homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree61Likes

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Haliphron is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thoughts on Invictus Guitars

Hey everyone, I recently received a quote for a custom 7 from Invictus Guitars and they seem like a legitimate company, but I am hardcore skeptic when it comes to give a company I have no experience with hundreds of dollars over the internet to another country (I'm American by the way). If anyone can put my paranoia to rest about them I would appreciate it, because they look like they make sick instruments and I want one!
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Count Blastula

FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I've never tried one, but aesthetically they almost make me throw up. That's just me though. Maybe look into Strictly 7 since you're in the US? Siggery also has a good reputation and very fair prices. And of course there's Carvin, but it's not full custom...
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
lover of fine woods

mphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I got a quote too, but the numbers kept changing. They seem reputable & I like the Axis 8, but the shipping was enough to kill it for me. I'm debating a build with Jim at S7, really good guys from what I seen thur far & have a build going w/KxK...

Someone posted in the build section on someone's else's Invictus thread & said his Invictus he received was shit.

My advise would be to shop around first unless you're set on their body styles.
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

TheBigGroove is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
After talking with them a bit and checking out their FB for a few weeks, in my opinion their pretty understaffed for their order volume...seems like they've gotten a pretty big following once they started posting about Vildhjarta and Born of Osiris
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Haliphron is on a distinguished road
Thank you guys for the feedback and I will be sure to look at Siggery and S7. They quoted me at 1750 bps which didn't seem too crazy, but kind of too good to be true as far as an international company goes.
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

0 Xero 0 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just as some food for thought, Browne from Monuments and Leah from Aliases both like Invictus guitars. Of course, this is always subjective, but both of them have played some nice guitars and Leah regularly plays Blackmachines.

*disclaimer* I am in no way, shape, or form stating that Invictus guitars are on par with BMs. I'm just telling you that another person who plays BMs said they're similar in quality, but very different guitars.

Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
This Fury Reborn

abadonae is a jewel in the rough
I've heard nothing but good things about invictus guitars man, and i know your probably crapping a brick about sending large amounts of cash across the ocean but don't worry about it too much, i've done it to the US a number of times now and not had any issues with it at all.

Companies with larger followings like Invictus will undoubtedly try not .... up your money, its a reputation they really don't want hanging over their heads ya know

if one man dies its a tragedy,
if a million men die its a statistic,

Josef Stalin
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
This Fury Reborn

abadonae is a jewel in the rough
I'd definitely check out Siggery as well man, i'm in the process of getting a custom built with him (like sent the cash yesterday) and he's been nothing but awesome about the whole situation, his prices are brilliant and honestly his builds look like damn good quality too, i've heard guys on here who own one talk good things about them

if one man dies its a tragedy,
if a million men die its a statistic,

Josef Stalin
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Many Fingers

Valennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGroove View Post
After talking with them a bit and checking out their FB for a few weeks, in my opinion their pretty understaffed for their order volume...seems like they've gotten a pretty big following once they started posting about Vildhjarta and Born of Osiris
Yeah I'd be careful if I were you TS, they may produce quality guitars, but sometimes small companies get overwhelmed and take a good deal longer to pump out their guitars than they'd like.

That's not a crack, it's just me stating it happens. Look at BRJ, and the infamous Roter.

Affiliated with Ace Music of Newville, PA.

Unread 04-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
They havent been around too long it seems, personally...I wouldnt take the risk.

Jim at Strictly 7 is a very nice guy, I nearly bought one a while ago but had more money than I anticipated and bought a Vik instead. I wouldnt hesistate to buy an S7 if that's what your price range is.

My general rule of thumb for trustability (lol) is:

- More than 5 non-endorsees you can talk to and ask about their experiences
- More than 10 years of building
- No horror stories, if there are, then ask the person if everything turned out OK
- See how often what they say they are doing is actually happening, IE. Are quote times actually close to what the luthier in question is saying? Or are they like 15 months over? Obviously 99% of luthiers seem to go 1-3 month over but some end up going much much longer which is unacceptable in my opinion unless they have a valid excuse.
- How good is their communication? Unfortunately a lot of guys end up paying in full (never do this by the way) and then suddenly they stop getting replies to their emails! The experience I've had with Vik is great, I can talk to him within a 12 hour period if needed because hes usually on Facebook. For example, one time I went to wire him a payment but nearly wired 10k instead of 1k, so I got super stressed out and emailed him, he responded within like 2 hours and everything ended up working out

Those are just some things to think about I guess....also Darren's article is a good thing to read through...basically:

Cheap - Well Built - Built fast

Pick TWO.
AndreasD and engage757 like this.
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
7slinger

Lorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to all
I'm planning on taking a trip to their workshop to check out their guitars and if I really like what he has to offer then I'll spec out a build.

They must make high quality instruments if they've taken on several famous players who know their guitars(lee from BOO, Aliases etc) and can easily voice their opinion.

It does really help to try before you buy.
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

Ninetyfour has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawnacrol View Post
I'm planning on taking a trip to their workshop to check out their guitars and if I really like what he has to offer then I'll spec out a build.

They must make high quality instruments if they've taken on several famous players who know their guitars(lee from BOO, Aliases etc) and can easily voice their opinion.

It does really help to try before you buy.
They're doing a clinic in Leeds next month, very excited! A very smart thing for a company of Invictus' size to do, props to Vildhjarta and Veil of Maya for attending too.
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #13
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
They've only really become popular because they've been giving guitars to various bands, and so by association have made a name for themselves. They haven't built a population purely on quality like other respected luthiers. Not saying this means their guitars are shit, I'd just rather wait until more people who aren't endorsers have tried the instruments so you can get a better opinion on them. Obviously endorsers are probably going to give a little more positive opinion than might actually be the case.

That said, their guitars looks cool enough and I'm sure they play awesomely, just after hearing so many stories of people getting ....ed over even by reputable builders, I'm very sceptical of a lot of builders nowadays.
Bigfan and FrancescoFiligoi like this.
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Kane's Bane

Danukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to behold
With Siggery,I have to say. People are getting massive wait times (compared to what they were quoted). I've been waiting about three months, no end in sight for a six week build. So if you go Siggery, just know there will be a wait.

EDIT: I corrected my self, I said a two week build time, I meant six.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

jjcor is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Ive also been curious about invictus. Great advice so far. Recently I had to cancel a custom order as it turns out I couldnt afford 2 at the same time. Got a little too excited. But anyways I emailed them to get my deposit back because they havent started on it yet and they told me they didnt have the money. They are going to have to pay me back in payments that are going to span over 90 days. So in other words they spent my deposit on other peoples guitars. Is this the way custom builders normally work? If so thats kinda shitty. Or maybe someone here can clear up why they work this way? Not trying to hijack the thread. Maybe this will clear some things up about ordering a custom in general.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
I've been seeing everyone jump ship to them recently, and of course I can only judge from how they look, but some of the progress pictures make me really question the quality, and I worry for those who have put money down for orders.

(I know that 'progress' implies there will be a more polished look in the finished product.)
Rusti and FrancescoFiligoi like this.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #17
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukenator View Post
With Siggery,I have to say. People are getting massive wait times (compared to what they were quoted). I've been waiting about three months, no end in sight for a two week build. So if you go Siggery, just know there will be a wait.
You were quoted 2 weeks?
Bigfan likes this.

[Fiction] 1:47 pm: she could probably toss a salad with that thing
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcor View Post
Ive also been curious about invictus. Great advice so far. Recently I had to cancel a custom order as it turns out I couldnt afford 2 at the same time. Got a little too excited. But anyways I emailed them to get my deposit back because they havent started on it yet and they told me they didnt have the money. They are going to have to pay me back in payments that are going to span over 90 days. So in other words they spent my deposit on other peoples guitars. Is this the way custom builders normally work? If so thats kinda shitty. Or maybe someone here can clear up why they work this way? Not trying to hijack the thread. Maybe this will clear some things up about ordering a custom in general.
A deposit is paid to guarantee your build, it also usually covers the cost of materials in your build. They probably spent the money to buy whichever woods or what not you asked for. You should be happy your getting a deposit back at all.
UnderTheSign, Solodini and mphsc like this.

[Fiction] 1:47 pm: she could probably toss a salad with that thing
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
A deposit is paid to guarantee your build, it also usually covers the cost of materials in your build. They probably spent the money to buy whichever woodsor what not you asked for. You should be happy your getting a deposit back at all.
I understand that completely but they DIDN'T buy the wood for my build yet or any of the other parts. He clearly stated that he's got my money tied up in OTHERS builds and will have to wait to finish getting paid on those to get my money back.
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

kruneh is just really nicekruneh is just really nice
Quote:
I understand that completely but they DIDN'T buy the wood for my build yet or any of the other parts. He clearly stated that he's got my money tied up in OTHERS builds and will have to wait to finish getting paid on those to get my money back.
Running a business works that way.
You spend the money you have on what you need at the moment.
Itīs not like they put your money in an envelope and saves them for the parts for your guitar.
amarshism likes this.
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Running a business works that way. You spend the money you have on what you need at the moment. Itīs not like they put your money in an envelope and saves them for the parts for your guitar.
Don't know what businesses you've dealt with but the ones I've known don't do shit like that. O well .... it. Either way I gotta wait. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of problem.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Bowes Guitars

canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Normally you wouldn't get a deposit back if you cancelled an order. Kinda par for the course. In your case, the deposit should guarantee a spot but the guys should have said straight up if it was non-refundable or not.

1) You give a deposit so the luthier can buy parts/wood.

2) You cancel order, luthier is now in possession of parts and wood for your build that may not work with another build.

3) You ask for money back that the luthier no longer has because he bought parts and wood for your build.

"Kinda shitty" is being left holding the bag on pickups, bridge and woods which could clear 400 - 500. I already got left holding the bag on a set of Painkillers and a Floyd Rose last year after I bought the parts WITHOUT a deposit. Did the body and neck blank before I got the "yeah, sorry, i can't afford a guitar anymore."

ON TOPIC - They've got a lot of skill happening from what I can see in the photos and they look pretty slick.
Purelojik and Solodini like this.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

So I'm not in the wrong am I? I understand the no refund policy things and am lucky I get one.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #24
Bowes Guitars

canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
I guess no one here can read that they DID NOT PURCHASE the parts for my build. He clearly stated that.
Actually I did read it. The first line of my response mentioned that you're lucky to be getting anything back regardless. Most people have a non-refundable deposit.

I accidentially deleted a line above the numbers that said "how it normally goes".

EDIT - saw the change in what you wrote. I dont' really think you're in the wrong - if you give a deposit with the understanding that you're going to get it back if you back out, then it's definitely not cool that he's stated that your money is tied up elsewhere now. It does suck, but they're attempting to accommodate you as best they can. I've been taking deposits to order the electronics. I couldn't really care about having more wood around, it's just the electronics that I need to have covered as the rest of the hardware i use is almost identical on every guitar.
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
SS.org Regular

Yea I went back and edited mine. I didn't read yours thoroughly. And yes thats what I kinda thought a build was supposed to go.
Closed Thread