholdbouVIP is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Inlay Stickers Decals For Guitar and Bass, Ukulele... Removable Type

Pretty sure that's the only option, but I'm not sure if they last very long and are good to use.
bouVIP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Objects in Space

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouVIP View Post
Inlay Stickers Decals For Guitar and Bass, Ukulele... Removable Type

Pretty sure that's the only option, but I'm not sure if they last very long and are good to use.
They last a while before the top clear layer starts to peel off (I think this is very shape dependent, also) and don't really leave anything when they come off. They also look surprisingly good - stuck PRS birds on my acoustic and had pyramids on my old 7421.

Likes are good, rep is better!

SchecterWhore: Artistic voice is the same as your speaking voice.
Two people can say the same thing and come across differently in a lot of ways.
When my girlfriend and I are walking through a crowd, she squeaks "Excuse me!" and sounds cute and non-threatening.
I say "Excuse me," and the person in front of us thinks they're about to get butt-raped by Barry White.
asher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
Swyse

Swyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sev...ng-inlays.html
Thats a good read if you want to try removing the inlays and replacing them.

i prefer the reverse stranger where I sit on my dick till it's numb, so it feels like I'm jerking a stranger off - theo in chat
Swyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
The inlay stickers are pretty okay. I used the birds and they stayed on and looked good for quite a while. After a few months the clear layer peeled off as Asher mentioned but they still looked good after that and didn't peel any more.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

theleem will become famous soon enough
Nice, thanks you guys!
theleem is offline   Reply With Quote