homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bob123
  • 1 Post By bob123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Purelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newspaper Finish Guitar

So i saw the Regius 6 paper from mayones and decided thats exactly what i wanna do with a short scale guitar im planning to build next.

Mayones Regius 6 Paper - Master Builder Collection 2011

i intend to use newspapers from World War II or something like that cause WWII just fascinates me.

So my question is this:

to achieve this finish should i print out high quality digitized old newspapers?
or buy actual re-prints and use them.

and

What should i coat it with to preserve it before final finish with a clearcoat? epoxy?
Purelojik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Remember that "liquid glass" you were asking about? you soak the paper in that and lay it on. Make sure you put it over a white basecoast, else you wont like the results
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Purelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Remember that "liquid glass" you were asking about? you soak the paper in that and lay it on. Make sure you put it over a white basecoast, else you wont like the results
white basecoat...damn totally forgot that. thanks for the reminder dude.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purelojik View Post
white basecoat...damn totally forgot that. thanks for the reminder dude.
Learned that one the hard way Tried a newspaper finish once, put it over red..... made the paper a lovely pink color! I was pretty damn mad haha
Purelojik likes this.
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

so should i glue the newspaper on the white basecoat? im thinking dipping it in the liquid glass would get streaks or something like that. if i just glue it all on at once then pour that shizzle on top wont that work better?
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I think projectguitar.com has instructions on how to do something like that. Might paper be similar? I remember covering a bottle with tissue paper in first grade and all I remember us doing was laying the paper over the bottle and smearing some glue-like substance over it. I imagine any streaks or roughness could be dealt with using sand paper and such after a few coats, no?

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Banned

No, paper and fabric work separately. The paper wont "streak" if you apply it level...
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
No, paper and fabric work separately. The paper wont "streak" if you apply it level...
aaaand thats the problem lol. i will inevitably screw some part of that up lol. who knows maybe this will be the time i get that right. but any other alternatives?
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purelojik View Post
aaaand thats the problem lol. i will inevitably screw some part of that up lol. who knows maybe this will be the time i get that right. but any other alternatives?
Epoxy is really the best way, get a glue spreader (body filler spreader, auto zone or similar stores, about 1$), and you wont have too many issues.

Also, use normal masking tape or electrical tape for the edges, seems to work better then painters tape.
Purelojik likes this.