homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree236Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #151
SS.org Regular

Necromagnon is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Everybody says that ebony is clearly much easier to bend than flamed (and al figured woods). Evenmore, ebony is said to be of the easiest wood to bend...
And i've never succeed bending one even on small curvature...

Now this said, nice tea!
I think that it's all the products used to treat wood that taste good: it acts like LSD.
scherzo1928 and Metal_Webb like this.
Necromagnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #152
such a shredneck..

vansinn is just really nicevansinn is just really nice
^ clearly you must be talking primarily about Norvegian wood..
Necromagnon likes this.

van Sinn... plays progressive ambient jazz/rock/metal fusion
says, stop second guessing the past, keep pushing, or risk getting left behind
"the law is the law. there is no justice outside the law, but if you know the law, you can use it" - Todd Rungren
vansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #153
Luthier

Munch is a jewel in the rough
I am excited to try out bending wood, thanks for the tips guys!
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #154
SS.org Regular

Erick Kroenen is a jewel in the rough
Where did you get the wood? coz im going back to mexico next month and i want to make a body for a guitar..

XEN-HDC8
Erick Kroenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #155
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirgesong View Post
Where did you get the wood? coz im going back to mexico next month and i want to make a body for a guitar..
What wood? The mahogany and flamed maple is from a lumberyard closeish to my school. I got the granadillo from Yucatan. birdseye maple boards and the walnut I got from the U.S.
Erick Kroenen likes this.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #156
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
After getting my fingers glued 2 times, managed to do this:

Might glue another strip later today, and then I need to bend the last strips.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #157
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Lookin' very good! Such clean work.
scherzo1928 likes this.

Konfyouzd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #158
Bowes Guitars

canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I feel really stupid not having checked out your stuff before dude! I'm loving it! The jig you've got for your drill press is inspiring much envy from me.

I saw that picture with the brutal tearout - just do way more passes taking off way less material. I only get tearout like that when I've tried to remove too much at one time. Once I started doing 2 or 3 mm at a time on the more sensitive parts, its' never happened again. Once you've got all the multiple passes done, put a longer bit in big enough to do the cut in one pass to clean up any edges. I've probably wrecked 3 or 4 headstocks and countless bodies taking off too much material.

I love what you're doing with the binding on these builds.

For the evo fretwire - how is it treating your fret tang nipper? I've used the one I've had for years on all my builds and only when i exposed it to stainless steel did it really show severe wear. The evo wire has interested me in recent days so i'm just really curious to know how it's treating your tools.
scherzo1928 likes this.
canuck brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #159
has wood for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck brian View Post
I feel really stupid not having checked out your stuff before dude! I'm loving it! The jig you've got for your drill press is inspiring much envy from me.
I rely a lot on my aluminum profiles. They are a great way to hide how much I suck with hand tools, because with those profiles and a router I dont need to plane by hand (which I suck at), mate surfaces (which I suck at), make small recesses with a chissel (which I suck at, I actually got a very nasty cut with one today.)... I just think of how I could put those profiles to work, and get done with it.

Quote:
I saw that picture with the brutal tearout - just do way more passes taking off way less material. I only get tearout like that when I've tried to remove too much at one time. Once I started doing 2 or 3 mm at a time on the more sensitive parts, its' never happened again. Once you've got all the multiple passes done, put a longer bit in big enough to do the cut in one pass to clean up any edges. I've probably wrecked 3 or 4 headstocks and countless bodies taking off too much material.
Yeah, I always do a looot of passes, but this was a slightly different case, because the neck is too small, and I wasn't comfortable with my grip, so one thing led to another and BAM.

Quote:
I love what you're doing with the binding on these builds.
Great that you like it, because it's causing me some headaches I hope the work involved will pay up.

Quote:
For the evo fretwire - how is it treating your fret tang nipper? I've used the one I've had for years on all my builds and only when i exposed it to stainless steel did it really show severe wear. The evo wire has interested me in recent days so i'm just really curious to know how it's treating your tools.
Well, I've only used the nipper for 2 22 fret necks, and it's still cutting the frets like butter. I'm actually surprised by how easy it cuts them. I really recomend you to try the evo wire btw.
canuck brian, sage and aaron_rose like this.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #160
has wood for you

I've been hella busy, and progress has been hella slow. Here's what I've managed since the last update.

I had to put my knowledge of materials to good use, and I finally managed to come up with a way to make those tiiiny curves without the wood even splintering. Let's just say it involves heat treatments and residual stresses, or however it may be called in english.

The dark parts that look like gaps are actually glue that squeezed out. Still, there are little parts around the horns where I'll have to use a bit of wood dust with glue to fill it up. It's all because of how the wood bends. Try doing a "C" shape with one of your fingers, and watch how the inside wrinkles the more you curve it... well I need to fill in between those wrinkles. I filed them a bit prior to gluing, but they still need filling.
BlackMastodon likes this.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #161
ss.org Regular

JayFraser will become famous soon enough
Dude, everything you touch turns to gold. I've read all of your build threads, and they're all mindblowingly awesome. This one especially.
JayFraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #162
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Awh yeah!
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #163
SS.org Regular

Great work!
How thick are those maple bindings? Anyway, you've just gone through this very well!! My last try was so horrible... I'm jalous!
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #164
Urwało mi dupę

peagull is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is looking super sexy.

No cakes though?
peagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #165
has wood for you

Aaaaalrighty, first things first. If you don't have a set of scrapers, then go buy one.... They are now one of my favorite tools. Used them to do some clean up work on the binding, and to get it fluch with the body. No pics of that though.

Then, I took a european door thing pattern bit, and beveled the edge of the guitar with it. I think it looks really well. The angle is low enough to make the top much more comfortable as well, and the very edge (on the maple binding itself) is rounded.
Pics!

I did it on my leveling jig, because this way the router is a lot more stable, particularly near the horns, and won't tumble over.

I think it came out alright.

I still need to work on filling up a couple of parts where I really bent the binding a lot, but it came out better than I was expecting for such an ambitious first attempt at binding... with figured wood... without the right tools... So yeah, I'm rather happy with how it came out.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #166
SS.org Regular

TankJon666 is a jewel in the rough
Really, really, really nice work! Good to see something original too

Although thats a bit hypocritical of me to talk about originality seeing as I'm building what is essentially an RG

Your router rig thingy has got me thinking about doing a similiar setup.
TankJon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #167
SS.org Regular

spilla will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Coming together nicley!

How did you manage to follow the shape of the guitar when your beveled the edges? Did the router bit have a bearing?
spilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #168
has wood for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFraser View Post
Dude, everything you touch turns to gold. I've read all of your build threads, and they're all mindblowingly awesome. This one especially.
Awesome. I always have a great time building and updating the threads on the go, not knowing how they will turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Awh yeah!
Again, happy bday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromagnon View Post
Great work!
How thick are those maple bindings? Anyway, you've just gone through this very well!! My last try was so horrible... I'm jalous!
2mm thick. It didn't come out absolutely perfect, but I think I did the best I could with my tools, and the extreme curves involved. Thanks fr the tips btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peagull View Post
That is looking super sexy.

No cakes though?

Well, I just finished the last muffin from the last batch of blueberry muffins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankJon666 View Post
Really, really, really nice work! Good to see something original too

Although thats a bit hypocritical of me to talk about originality seeing as I'm building what is essentially an RG

Your router rig thingy has got me thinking about doing a similiar setup.
Haha, well... my first build was a singlecut.

About the router jig... DOO EET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spilla View Post
Coming together nicley!

How did you manage to follow the shape of the guitar when your beveled the edges? Did the router bit have a bearing?
Yup,
spilla likes this.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #169
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Holy shit that's a flat angle o.O Mine is much more steep. Should make a really comfy contour!
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #170
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Awesome bevels man! Really like how the binding is now rounded over. Every time I see fancy router bits like that I always wonder how they would work for beveling guitar edges.
And I definitely have to contact my local Parker supplier again and order my own jig. Of course I would have to draw out the plans for the jig and figure out how much material I need again but one of these days I will get to it.
Anyway, keep up the awesome work!

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #171
has wood for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeSwift View Post
Holy shit that's a flat angle o.O Mine is much more steep. Should make a really comfy contour!
Yeah man, I did "comfort tests" with this bit, as well as a 45 chamfer bit. I really like how the 45 bevel looks, but with the body of the guitar being so damn thick, I went for the most comfortable instead, particularly because I'm already compromising some comfort on this guitar on several aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMastodon View Post
Awesome bevels man! Really like how the binding is now rounded over. Every time I see fancy router bits like that I always wonder how they would work for beveling guitar edges.
And I definitely have to contact my local Parker supplier again and order my own jig. Of course I would have to draw out the plans for the jig and figure out how much material I need again but one of these days I will get to it.
Anyway, keep up the awesome work!
I'm guilty of this as well. For this particular bit, I like the idea of cutting a preliminary body shape, "beveling" with this bit at full depth, and then routing a second body shape, to get different patterns going... I'll give it a try one day I promise.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #172
SS.org Regular

scherzo1928 likes this.
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #173
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
Yeah man, I did "comfort tests" with this bit, as well as a 45 chamfer bit. I really like how the 45 bevel looks, but with the body of the guitar being so damn thick, I went for the most comfortable instead, particularly because I'm already compromising some comfort on this guitar on several aspects.

I'm guilty of this as well. For this particular bit, I like the idea of cutting a preliminary body shape, "beveling" with this bit at full depth, and then routing a second body shape, to get different patterns going... I'll give it a try one day I promise.
I used a 45 chamfer bit on the back of my guitar (did the entire back rather than just a belly contour) and the forearm contour is largely made with it as well. I think due to the thinnes of the body and the angle I use to hold my hand on the Hipshot bridge it worked out really nice and comfy.

Definitely did not expect that chamfer bits and other angled bits could give as much comfort as a proper forearm or belly contour.

I'm gonna try to get some of that there fancy neck wood as well; ever since I've started with Myrtlewood I've become obsessed with better alternatives to maple (myrtlewood being much more stable).
scherzo1928 likes this.
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #174
has wood for you

Small update...

AAAWWW YEEAH

Doing all of the binding took me about 1 month . Just bending each of the long strips took me around 6-7 hours. The bad news is that finding time to build is becoming increasingly difficult. The good one, is I'm pretty pretty close to landing that sweet ass job.

Oooh, I'm also thinking of adding a neck pickup to the walnut axe... Probably another P-rail... still need to decide on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeSwift View Post
I'm gonna try to get some of that there fancy neck wood as well; ever since I've started with Myrtlewood I've become obsessed with better alternatives to maple (myrtlewood being much more stable).
Go for it, but it might not be an easy task, since it's a bit difficult to source atm.
Ribboz, spilla, celticelk and 3 others like this.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 06-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #175
SS.org Regular

TankJon666 is a jewel in the rough
That is looking soooooo good! The time spent with the binding was totally worth it! Out of interest. How do you get on with using the scrapers? Are they worth investing in a set?
TankJon666 is offline   Reply With Quote