homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter
  
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
ss.org Regular
 
matt012ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 106
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
matt012ib will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spalt Custom Build + info on guitars needed!

Hi guys

I've posted about getting a custom guitar build here before and nothing has come about, although now it actually will as I've put in money to make it happen - I'm ready to go, just finalising a few specifications! The guitar is custom being built by Spalt Guitars and is a mixture of Ibanez Universe/K7 series guitars and my custom ideas. The specs are below and might change slightly, I will update this thread with pictures and details as the build progresses.

Specifications:
Neck: 2003 Ibanez K7 neck dimensions
Construction: Neck-thru
Neck wood: 5 piece walnut with thin maple stripes
Body wings wood: Maple
Backing wings wood: Mahogany
Horn (upper): Aluminium
Horn (lower): Wood
Neck Pickup: Blaze neck Humbucker
Middle Pickup: Blaze Single Coil
Bridge Pickup: Blaze bridge Humbucker
Bridge: LoPro 7
Tuners: GOTOH with locking nut
Pickup selector: 5-way
Knobs: 1 volume knob only
Lead input: Angled like on Universe/JEM guitars


The second part of this thread is my funding. I'm going to sell my Ibanez K7 (FB, 8/10 condition, stock with case and books) and my Ibanez Universe MC Swirl (9/10 condition, case) fund this custom guitar - I don't play them enough compared to some of my other UV's and 7's. Does anyone know what I should be pricing these guitars at? I will get pictures of these as soon as I can and probably use my eBay account to list them. Any experts at pricing who could give me reasonable ballpark figures that would be great - these ARE NOT for sale here, just need some info on them - if it will be hard to sell, prices they normally go for etc. Just general advice.

If anyone wants to give me advice on a build or what pickups I should use or any other information please do as I've only put down Blaze pickups for the guitar as a placeholder until I (if I) come across anything better. I usually like a low, heavy sound for riffing but I do like to solo and use the whammy a bit, so I'm really stuck for pickup combos. If anyone has cool pictures of custom guitars to give me ideas of ideas for anything on the guitar that would be amazing or unique, please share them I'm new to custom builds and have little experience with anything other than Ibanez/Fender and Spalt designed guitars.


I hope this build will inspire people to consider custom builds and guitar work.
matt012ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Kane's Bane
 
Danukenator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 2,315
Thanked: 30
Danukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I find it funny that Spalt Guitars is not using a spalted top.

EDIT: I was being a .... who doesn't read posts.
Danukenator is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
ss.org Regular
 
matt012ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 106
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
matt012ib will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukenator View Post
I find it funny that Spalt Guitars is not using a spalted top.

Also, listing stuff for sale out side of the for sale section is a big no-no as well as doing so before having 100+ posts and being a member for more than 6 months. Not trying to be a mini mod, I suggest reading the for sale rules.
Thanks, but the items are not for sale in this thread, I only need advice on what they are worth. If they aren't worth selling I'll keep them, but they aren't being sold here
matt012ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Extended Ranger
 
Hollowway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 9,282
Thanked: 133
Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Wait, is this Michael Spalt that's building these?! Like, the Apex, Hybrid Spalt?
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
ss.org Regular
 
matt012ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 106
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
matt012ib will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Wait, is this Michael Spalt that's building these?! Like, the Apex, Hybrid Spalt?

I'm talking with him now to get one seven string built and possibly one six string, the same specifications for the six string. He is extremely knowledgeable, very much the best custom guitar luthier I've come across. I would recommend him to almost anybody looking for a custom guitar.

The guitar is a mixture of superstrat, hybrid apex, and others. Weird, yes, but I think it will turn out cool.
matt012ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Kane's Bane
 
Danukenator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 2,315
Thanked: 30
Danukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt012ib View Post
Thanks, but the items are not for sale in this thread, I only need advice on what they are worth. If they aren't worth selling I'll keep them, but they aren't being sold here

Oh shit, I'm sorry man. That's what happens when you post between rounds in World of Tanks.


To actually answer your questions. For tone, IDK. Can you give an example of something close to the actual tone. Like a band's sound or a song. Low and heavy can mean a couple things. I'd consider both Slayer and Candlemass to be low and heavy.

For the guitars, Ebay has a feature where you can see what other items similar to your search have sold for. It's not exact but it is a good starting place. You do need an account to see this though.
Danukenator is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
Banned
 
bob123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,683
Thanked: 54
bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
gonna need to see your UV MC, Its worth either 2000 or 8000 lol.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
ss.org Regular
 
matt012ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 106
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
matt012ib will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukenator View Post
Oh shit, I'm sorry man. That's what happens when you post between rounds in World of Tanks.


