homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Daemoness Prices

Does anyone know around how much a Daemoness 7 string build costs? I know wood, inlays, pickups, etc. are all varying factors contributing to the cost, but I'm sure there is a general ball park that they cost. Thanks!
otisct20 likes this.
AlexWadeWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Email him man, its different for everything and im sure he would be willing to hook you up with a special price for a bit of promotion. Im surprised youre asking!
thrsher likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #3

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
I agree that emailing him is the best way to find out. Sometimes it is good to know a ballpark before bugging the builder or getting him all excited when its just a rough inquiry. Id like to know as well. I mean, for the average Joe is it a guarantee over 4K no matter what the specs? Is it possible for it to be somewhere between 2-3K? Id also really like to know if build times are below 6 months or over 10 months?
leonardo7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.AlexWadeWC is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Email him man, its different for everything and im sure he would be willing to hook you up with a special price for a bit of promotion. Im surprised youre asking!
I just want a nice custom built guitar. Just something totally unique. I mean I know my ESP 7 Tele is, but I just love how classy his guitars are and how unique his inlay work is!

Would definitely just be a studio and home guitar.
WarOfAttrition and BDMCCR like this.
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWadeWC View Post
I just want a nice custom built guitar. Just something totally unique. I mean I know my ESP 7 Tele is, but I just love how classy his guitars are and how unique his inlay work is!

Would definitely just be a studio and home guitar.
Email him then! Luthiers never like their prices being discussed for custom instruments because then you get whiny people saying "X only paid Y for his guitar waaah waaah" even though the specs are different.
Also, if you want an insane inlay piece, the price is going to go up considerably
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmosh View Post
Email him then! Luthiers never like their prices being discussed for custom instruments because then you get whiny people saying "X only paid Y for his guitar waaah waaah" even though the specs are different.
Also, if you want an insane inlay piece, the price is going to go up considerably
Very true, I wasn't exactly looking for a "I paid X for my Daemoness" but more of a "They usually are between X and Y, generally". But I agree e-mailing is probably the best route!
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Yeah and sometimes they give you a cute bum discount, after all, Paul has to afford all his multiple Vik's somehow
Erazoender likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

IB-studjent- is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Email is the best solution. Have fun waiting though, there's a long wait, but well deserved.

-Vik duality 8 fanned fret-
-Vik DCA baritone 6 string
-

This just in:
Apologies to the other Abasi fanbois out there....I have just recently - yesterday actually - moved to a new favorite guitarist. stated a relavent member of the music community.
IB-studjent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

eurolove will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexWadeWC View Post
Very true, I wasn't exactly looking for a "I paid X for my Daemoness" but more of a "They usually are between X and Y, generally". But I agree e-mailing is probably the best route!
if you tell him that you play for whitechapel there is a very good chance you wont have to pay very much at all, i seriously doubt Misha and Nolly pay full price for theirs.
eurolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
on a tone quest

MAJ Meadows SF is just really niceMAJ Meadows SF is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Daemoness builds for traditional shaped 6s & 7s,start at 1750 GBP, or roughly $2700 depending on the exchnage rate. There are material costs, hardware, pickups, artwork and inlays, which will add a few hundred more GBP to the cost. He offers discounted or at cost rates (market dependent) for some materials including woods, and inlays and artwork can be between 150-300 GBP; but this highly depends on the materials and level of artwork, research, behind-the-scenes work involved. Simple inlays will be cheaper, and massive pieces of hand drawn art can top 300 GBP. He does it all by hand, no technology involved, before clearcoating it. He treats every bit of hand work like it was a personal painting, and he always makes it his interpretation and unique to the guitar and to Daemoness. Dylan's work is not cheap, but considering what you get it is very affordable in value and worth every penny, IMAO.

Here's an example of costs: the Jesus of Nazareth Cimmerian body art would be around 200 GBP. He was (maybe still is) asking 2200 GBP ($3500) for the masterpiece Crypt 7 Cimmerian, case included. It's specs are high:

swamp ash body
flame maple top
maple neck
ziricote fret board
BKP aftermaths, Hipshot hardware
white binding
dye on wood artwork with inlaid mother-of-pearl maggots and abalone flies with real fly wings

I'm mesmorized by this guitar. $3500? If I had the extra cash and didn't already have one booked in the Dameoness build log... HHHNNNGGG!

Mine is upwards of that but it's very high spec. I think Roo's Master of Tridents 7 went for similar, and it had piezo sadles, etc. Personally I think his guitars are way affordable when you weigh in the options and the level of detail he puts into these labors of love, or as Dylan would say "destruction of the flesh by the pitiless steel". He is amazing to work with and discuss not only guitar specs but general history, mythology, and all things metal. Incredibly intelligent and talented dude.

Oh yeah, build time right now is a long shot, like 12-14 months to be delivered to your cave. That much work in his log book! Still I think if you want something truly unique, a living piece of musical art, then you should email Dylan a serious quote or at least discuss a few possibilities.

No, I'm not paid to write this and no it won't bring the cost of my build down! Total fanboy, but who isn't?
IronGoliath likes this.
MAJ Meadows SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Yeah and sometimes they give you a cute bum discount, after all, Paul has to afford all his multiple Vik's somehow
nah, that's just because I get paid lots of money because I paid attention at school and worked hard after that

also, why are you not banned? what's going on
scherzo1928 likes this.
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurolove View Post
if you tell him that you play for whitechapel there is a very good chance you wont have to pay very much at all, i seriously doubt Misha and Nolly pay full price for theirs.
Depends. With small shops and operations, giving a rebate on a guitar is losing money...you don't really recoup with more orders since you have your hands full already. I reckon Daemoness has a fairly long waiting list to begin with, receiving dozens of orders of Periphery fans he can fulfill in two years will not pay his rent today.

Big companies can afford to make rebates because:
-Those rebates are insignificant when compared to the cash flow as a whole
-they can churn out hunderds if not thousands of guitars.

I highly doubt James Hetfield got his KLs for free, and he's one of the most bankable endorser around. ESP can give him tons of guitars, what's 2K$ to them ?
UnderTheSign likes this.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

IronGoliath is a jewel in the rough
I've been afraid of asking this question but now that I know the price.. cheers mates. I have something to save up for :-)
IronGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
Bring the gain

MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.MikeH can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurolove View Post
Not to mention Nolly actually works for Daemoness.

Lethal Force Fitness: Hardcore fitness for hardcore musicians.
KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I was quoted 2880 + 300 shipping for a quilt top 7 string lol.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
Sir Paul of the Mosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
I was quoted 2880 + 300 shipping for a quilt top 7 string lol.
what's "lol" about that?
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
what's "lol" about that?
300 for shipping? 2880 for whats basically an off the shelf model for him with no inlays or other "Custom" work, I thought it was a bit excessive. 15-1700 makes a lot more sense to me for that model I asked for.

Im quite aware of what it costs to build a guitar, overhead, and all that jazz. Don't write me off as a guy expecting to get a custom for 600$ lol.

edit: for the record, Im not saying they "Arent worth it", Im merely saying they arent worth it to ME is all. Im sure they make kickass stuff!
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Well, some luthiers actually *like* doing inlays so a guitar without them does not raise their enthusiasm overmuch.
The best way to get a good price from a custom luthier is to make him build a guitar he actually wants to build. You might even get it before all the bland orders.
Purelojik and MAJ Meadows SF like this.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
Well, some luthiers actually *like* doing inlays so a guitar without them does not raise their enthusiasm overmuch.
The best way to get a good price from a custom luthier is to make him build a guitar he actually wants to build. You might even get it before all the bland orders.

Perhaps. I just filled out his online quote form a while back, got an email back. Said "ouch..." closed the email, and took a cold shower :p
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
300 for shipping? 2880 for whats basically an off the shelf model for him with no inlays or other "Custom" work, I thought it was a bit excessive. 15-1700 makes a lot more sense to me for that model I asked for.

Im quite aware of what it costs to build a guitar, overhead, and all that jazz. Don't write me off as a guy expecting to get a custom for 600$ lol.

edit: for the record, Im not saying they "Arent worth it", Im merely saying they arent worth it to ME is all. Im sure they make kickass stuff!
$300 for shipping of a guitar in case across continents is pretty usual, I'm amazed to be able to get below $200 from Europe/US. I really don't think with the amount of effort/time Dylan puts into his builds (even standard), as well as the cost of the parts/woods, that 15-1700 would be very profitable. Hell, down here, an Ibanez RG1527 used to be over $2,000 new, and that's mass produced, mostly machine-made work.
Bigfan and UnderTheSign like this.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
Sir Paul of the Mosh

Quote:

so what's normal for shipping a guitar case in your opinion?
I'm writing you off as a guy that expects to pay 1500 for a custom, from a guy that runs a one-man-shop of ridiculous quality. Not gonna happen
Bigfan, Razzy, themike and 1 others like this.
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
so what's normal for shipping a guitar case in your opinion?
I'm writing you off as a guy that expects to pay 1500 for a custom, from a guy that runs a one-man-shop of ridiculous quality. Not gonna happen

I recently shipped a guitar to australia for 82$, and a guitar body loaded for 63$ to australia, and shipped guitar with case to england for 42$. All within the last year. That body I shipped to JP universe yesterday. I had a guitar shipped to me from china with case for 38$ (albeit freight shipping). I use USPS for shipping internationally.

Not my opinions, its facts. If hes charging 300 for shipping, he's over charging, sorry.

Also, I didn't say he was over charging, I clearly stated he's too expensive for ME. If he was over charging, he'd have no sales.

Plenty of folks will do a custom guitar for 15-2000$. A comparable guitar from DTM was 1900$.

Im not some kid trolling around, I actually do research, and use numbers I've seen to base my decisions.
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
shipped guitar with case to england for 42$.
I don't know how you're managing these shipping prices, it cost me more than that to send a guitar to Massachusetts.

Edit: I will add, value of the guitar plays into the shipping cost BIG TIME, so if you're not insuring it and claiming a low value, I can see how it could keep the cost down, though, if something happens, you're ....ed.

I doubt very much Dylan doesn't insure his shipments for what they're worth, and then you're looking at the extra money for customs and taxes and whatnot.
MAJ Meadows SF likes this.

ESP M-II -> Randall Diavlo 100 -> Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12.
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think you're forgetting how shitty the USD is compared to the GBP right now.

And I believe Razzy hit the nail on the head regarding shipping. Though, always request a shipping invoice if you think you're being overcharged. It'll have everything itemized.
Rook and MAJ Meadows SF like this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
Sir Paul of the Mosh

Quote:
I recently shipped a guitar to australia for 82$, and a guitar body loaded for 63$ to australia, and shipped guitar with case to england for 42$. All within the last year. That body I shipped to JP universe yesterday. I had a guitar shipped to me from china with case for 38$ (albeit freight shipping). I use USPS for shipping internationally.

Not my opinions, its facts. If hes charging 300 for shipping, he's over charging, sorry.

Also, I didn't say he was over charging, I clearly stated he's too expensive for ME. If he was over charging, he'd have no sales.

Plenty of folks will do a custom guitar for 15-2000$. A comparable guitar from DTM was 1900$.

Im not some kid trolling around, I actually do research, and use numbers I've seen to base my decisions.
You're not doing your research as far as I can see, since you're plain wrong.
It's nice that other places do customs for X amount of money, Daemoness is an established shop with a reputation and a name. That's a pretty fair price for a quality custom instrument where you clearly know what you're getting.
As for shipping, you really think shipping a brand new guitar, worth 2500 bucks across the ocean will be done using the cheapest option with no insurance?