homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #26
on a tone quest

MAJ Meadows SF is just really niceMAJ Meadows SF is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
I don't know how you're managing these shipping prices, it cost me more than that to send a guitar to Massachusetts.

Edit: I will add, value of the guitar plays into the shipping cost BIG TIME, so if you're not insuring it and claiming a low value, I can see how it could keep the cost down, though, if something happens, you're ....ed.

I doubt very much Dylan doesn't insure his shipments for what they're worth, and then you're looking at the extra money for customs and taxes and whatnot.
Exactly: it depends on insurance cost, location, and exchange rate. I'd have to pay $400 to get a guitar shipped from the USA or EU to Afghanistan, with proper insurance. I'm waiting until I get back home! Royal Mail is not cheap, and we bite the bullet in the USA.

I know it costs more to get somethings shipped to certain countries. One of the forum members had to sell some of his guitars because of the outrageous import cost to Australia. It can be pretty painful in some places, pun fully intended. Shipping a fully insured $3000'ish guitar for $300 doesn't seem that bad; blame it on the shipping companies, fuel costs, etc.

Worth it to me, absolutely for a Daemoness, but fair to argue.
MAJ Meadows SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
SS.org Regular

Tyler is a splendid one to beholdTyler is a splendid one to beholdTyler is a splendid one to beholdTyler is a splendid one to beholdTyler is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I maxxed out a 6 string to my specs with custom inlays and such & BKP and only came out to be 2600

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isiah 30:21

Burdened Hearts
Bandcamp

EBMM JP6 White Pearl w/ All Rosewood Neck (Currently stolen)
EBMM JP12 w/ All Rosewood Neck
Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellings6 View Post
I maxxed out a 6 string to my specs with custom inlays and such & BKP and only came out to be 2600
USD, GBP, or EUR?

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #29
Lifted By Skin

Mwoit is a glorious beacon of lightMwoit is a glorious beacon of lightMwoit is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
I think you're forgetting how shitty the USD is compared to the GBP right now.
I think that's the main issue here, 2000 ~ 3000 is typical of a custom in the UK, and the USD is doing poorly to the GBP which translates to a high $ price for a basic UK custom.
Mwoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
I don't know how you're managing these shipping prices, it cost me more than that to send a guitar to Massachusetts.

Edit: I will add, value of the guitar plays into the shipping cost BIG TIME, so if you're not insuring it and claiming a low value, I can see how it could keep the cost down, though, if something happens, you're ....ed.

I doubt very much Dylan doesn't insure his shipments for what they're worth, and then you're looking at the extra money for customs and taxes and whatnot.
EDIT: Disclaimer : Im not trying to be a troll here, I was merely making a COMPLETELY subjective opinion, and a quantitative analysis on shipping rates based on my own stuff.... Dont get personally offended if I don't agree with your subjective opinion. I never said they werent quality instruments, I never said they werent worth the money, I've stated about 4 times in this thread that they are too expensive for what Im looking for.

Im not sure what customs and stuff he has to pay, that may be part of the equation Im not taking into consideration. Last time I checked, Dave Thomas Mcnaught was a pretty reputable luthier lmao. Also, You guys keep twisting this around for whatever reason. I said .... its not worth it... TO ME... Where exactly are you guys getting confused about this?

However, USPS offers fairly inexpensive international shipping. 400$ insurance to australia cost me 7.05$, 1000$ was 9.99$, and 2000$ was 17$

Apparently you guys think I'm making these numbers up... Shipped this 2 days ago. You're high if you think I'd mail across the planet without insurance....

bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #31
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
EDIT: Disclaimer : Im not trying to be a troll here, I was merely making a COMPLETELY subjective opinion, and a quantitative analysis on shipping rates based on my own stuff.... Dont get personally offended if I don't agree with your subjective opinion. I never said they werent quality instruments, I never said they werent worth the money, I've stated about 4 times in this thread that they are too expensive for what Im looking for.

Im not sure what customs and stuff he has to pay, that may be part of the equation Im not taking into consideration. Last time I checked, Dave Thomas Mcnaught was a pretty reputable luthier lmao. Also, You guys keep twisting this around for whatever reason. I said .... its not worth it... TO ME... Where exactly are you guys getting confused about this?

However, USPS offers fairly inexpensive international shipping. 400$ insurance to australia cost me 7.05$, 1000$ was 9.99$, and 2000$ was 17$

Apparently you guys think I'm making these numbers up... Shipped this 2 days ago. You're high if you think I'd mail across the planet without insurance....

It's not worth it to you, we get it, you've said it multiple times in multiple threads about multiple different builders to the point you're coming across as a troll. Knock it off already.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
elq
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.
Have you considered that it might actually cost more to ship something from the UK than from the US???

Attached Images
File Type: png fedex.png (76.2 KB, 411 views)
elq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #33
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
It's not worth it to you, we get it, you've said it multiple times in multiple threads about multiple different builders to the point you're coming across as a troll. Knock it off already.

This is the only thread and only time I've discussed daemoness in any fashion. I fail to see how that counts as trolling.

Im not gonna post on this any more, people getting upset over this is just silly.
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #34
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
This is the only thread and only time I've discussed daemoness in any fashion. I fail to see how that counts as trolling.

Im not gonna post on this any more, people getting upset over this is just silly.
Actually I apologize, I was thinking you were another user that had been complaining about custom guitar prices. After reviewing I see you were not "that guy". I will say however that you have made your point in this thread
bob123 and PeteIOM like this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #35
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You were thinking about me, I cant believe I cant get a fanned 7 for $273
Mwoit, Al NiCotin, Bigfan and 4 others like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #36
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
You were thinking about me, I cant believe I cant get a fanned 7 for $273
asher and JP Universe like this.

Carvin DC800 -> Pod HD Pro -> Rocktron Velocity 300 -> Mesa Rectifier 4x12
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
Actually I apologize, I was thinking you were another user that had been complaining about custom guitar prices. After reviewing I see you were not "that guy". I will say however that you have made your point in this thread
It's all good! Not sure what the cause for all the uproar is, but I think we should just let sleeping dogs lie now

Continue discussion! FWIW, I think daemoness' are GORGEOUS guitars, theres a reason I asked them for a quote... :p
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #38
SS.org Regular

Tyler is a splendid one to beholdTyler is a splendid one to beholdTyler is a splendid one to beholdTyler is a splendid one to beholdTyler is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
USD, GBP, or EUR?
USD

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isiah 30:21

Burdened Hearts
Bandcamp

EBMM JP6 White Pearl w/ All Rosewood Neck (Currently stolen)
EBMM JP12 w/ All Rosewood Neck
Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #39
MJS

MJS is just really niceMJS is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wouldn't think Dylan would be too upset about prices being discussed. If he gave someone a price he didn't want shared, I'm sure he'd let that person know. I haven't looked lately, but I thought he had some base prices either posted on his page or on Facebook before.

Since his quote form says right on it not to request a quote unless you're serious about buying, people getting scared away by prices before that point are just freeing up his time to work on guitars for those that are willing to pay.

In the few cases where I saw a Daemoness that I knew the price of, the prices were actually lower than I would have guessed. That skull with the MOP maggots & real fly wings is a good example... I forget what the price was in the FS thread, but having watched the progress on that build, I expected it to be higher. Dylan's an amazing artist and I think the people that are paying for that would be willing to pay more than they currently have to.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #40
ss.org Regular

daemonessaxes is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
Well, some luthiers actually *like* doing inlays so a guitar without them does not raise their enthusiasm overmuch.
The best way to get a good price from a custom luthier is to make him build a guitar he actually wants to build. You might even get it before all the bland orders.
This might be true of some builders but I don't work like this. I enjoy making all the guitars, and I build the guitars in the order of which I receive the deposits. Anything else would be unfair.
daemonessaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #41
ss.org Regular

daemonessaxes is a jewel in the rough
Oh, and I've never charged anywhere near $300 for shipping. I use a normal courier like anyone else and the receipt is with the guitar. Any builder who angles to make money on the shipping is seriously disrespecting his customers.
Asrial, MAJ Meadows SF and bob123 like this.
daemonessaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonessaxes View Post
Oh, and I've never charged anywhere near $300 for shipping. I use a normal courier like anyone else and the receipt is with the guitar. Any builder who angles to make money on the shipping is seriously disrespecting his customers.
I probably made a mistake with regards to this, or a conversion error on my part. I'm glad to see vendors taking an active role with their orders though!
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #43
Lefty

Phrygian is just really nicePhrygian is just really nice
I was quoted 370$ by fedex for shipping a guitar UNINSURED from Norway to Italy. and that was not express, express i think cost another 100$. insane.