To actually answer your questions. For tone, IDK. Can you give an example of something close to the actual tone. Like a band's sound or a song. Low and heavy can mean a couple things. I'd consider both Slayer and Candlemass to be low and heavy.

For the guitars, Ebay has a feature where you can see what other items similar to your search have sold for. It's not exact but it is a good starting place. You do need an account to see this though.

Not a problem, don't worry i re-read what I posted and I revised it slightly to be clearer what I'm asking in regards to market value of guitars. I'll have to look into this eBay feature, it could be useful. I have seen some overpriced guitars on there though! haha.

In regards to low and heavy, I mean anything like Lamb of God or Korn and in regards to my soloing tones I usually go with Joe Satriani or Steve Vai style; Jimmy Page on occasion too. Those are the main tones I work with, I tend to leave out little details like this!

Examples of tone below, hopefully I can make one guitar manage to hit most of these tones as my current guitars don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-8gW3RFcOY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7v7X1tFMOw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaYD5PPXe9A
matt012ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
ss.org Regular
 
matt012ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 106
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
matt012ib will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
gonna need to see your UV MC, Its worth either 2000 or 8000 lol.
I'm not sure if I could get $8,000 for it, is there an active market for this kind of guitar? I'm thinking around $2,500 for it (I will post pictures once I work out where I want to be selling them); thanks for the info - I've looked all day into these UV's for sale, and really there aren't many actually for sale! Thanks again
matt012ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Banned
 
bob123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,683
Thanked: 54
bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt012ib View Post
I'm not sure if I could get $8,000 for it, is there an active market for this kind of guitar? I'm thinking around $2,500 for it (I will post pictures once I work out where I want to be selling them); thanks for the info - I've looked all day into these UV's for sale, and really there aren't many actually for sale! Thanks again
Again, depends on the specifics... if its an ATD in good condition, I have 2500 for you right now lol.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #11
ss.org Regular
 
matt012ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 106
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
matt012ib will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Again, depends on the specifics... if its an ATD in good condition, I have 2500 for you right now lol.
I have two UVMC's, one I know is a reissue because I bought it myself (not for sale) and the other I have from a friend, I purchased it from him recently for a few $. I'm no expert on the guitars I just play them, I'll make a thread for them sometime soon - I'm selling the one I recently purchased, I've decided to take it to a place in town to have it valued before I make a thread/post details about it. Also taking my K7 down too. I'm no good at valuing guitars, I can't tell the difference between the US swirls or the Japanese ones half the time! I'm the man who paid $400 for a Fender Squire.
matt012ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Banned
 
bob123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,683
Thanked: 54
bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt012ib View Post
I have two UVMC's, one I know is a reissue because I bought it myself (not for sale) and the other I have from a friend, I purchased it from him recently for a few $. I'm no expert on the guitars I just play them, I'll make a thread for them sometime soon - I'm selling the one I recently purchased, I've decided to take it to a place in town to have it valued before I make a thread/post details about it. Also taking my K7 down too. I'm no good at valuing guitars, I can't tell the difference between the US swirls or the Japanese ones half the time! I'm the man who paid $400 for a Fender Squire.
Do yourself a favor, send pictures to rich harris at ibanezrules.com

He is god to all things ibanez, and he will tell you exactly what it is and what it's worth. If he wants it bad enough, he may offer you to buy it as well.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #13
ss.org Regular
 
matt012ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 106
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
matt012ib will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Do yourself a favor, send pictures to rich harris at ibanezrules.com

He is god to all things ibanez, and he will tell you exactly what it is and what it's worth. If he wants it bad enough, he may offer you to buy it as well.
That's interesting, I will be doing this then thanks! I'm having a look at his site now and it's very content rich, great! I'll be sending a few pictures asap. Thanks for this.
matt012ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #14
Banned
 
bob123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,683
Thanked: 54
bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt012ib View Post
That's interesting, I will be doing this then thanks! I'm having a look at his site now and it's very content rich, great! I'll be sending a few pictures asap. Thanks for this.
send me some too while you're at it. pending cost, I may want it.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
ss.org Regular
 
matt012ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 106
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
matt012ib will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
send me some too while you're at it. pending cost, I may want it.
No problem, I'll probably make a thread for them anyway so I can link you to it.
matt012ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Our Network: PRS Guitar Forum | Luthier Forum | SG Guitar Forum | Les Paul Forum | Marshall Amp Forum | Acoustic Guitar Forum

SS.org proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2004-2014, SevenString.org. All Rights Reserved.