homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Intellect's Minion

GTailly is just really niceGTailly is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Cool Just ordered my first Siggery custom 7 FF

Like the title says I just sent the first deposit for my custom Siggery 7 fanned fret.

Here are the specs:

- Guitar: 7 string fanned fret 27' - 25.5'
- Body shape: Blackmachine B7 thin body like on this one
http://www.siggeryguitars.co.uk/sigg...palted%202.htm
- Body woods: Ash body with ebony top and ivoroid binding
- Headstock: Blackmachine headstock with ivoroid binding
- Neck profile: Blackmachine specs
- Neck: 5 piece neck bolt-on construction
- Neck woods: Wenge neck with two maple stripes
- Inlays: Side full-fret rectangles. No inlays on fretboard
- Fretboard: Rosewood
- Tuners: Sperzel locking tuners
- Pickups: Siggery custom
- Electronic: 1 volume 1 tone 3 way switch
- Bridge: Siggery custom bridge
- Hardware color: Black
- Finish: Entirely tung oiled

Can't wait to see this baby.
I will try to post pictures of the construction.

Pikka Bird and summit101 like this.

"The strongest principle of growth lies in the human choice." - George Eliot
GTailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Old Randalls?

Mitochondria is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I plan on ordering one this summer. I am interested how this goes so.... Subscribed! keep us posted
GTailly likes this.
Mitochondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
do u evn djent fggt?

JosephAOI is a splendid one to beholdJosephAOI is a splendid one to beholdJosephAOI is a splendid one to beholdJosephAOI is a splendid one to beholdJosephAOI is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
It sucks that a lot of the business Siggery gets is people wanting Blackmachine clones

"Your picking hand scares me, Joseph" - My friend Pete

"If you can't enjoy one Meshuggah riff looped
for three hours straight, you're doing it wrong." -prh

"Having technical prowess is like masturbation: it's pretty
cool and it might please you, but there is still no emotional
connection between you and your hands." - broj15
JosephAOI is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
It's kind of weird he hasn't recieved a cease and desist or 7.
Konfyouzd likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Da .... is up w that Swyse Army Knife shit?

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Intellect's Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephAOI View Post
It sucks that a lot of the business Siggery gets is people wanting Blackmachine clones

I honestly don't see the problem. If he is willing to make them why not? His quality is more than impressive and his prices too. In the very end. who gives a shit what the guitar looks like really? It is way more how it plays and sounds and its construction quality.

Honestly, BM are cool but I would much rather work with a guy like Marty whose prices are accessible and whose work is awesome. Because, yes, I do believe BM's are way overpriced, sorry.

This is only my true and honest opinion sorry if it offenses some of you.

Unread 04-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
ralugeR gro.ss

Ayo7e will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephAOI View Post
Not everyone can afford a 6000+ blackmachine, I wonder why it sucks...

Congrats for your Siggery, I'm waiting for mine.
GTailly and PeteIOM like this.

Siggery 7 (incoming).
Ayo7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Intellect's Minion

Exactly.

Thanks man! What's your specs?

Unread 04-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

eddiewarlock is a jewel in the rough
Poor man's blackmachine? hehehe

Cool

It's a shame though i can't see a good frontal pic of his guitars.

From what i've seen, it's not a 100% copy of a BM, so that's why he can't get a cease and desist letter.

It's a superstrat with a spalted maple top and binding. BM certainly didn't invent that...
eddiewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
This Fury Reborn

abadonae is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by In(Di)visions View Post
I honestly don't see the problem. If he is willing to make them why not? His quality is more than impressive and his prices too. In the very end. who gives a shit what the guitar looks like really? It is way more how it plays and sounds and its construction quality.

Honestly, BM are cool but I would much rather work with a guy like Marty whose prices are accessible and whose work is awesome. Because, yes, I do believe BM's are way overpriced, sorry.

This is only my true and honest opinion sorry if it offenses some of you.
Exactly, i'm getting a siggery made at the moment and i've got nothing but good things to say about his service and from what i can see the quality of his guitars!!

I think Black Machine are massively overpriced, they're lovely looking guitars don't get me wrong but there is no justification behind his prices being that highly priced when there are other luthiers doing just as impressive stuff if not more for less...considerably less
GTailly likes this.

if one man dies its a tragedy,
if a million men die its a statistic,

Josef Stalin
abadonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadonae View Post
Exactly, i'm getting a siggery made at the moment and i've got nothing but good things to say about his service and from what i can see the quality of his guitars!!

I think Black Machine are massively overpriced, they're lovely looking guitars don't get me wrong but there is no justification behind his prices being that highly priced when there are other luthiers doing just as impressive stuff if not more for less...considerably less

Well, what's the point on getting a Gibson or a Fender then??

We all should buy Tokais or Edwards guitars. Gibsons are overpriced and there is no justification behind their prices...

He charges what he charges because he created those instruments and there are people more than willing to pay what he charges for one of his creations.

The rest, are just imitators.

I wouldn't buy a Gibson or a BM. But i don't think he is overpriced or whatever...
Unread 04-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #13
ss.org Regular

PeteIOM will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewarlock View Post
Well, what's the point on getting a Gibson or a Fender then??
Because some people want the REAL DEAL and some can't afford that and then there's some that no longer see the need to pay 'art' money for something that isn't going to hang on the wall all its life.

There's very little in the guitar world that can be classed as unique and souly of one designer. I bought my first Parker Fly Deluxe in '96.. in all fairness the black machine headstock isn't really a million miles from that is it. But what he has done is take is own angle on something he likes maybe.
There a few headstock designs that work.. look at the warmoth site.. there all listed lol
As for shape.. well BM can hardly claim any rights over that.. the thing that BM seems to do is build BIG sounding guitars in a seriously stealth like package.

Quote:
We all should buy Tokais or Edwards guitars. Gibsons are overpriced and there is no justification behind their prices...
Except you are buying a brand name... to some people that means alot.
Quote:
He charges what he charges because he created those instruments and there are people more than willing to pay what he charges for one of his creations.
Totally... if they didn't see, he would make them. But then again I think Damien Hirst (british 'artist') is a waste of space and a complete waste of money... but that doesn't stop people buying his 'tat' for millions.
Quote:
The rest, are just imitators.

I wouldn't buy a Gibson or a BM. But i don't think he is overpriced or whatever...
Totally... someone who wants a BM isn't going to be ever satisfied with a copy, but I think they know that. No matter how close it is, it will always be a clone. Which I think is fine. These people can not justify or likely ever be able to afford a BM so it does nothing to BM's order book...
In my opinion.
PeteIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

0 Xero 0 is a jewel in the rough
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but even if you do get a "BM clone" from Siggery, it's not going to be a BM no matter what you do to it. I haven't played a BM (hopefully I will someday...), but Doug does some pretty innovative chambering from what most BM owners and Doug say. Also, the way he constructs his guitars is very unique from other builders. I think a lot of people forget about construction methods and the impact they have on tone and timbre. This is probably the reason there haven't been cease letters, haha. Doug usually writes people who copy his work off because they don't understand how a certain attribute affects tone.

Ok, now that I said that, it sounds like you have a good guitar spec'd up. I hope it doesn't take to long to get to you. I heard that Siggery wait times have been pretty long lately.

Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?
0 Xero 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
ss.org Regular

PeteIOM will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 Xero 0 View Post
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but even if you do get a "BM clone" from Siggery, it's not going to be a BM no matter what you do to it. I haven't played a BM (hopefully I will someday...), but Doug does some pretty innovative chambering from what most BM owners and Doug say. Also, the way he constructs his guitars is very unique from other builders. I think a lot of people forget about construction methods and the impact they have on tone and timbre. This is probably the reason there haven't been cease letters, haha. Doug usually writes people who copy his work off because they don't understand how a certain attribute affects tone.

Ok, now that I said that, it sounds like you have a good guitar spec'd up. I hope it doesn't take to long to get to you. I heard that Siggery wait times have been pretty long lately.

Totally... and the majority of people that want a BM copy have no real idea of what one sounds like anyway... they just like the shape/design.. which to be honest is massively high on most peoples list.
Youtube clips just don't define a guitars sound in my opinion..
PeteIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

DjentDjentlalala has a spectacular aura about
more than "poor man's Blackmachine" i'd say "the right-priced Blackmachine" hahahaha
DjentDjentlalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

well, now that it's been brought up, what construction methods employs Dog that makes his axes so radically different???

All i can say it's careful timber selection with his ash bodies.

He uses ebony tops, which are unusual.

Also unusual are his necks made of rosewood and ebony, but nothing of that makes me thinks that the way he builds his guitars are innovative in any way.

He just has one model which is very similar to an Ibanez RG, which i have to say it's very beautiful, and a headstock design that's similar to that of a Parker.

All in all, i am not saying this to diss the man, or his creations. MY hat's off to him.