My Delirium

Gear:
FOR SALE - Carvin DC727L
FOR SALE -Carvin DC800
Decibel AMX 7 - incoming

Mayones Setius 6
Axe FX II
Matrix gt1000fx
2 x Zilla super fatboy 2x12
Phrygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #44
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
I paid like $100 or something like that to ship a bass from Norway to Germany. Posten FTW!
Bigfan likes this.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #45
Ashes Of Rebirth

iRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I emailed him a while ago and asked what the common price, or a rough estimate of a build would be. He told me 2,200 or 2,300 Euros with custom inlay/graphic. Hope this helps man.
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #46
lover of fine woods

mphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
In the few cases where I saw a Daemoness that I knew the price of, the prices were actually lower than I would have guessed. That skull with the MOP maggots & real fly wings is a good example... I forget what the price was in the FS thread, but having watched the progress on that build, I expected it to be higher. Dylan's an amazing artist and I think the people that are paying for that would be willing to pay more than they currently have to.
In every case. The work is top, the woods are top, the artistry is priceless.
mphsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #47
SS.org Regular

Lewk is a glorious beacon of lightLewk is a glorious beacon of lightLewk is a glorious beacon of light
Dylans the man and his guitars are ....en rad. My Atlanteans been my only electric for a year now :o
Lewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #48
xeL
SS.org Regular

xeL has a spectacular aura about
I'm not too sure on what extra costs would be incured when shipping from the UK to the US but when something is Imported into the UK above a certain price you generally have to pay 3.7% import duty as well as 20% VAT which increases the cost considerably.

And we paid the price, we paid for their crimes with our blood.
xeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
Naturally Cynical

Watty is a glorious beacon of lightWatty is a glorious beacon of lightWatty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeL View Post
I'm not too sure on what extra costs would be incured when shipping from the UK to the US but when something is Imported into the UK above a certain price you generally have to pay 3.7% import duty as well as 20% VAT which increases the cost considerably.
To back this up for US buyers, I bought a guitar from a forum member in Canada and it came to a total of like $1100 USD with the shipping he figured in. When UPS brought it to my door a week later, the driver asked me to write UPS a check for $85 USD and change to cover the customs fees.

Keep in mind that's all for an instrument insured and declared for about a 1/3 the value of a Daemoness, so I'd say you're looking at at almost $300 USD in customs fees unless Dylan gets creative with his declaration, which I sincerely doubt he'd do...

Don't like what I post? Tell me why and defend your position like a man.

Gear:

Mackie HR624's
Fractal Audio Axe FX 2
Nice-Racks Custom 2-Space Case

Ibanez RGA121TKF w/Titans
Ormsby 2014 HM 6 String (ETA - September)
Ormsby 2015 SXM 6 String (ETA - March 2015)
Watty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #50
Pardon my french

Andromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud of
Quote:
I think you're forgetting how shitty the USD is compared to the GBP right now.

And I believe Razzy hit the nail on the head regarding shipping. Though, always request a shipping invoice if you think you're being overcharged. It'll have everything itemized.
In the last two years, I received 3 guitars from the USA and shipped one to Australia, one ESP and two ibanez in their HSC with padding around. US->EU was roughly 120USD, EU-australia was 180. 300 does seem a bit much and still is 5-10% of the guitar price, it's not negligible.

The coutnerpoint is, when you get a guitar from Daemoness, blackmachine, Amfisound etc, when they send you the finished pics, the only question you usually ask is "what's the fastest shipping available ?"
bob123 likes this.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote