homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #51
SS.org Regular

Lewk is a glorious beacon of lightLewk is a glorious beacon of lightLewk is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Look, it's already been covered. Bottom line is you get the receipt.

I've sent more guitars to the States and Europe from here in the UK than I care to remember and I always get the bitching about the shipping cost. In-fact I've lost a few sales on Ebay because I wont take a loss and negotiate costs out of my control. I learned that the hard way when I caved in to an adamant Ebayer who had me send a guitar in a cardboard box and uninsured (what was I thinking) because he was happy to take the risk...and surprise surprise when it got to him damaged he expected me to refund him and cover the costs of getting the guitar there and back

The UK/US exchange rate aint in your favour by a considerable amount (1=$1.60), which begs the question;why would you consider buying a guitar from the UK in the first place if money is your prime concern?

If you've ever sent a guitar abroad you'll know that you have to declare the actual value for the insurance claim and that increases the cost alot, especially on a 2k+ guitar. And secondly, do you want to be able to track the package, have it come to you in days, not weeks and have a verified delivery so it has to be signed over to you rather than just left on your doorstep?

Even if you're happy to take the risk, chances are that the builder wont be.
Lewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #52
SS.org Regular

endo is a jewel in the rough
I'd be willing to wager that if you're in the market for a new custom and you're looking at Daemoness, then money isn't a primary concern.

IMHO, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

I don't listen to music. I make it.
endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #53
Master Chugger

sell2792 is a jewel in the rough
Whatever you do, if you get one, get the most ....ing brutal inlay possible.

"Show me an elitist, and I'll show you a loser."

"My relationship to music is completely subliminal, it just flows through me.
sell2792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #54
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonb2 View Post
To back this up for US buyers, I bought a guitar from a forum member in Canada and it came to a total of like $1100 USD with the shipping he figured in. When UPS brought it to my door a week later, the driver asked me to write UPS a check for $85 USD and change to cover the customs fees.

Keep in mind that's all for an instrument insured and declared for about a 1/3 the value of a Daemoness, so I'd say you're looking at at almost $300 USD in customs fees unless Dylan gets creative with his declaration, which I sincerely doubt he'd do...

EDIT: This is NOT including the harmonized sales tax, but the canadian would pay that before it would ship.

Sorry, but this isnt true at all. NAFTA prevents paying customs from USA to Canada, and vice versa, UNLESS you are IMPORTING NEW items from another country to sell as new. Bottom line, cananda and usa do NOT pay customs fees to each other. If you got charged an extra 85, you got ripped off, and in a very bad way.

Also, as a final interjection, USPS provides the lowest cost international shipping in the unites states. If you are shipping abroad, do yourself a favor and get multiple quotes on items, don't just go to the most convenient location to your house.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #55
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post

The coutnerpoint is, when you get a guitar from Daemoness, blackmachine, Amfisound etc, when they send you the finished pics, the only question you usually ask is "what's the fastest shipping available ?"

LOL!! This is so true :p
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #56
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewk View Post
Look, it's already been covered. Bottom line is you get the receipt.

I've sent more guitars to the States and Europe from here in the UK than I care to remember and I always get the bitching about the shipping cost. In-fact I've lost a few sales on Ebay because I wont take a loss and negotiate costs out of my control. I learned that the hard way when I caved in to an adamant Ebayer who had me send a guitar in a cardboard box and uninsured (what was I thinking) because he was happy to take the risk...and surprise surprise when it got to him damaged he expected me to refund him and cover the costs of getting the guitar there and back

The UK/US exchange rate aint in your favour by a considerable amount (1=$1.60), which begs the question;why would you consider buying a guitar from the UK in the first place if money is your prime concern?

If you've ever sent a guitar abroad you'll know that you have to declare the actual value for the insurance claim and that increases the cost alot, especially on a 2k+ guitar. And secondly, do you want to be able to track the package, have it come to you in days, not weeks and have a verified delivery so it has to be signed over to you rather than just left on your doorstep?

Even if you're happy to take the risk, chances are that the builder wont be.
You can get around that by declaring it a gift with commercial value
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #57
7slinger

Lorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to allLorcan Ward is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sell2792 View Post
Whatever you do, if you get one, get the most ....ing brutal inlay possible.
Dylan's inlays are getting crazier with each build. I can't wait to start drawing up mine.
Lorcan Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #58
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Customs agents aren't retards you know.
capoeiraesp likes this.
Andromalia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #59
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
EDIT: This is NOT including the harmonized sales tax, but the canadian would pay that before it would ship.

Sorry, but this isnt true at all. NAFTA prevents paying customs from USA to Canada, and vice versa, UNLESS you are IMPORTING NEW items from another country to sell as new. Bottom line, cananda and usa do NOT pay customs fees to each other. If you got charged an extra 85, you got ripped off, and in a very bad way.
What he probably got charged is a brokerage fee which UPS and FedEx both charge for taking things over the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
This is also a felony last time I checked.
Bigfan and bob123 like this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #60
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
^And if it wasn't it doesn't work anymore.

Even when I specifically ask people not to, a lot of the stuff I get sent from the USA comes market as a gift and they don't give a rat's backside.

Arguing about whether or not the guy should or not aside, here's a breakdown.

Last I heard the base cost for a 6 string daemoness with nothing on it was 1500. IIRC that didn't come with a case, that was about another 130. I think the quote I got for a hard tail 7 with a figured maple top, swamp ash back, maple neck, no inlay, ebony board was in the region of 1850. Can't remember if that was a case.

Let's pretend you're more imaginative than me, so round it up to 2k.

Nobody with give you $1.60 to the pound, that's trade rate, you'll probably get about $1.65. Don't forget shipping too. I fedex'd an amp to Australia for 150 and It arrived in 3 days, I can't imagine it'll cost more than that. Let's say 120, I think that's what I paid last I shipped a guitar.

Total cost GBP 2120
Total cost USA street rates: $3500
Tax will be around 10-20% depending on where you are. Let's say 15. Total USD is $4000.

I gotta be honest, my BRJ order's not much less than that, and you may even get a discount. That's pretty good value to me, but I'm british and everything costs that much here. Except Daemoness which we get a lil cheaper

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #61
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
Customs agents aren't retards you know.
Maybe not the french ones!
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #62
Aliens

Erazoender is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah the shipping is like 80$ shipping fees, the rest is insurance. It's something like 10% of the item if I'm not mistaken? Not to mention that they do their work on a lot smaller of a scale with very very detailed artwork on the instruments (generally) that's their specialty; to spend less time on a guitar costing less would clog them up for what their true talent lies (both luthiers and artists), thus it makes sense to charge more for what you would consider a "stock" guitar.
Erazoender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #63
On a Musical Journey

RagtimeDandy is just really niceRagtimeDandy is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Anyone know how much this beauty is/was?

It's literally my dream guitar and at some point down the road I'd love to have Daemoness make it for me (probably not for 10 years but still lol).

Honest, music must be.
My solo project "The Left Turns" - Progressive metal/djent/whatever you wanna call it metal: https://soundcloud.com/the-left-turns
RagtimeDandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #64
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of

Every time I see that inlay!

I will own that guitar (or one like it made by Dylan) one day.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #65
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
About 2100?
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #66
ss.org Regular

REIGNS is on a distinguished road
says your banned? wanted to know who/how you got this sort of shipping
REIGNS is offline   Reply With Quote