I am just honestly asking because of all forums i am registered in, this is the one where there is a hype about his guitars and i would really like to know about the construction methods.

I do think his guitars are very beautiful. But would i buy one? I highly doubt it, not even if i had the money.
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjentDjentlalala View Post
more than "poor man's Blackmachine" i'd say "the right-priced Blackmachine" hahahaha

how much are the Siggery??

That said, poor man's BM was a joke. I like some of the Siggery better than a BM

Specially the RG bodied guitar with Rico Jr. headstock.
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

DjentDjentlalala has a spectacular aura about
i knew it was a joke,i was kidding bro
eddiewarlock likes this.
DjentDjentlalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
I hope that the OP will enjoy their guitar... seems to be the only important thing here.

Most "super strats" out there are about about 85% identical in terms of shape and features. There's no real point in squabbling over similarities between two builders who do very nice work with designs that ultimately aren't their own to claim.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

LolWotGuitar is a jewel in the rough
Got my Siggery finishing up within the next couple of weeks...(hopefully)

Everything has gone pretty well,
Only bad thing I have to say is that it has taken so long. ~6 months at this point.
No pictures yet, rare updates. But still he's a really nice guy and is doing his work and I know he has a lot of work.
Can't wait for it.

Grats on getting one built mate.
GTailly likes this.
LolWotGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

0 Xero 0 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewarlock View Post
well, now that it's been brought up, what construction methods employs Dog that makes his axes so radically different???

All i can say it's careful timber selection with his ash bodies.

He uses ebony tops, which are unusual.

Also unusual are his necks made of rosewood and ebony, but nothing of that makes me thinks that the way he builds his guitars are innovative in any way.

He just has one model which is very similar to an Ibanez RG, which i have to say it's very beautiful, and a headstock design that's similar to that of a Parker.

All in all, i am not saying this to diss the man, or his creations. MY hat's off to him.

I am just honestly asking because of all forums i am registered in, this is the one where there is a hype about his guitars and i would really like to know about the construction methods.

I do think his guitars are very beautiful. But would i buy one? I highly doubt it, not even if i had the money.
I can't say what makes them different aside from the chambering he uses, timber selection, and overall shape of the guitar. Misha has said on several occasions that Doug builds guitars like no one else he has ever seen so I'll take his word for it. Also, the price debacle is pointless. Do any of you know how much Stradivariuses go for or any other older instrument? Go ask a music major or symphony musician how much his or her violin / cello / clarinet / oboe /etc. costs and your jaw will drop. But at the end of the day, we can theorize what makes x instrument different from y instrument until we're red in the face but that's all we're doing, theorizing. Unfortunately, > 85 percent of the people on this forum will probably never play a Blackmachine, so these discussions are rather fruitless.
Demiurge and BlackMastodon like this.

Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?
0 Xero 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

Well, i wouldn't take what Misha says as gospel, hehehe

He pretty much says that about all the guitars he gets

I would do the same if i got them for free like he does.
Unread 04-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
Kane's Bane

Danukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
I can't say what makes them different aside from the chambering he uses, timber selection, and overall shape of the guitar. Misha has said on several occasions that Doug builds guitars like no one else he has ever seen so I'll take his word for it. Also, the price debacle is pointless. Do any of you know how much Stradivariuses go for or any other older instrument? Go ask a music major or symphony musician how much his or her violin / cello / clarinet / oboe /etc. costs and your jaw will drop. But at the end of the day, we can theorize what makes x instrument different from y instrument until we're red in the face but that's all we're doing, theorizing. Unfortunately, > 85 percent of the people on this forum will probably never play a Blackmachine, so these discussions are rather fruitless.
I'd say there is a placebo effect with Black Machines. I don't doubt they are amazing. In fact, with the universal praise I'm sure they are amazing.

But look at he history of $1m dollar violins. Often, most people, even trained violinists can't hear the difference in a blind test. I'd love to see a really intense comparison between a BM and another guitar that have identical specs. The only comparison currently available is...problematic.
Danukenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Misha has said on several occasions that Doug builds guitars like no one else he has ever seen so I'll take his word for it.
Well, you can be the most amazingly brilliant guitarist and still believe in nothing but guitar mojo voodoo. At any rate, BM guitars sell, so the price is justified. If there is or isn't some discernible difference can never be agreed upon, but if there is then it's going to be something like the old concept of paying 99% more for 1% extra. In a way they have become Veblen goods, like many prestigious instruments tend to.
Pikka Bird is online now   Reply With Quote