homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Something Walnut This Way Comes: KxK 7DC Build (new pics 5/28 complete)

I broke down a bit ago and ordered a KxK 7DC that's now in-progress

Specs:
- KxK 7DC double cut
- 25.5" scale
- flamed mahogany neck / body with center ebony stripe
- claro walnut top
- ebony board
- ss frets
- custom inlays front and back
- custom KxK P90-7s with walnut bobbins

on to the pics

A couple of new updates 2/23

Front (obviously the board is not glued on and the headstock cap hasn't been cut down to size yet)

Back. We're revising the back inlays, but the pic showed off the figured mahogany so well I figured I'd post it anyways

More detailed shot of the P90-7 bobbins

Got an unexpected surprise, turns out the board for this is QUILTED EBONY

Board with inlays

Inlay pics, not oiled yet so things will darken up and the figure will come out more

Updated back inlay pieces cut out. Woods are snakewood, walnut, boxwood, maple for the tiny chest scales on the snakes, and bloodwood.

Frets in and back inlays all cut

Rough carve of the back with the inlays in. Some more shaping still needs to be done, but I'm loving how this looks

Things are coming together

Ready for clear coat

Awesome surprise to end the weekend, the 7DC is done. Final payment is going out in the morning so I should probably have the guitar next week

shadscbr, Shawn, Randy and 7 others like this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
FINISH YOUR SWIRLY YOU BASTARD

This is cool too though
Konfyouzd likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Lovely top.
technomancer likes this.
mountainjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
elq
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

off to my email client to start speccing out a DC7 for myself
technomancer likes this.
elq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
FINISH YOUR SWIRLY YOU BASTARD

This is cool too though
Eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjam View Post
Lovely top.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elq View Post

off to my email client to start speccing out a DC7 for myself
Awesome

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Those back inlays will be very interesting. And since they are going to be wood they shouldn't pose any problem to the neck's stability, yes?
technomancer likes this.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMastodon View Post
Those back inlays will be very interesting. And since they are going to be wood they shouldn't pose any problem to the neck's stability, yes?
They wouldn't effect neck stability regardless of what they were made of, inlays aren't very thick. Anything other than wood might feel a bit odd though.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
You should consider black mop for the inlays too, it looks really cool
technomancer likes this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
You should consider black mop for the inlays too, it looks really cool
Might work for some highlights. The side blocks are going to be walnut and we're talking about walnut and snakewood for the scarabs and bloodwood for the suns.
elq, scherzo1928 and BlackMastodon like this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
elq
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.
grr... decisions decisions.

I was planning on using some of the walnut that I have at Rob's shop -

but I don't want to copy you

So perhaps I should go with something different like redwood or something a bit more maple-y

technomancer likes this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

What is that bottom piece, spalt maple? Looks awesome

I've actually been thinking my next order needs to be a maple or redwood top since I've got the dark wood like walnut and bubinga covered

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Banned

Its cool to see you all using Fraser Valley Woods...they're relatively close by here.
technomancer likes this.
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
?!

s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
This is gonna be awesome! The top looks great, and the inlays on the back of the body and neck are a really cool idea!
technomancer likes this.

PRS Mark Tremonti 10-top

Music Man JPX6 (w/ roasted neck
)
Music Man JPX6 (red sparkle)
ESP Eclipse II Standard

G&L ASAT Classic

Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer

Ibanez Prestige RG3250MZ

Ibanez Premium RG920QM

PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone

EVH 5150 III -> Mesa Rectifier 212
Fender Super-Sonic 112 combo
s_k_mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's looking beautiful!!

Doesn't help my P90 GAS though... I might just order a couple now and get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
I've actually been thinking my next order needs to be a maple or redwood top since I've got the dark wood like walnut and bubinga covered
Get a redwood top! I can't explain how happy I am with my redwood topped guitar. It sounds both super clear and super thick.
technomancer likes this.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Many Fingers

Valennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BUY THINGS
technomancer and otisct20 like this.

Affiliated with Ace Music of Newville, PA.

Valennic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #16
elq
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
Get a redwood top! I can't explain how happy I am with my redwood topped guitar. It sounds both super clear and super thick.
Thanks to Techno, I now have this coming to me
Unread 02-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

IkarusOnFire is a jewel in the rough
Looks very nice - I am glad that you have some spectacular wood for the body - a lot of people disregard the aestethics of a neat looking back and go for regular wood when there's a top on anyway... thumbs up on going for something with figure
technomancer likes this.

--
--
http://www.facebook.com/thevisionablaze
--

--
Available on iTunes and Spotify!
IkarusOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Edika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As usual impeccable taste and awesome guitar on the way! I swear man you must be one of the backbone clients in KxK guitars !!
technomancer likes this.

New songs from my band Semic Stains up at:

http://www.myspace.com/semicstains

Check 'em out!
Edika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
lover of fine woods

mphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Dude, that's gonna be super nice. Do you guys order your own wood blanks?
technomancer likes this.
mphsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #20
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Its cool to see you all using Fraser Valley Woods...they're relatively close by here.
You have to keep an eye out, Fraser gets some amazing stuff in. The burl top for the 7DC in stock came from there, and the other half of that piece is mine and will be going on a future guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k_mullins View Post
This is gonna be awesome! The top looks great, and the inlays on the back of the body and neck are a really cool idea!
Thanks. The idea for doing the inlays on the back was all Rob, I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
That's looking beautiful!!

Doesn't help my P90 GAS though... I might just order a couple now and get it over with.

This guitar was born entirely from P90-7 and walnut GAS

I'm considering grabbing a redwood top and changing the specs to use it on my 7 Scale since it's a semi-hollow. Need to make sure the top isn't glued up on mine yet, but I don't think it has been. While the burl will look amazing I suspect the redwood would sound better for that guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valennic View Post
STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BUY THINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elq View Post
Thanks to Techno, I now have this coming to me
http://i.imgur.com/VOePE.jpg

I've got the cash, I need to grab the other piece like that before somebody else does

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkarusOnFire View Post
Looks very nice - I am glad that you have some spectacular wood for the body - a lot of people disregard the aestethics of a neat looking back and go for regular wood when there's a top on anyway... thumbs up on going for something with figure
Again thank Rob, he suggested the figured mahogany for this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edika View Post
As usual impeccable taste and awesome guitar on the way! I swear man you must be one of the backbone clients in KxK guitars !!
Thanks. I'm definitely a happy repeat customer though there are several guys on here starting to give me a run for my money
scherzo1928 likes this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
ralugeR gro.ss

Ayo7e will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice walnut, always slightly different but always awesome.
technomancer likes this.

Siggery 7 (incoming).
Ayo7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
White Space Jesus

srrdude has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice. Did anyone notice the tag "techno is a bad influence"

I lol'd
technomancer likes this.
srrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
\m/-_-\m/

thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
beautiful top. an all walnut build is on my list of wants
technomancer likes this.

HEISENBERG- Long Island DeathSlam www.facebook.com/heisenbergny
Our debut record is available now!www.heisenbergny.bandcamp.com
thrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
elq
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrdude View Post
Nice. Did anyone notice the tag "techno is a bad influence"

I lol'd

I added that tag shortly after sending an email to Rob, because it's true!
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
SS Contributor

Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
That is going to be bad ass when it's all finished! Looks great so far!
technomancer likes this.

Mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote