homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree205Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #76
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #77
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You tease...

chipsta21 likes this.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #78
SS.org Regular

7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light7stringDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My pants are getting smaller. . . . . . .

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search!
Trans Blue/Teal Quilt Maple tops
7stringDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #79
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
That's all I got, y'all!

Unread 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #80
Dread-I Master

Bump...

Dave you told me you had more eye candy on your camera.

Unread 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #81
SS.org Regular

warhead78 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Damn this is nice, baritone and explorer in the same axe, perfection
Konfyouzd likes this.
warhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #82
SS Contributor

djohns74 is just really nicedjohns74 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
Bump...

Dave you told me you had more eye candy on your camera.
I have a good excuse, I was 1700 miles away from the guitar for the last 2 weeks.

Grain filler was added to the mahogany just before I left and everything was sanded down to 320 so it's all nice and smooth at this point. Painting is scheduled to begin tonight with the vinyl sealer and should proceed through the color coat this weekend assuming I don't get a ton of rain. This is as far as the sample pic posted above got, so hopefully it will be looking pretty neat in a couple of days. Clear coats should happen next week if all goes well.

I'll post some pictures later if I remember, have time, and am not feeling particularly lazy.
Konfyouzd likes this.
djohns74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #83
SS Contributor

So, I forgot, didn't really have time and was feeling fairly lazy this weekend, thus it's days later and I'm just getting around to posting. Hopefully, it was worth the wait.

Here, I've routed the recessed area for the control cavity cover to reside in to make it flush with the back of the guitar. As you can see, I have lines drawn in to do the same with the spring cavity cover, but after some measurements and test fitting, I discovered that the body is actually just a little too thin to recess this cover! Ah well, the cover is quite thin anyway and besides, Fender has got along just fine for all these years without recessing their cavity cover.

And here we have the cover itself! It was made from an extra piece of mahogany that was cut off when shaping the body and was then thinned down with my oddball router jig seen earlier. I managed to save a big enough chunk so that the cover could be one piece, which I'm pretty pleased with.

Of course, a recessed cavity cover wouldn't be complete without countersunk screws and this method of making them using the drill press seems to have worked quite well.

The test fit looks good to me!

Naturally, the next logical thing to do is making a matching spring cavity cover. It was made from extra neck wood that was cut away in the initial shaping process with mahogany ears glued onto each side. The whole thing was then thinned down just like the other cover.

This cover ends up serving more than just a cosmetic purpose. The hole in it is to allow clearance for the Ibanez Edge spring block lock bar, which protrudes just past the back of the guitar when the bridge is as low as it can go. So I had to cut a hole in the cover, which I wasn't thrilled about, but at the same time, it will prevent any interference with the bridge's operation if it hangs out the back at all.

This one's my favorite since I had a picture in my head of how it would end up looking and I ended up getting exactly the look I wanted on the first try. Again, a thinned down piece of extra quilted maple with the sides rounded over nicely. I found that the single screw holds it in place perfectly since it's wedged up against the fretboard pretty tight. The truss rod route doesn't look too bad really, but I think this is so much better.

At this point, a test fit of all parts seems appropriate, and then I figured as long as I was doing that, I might as well make it functional, eh?

And here's the (un)finished product, ready to rock! I played it a bit following this and everything worked as it should. The balance of the shape is odd to me, so I didn't take the time to get too comfortable with it, but this was really just a test run to make sure nothing was completely out of whack before I start layering lacquer onto it.

Speaking of the lacquer, that's where the story takes a bit of a detour. As planned, the sealer went on Friday night with no real drama. However, on Saturday, I started to spray the color and my gun started acting up. It's possible that it wasn't completely clean, I'm not sure, but it started throwing random dark chunks of what I assume is dried lacquer into the second color coat. I tried to correct it, but it just wasn't happening, so I had to abort. The partial finished was then removed on Sunday so now I have to start over with planning the process so it doesn't happen again.

On a semi-positive note, since I was on the second color coat, I was able to more clearly see that the color really was too red, so I feel like I would have had to scrap it anyway, and I might have gotten even further into it before deciding to! Oh well, I'm still learning how to deal with this spray equipment and lacquer and whatnot, no real harm done, just a little wasted time.
Randy, TJV, dime3334 and 6 others like this.
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #84
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You'd have scrapped it?! I sincerely hope you mean "stripped the parts off and sold it bare bones".

I'm totally in love with how this is turning out.
Pikka Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #85
Dread-I Master

I think he means scrap the paint job. He and I had been discussing whether or not the orange he mixed was too red.

Unread 04-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #86
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Looks legit to me
Konfyouzd likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #87
Dread-I Master

^ I've almost finished my holoflash project too

Unread 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #88
Sonderkommando

MrGignac is a jewel in the rough
that orange looks really cool, epic build. subscribed
Konfyouzd likes this.
MrGignac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #89
Dread-I Master

I'm really diggin' that TRC. Pleasant surprise since we never talked about that before. Completely slipped my mind tbh.

Unread 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #90
SS Contributor

Quote:
I'm really diggin' that TRC. Pleasant surprise since we never talked about that before. Completely slipped my mind tbh.
Kind of a rare moment of inspiration, I'd say. When I first thought of it, I was concerned that a thin piece of quilted maple might not be strong enough to be a cover, but for such a small piece, it seems to work just fine.
Konfyouzd likes this.
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #91
SS.org Regular

Levi79 is a glorious beacon of lightLevi79 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
droooooooool
Levi79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #92
Dread-I Master

So when you say you played it do you mean through an amp?

Unread 04-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #93
Objects in Space

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I lurve me some Kelly, and some baritone, and some brightass orange. And they're all together!
asher is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #94
SS Contributor

Quote:
So when you say you played it do you mean through an amp?
Through my POD X3, at any rate.

Sanding sealer attempt #2 went on last night and didn't give me any trouble. That stuff dries almost immediately, so it will be ready for sanding, masking and new color coat as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
Konfyouzd likes this.
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #95
Dread-I Master

EDIT: Not a request for sound clips... I was just curious as to whether or not those pups would balance together well given the placement / woods involved. I have much faith in the Blaze Custom.

Unread 04-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #96
SS Contributor

Quote:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/mem...oesitsound.jpg

EDIT: Not a request for sound clips... I was just curious as to whether or not those pups would balance together well given the placement / woods involved. I have much faith in the Blaze Custom.
I had no problem at all with the bridge pickup. The neck was fairly weak by comparison, but I didn't have any height adjustability available at that point and I think it was way too far from the strings really. I intend to cover the pickup and control cavities with shielding paint after the rest of the finish is done and will be using foam under the pickups for height adjustment, both of which will likely help the tone significantly, so I guess I can't say I know what it will actually sound like yet.
Konfyouzd likes this.
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #97
Objects in Space

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Oh, I have something serious to ask now.

Where are you planning on putting the strap pins? I've got a Jackson KE-7 at home, and even with a wide strap it neck dove like mad until I stuck the strap pin onto one of the neck joint bolts. It's a lot better now, but even still it's not the best balanced.
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #98
Dread-I Master

Good question...

Could moving the rear pin in conjunction with the relocating the front one have any positive effect on the situation?

On a semi-related note... I now have another question. How's the weight on that bad boy?

Unread 04-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #99
Objects in Space

Maybe, I'm not sure where you'd relocate the rear to. Moving the front one did help a LOT, particularly with a wider strap, but it's still no well balanced SuperStrat
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #100
Dread-I Master

I thought maybe moving it up or down might hold it in a way that would feel more balanced, but I'm not the best with physics...