homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

NKGP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me decide: Scale Length (25,5"-26,5") / Shape (RG-FR) / Frets (24-21) w/ mockups

Pics first:

RG-25,5"-24 frets

RG-26,5"-24 frets

RG-26,5"-21 frets

FR-25,5"-24 frets

FR-26,5"-24 frets

FR-26,5"-21 frets

- Normally I tune my guitars to drop B, but now and then I go lower. Since I want to keep tension and want to sound tight I thought "why not add an inch to the scale length".
Question: will this difference be noticeable?

- I'm not the tallest guy in the world, but my hands are pretty big. I had a 27,5" guitar once and the thing that annoyed me the most was that the lower frets were further away from the body of the guitar. Taking a bar chord on the first fret wasn't easy so I thought "why not give up 3 frets for a normal nut-body distance".
Question: Does this have a negative consequence?

So as you probably noticed, I've put the regular guitar first, then the one with the longer neck, and then the same one except the neck is missing 3 frets and is shifted towards the body. This both for the RG and the FR.

Personally I think the RG26,5"21 looks like a toy, but the FR26,5"21 looks even more classy than the original.

What are your thoughts?
NKGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Just A Box is just really niceJust A Box is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm still wringing it out, but I am finishing up my first build. I based it on the FR and made some changes. Just in case you need any inspiration. Personally, I'd go for a longer scale length. I can't see an inch or an inch and a half being that much further of a reach , but that's just me.

MAXOFMETAL: It's okay, words are funny. While I see how you could have thought that I meant "ignorant" in the form of, "Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.", when in actuality I meant it as "Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular", which is far from an offence.

I'm sorry you're being so defensive.
Just A Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
26.5" for versatility, as many frets as you can have, and whichever body shape would be more balanced. the dual cut has the longer upper horn, which gives you better balance, avoiding any neck dive issues, for example.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote