SevenString.org

SevenString.org (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/)
-   Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/luthiery-modifications-customizations/)
-   -   Looking for a 7 String Dream Guitar (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/luthiery-modifications-customizations/182484-looking-7-string-dream-guitar.html)

MindDusk 01-02-2012 05:30 PM

Looking for a 7 String Dream Guitar

I have now saved up plenty of money but for months I still find it very hard to navigate in this jungle of guitar, I am not sure yet what to buy, all I know I want premium top quality guitar that makes me inspired to play and that sounds amazing with great sustain. I want a neckthrough guitar with good pick ups both for heavy dist and liquid clean guitar.

When it comes to pickups..color...shape I am not sure yet, I guess I am still trying to find that guitar that makes me get that "must have" feeling...

I would consider to buy a custom made guitar. Price is not a problem, I tend to have this guitar for the next 10 years. So no I am not intersted to buy a massproduced Ibanez guiatr or something like that, now I once for all want to spoil myself with a real premium guitar that is perfect.

The music I play is metal, ambient, mostly...but I really need to say even though I play metal , it is mixed with a lot of clean guitars also so that is certainly one very important aspect, that I get a good clean wide/deep tone with great sustain.

Yeah too much too choose from so I could really need some guidance, I do not want to buy the first best I find, and if I look around in music stores I find mostly massproduced stuff. All recommendations are very appreciated, thank you!

MaxOfMetal 01-02-2012 05:37 PM

It sounds like you don't know exactly what you want. As such, I highly recommend playing as many guitars as humanly possible, even production ones, to find the specs, parts, and attributes you want in a high quality custom instrument.

It took me well over a decade to find what I want in a custom guitar, and I'm still looking for different things.

MindDusk 01-02-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal (Post 2805335)
It sounds like you don't know exactly what you want. As such, I highly recommend playing as many guitars as humanly possible, even production ones, to find the specs, parts, and attributes you want in a high quality custom instrument.

It took me well over a decade to find what I want in a custom guitar, and I'm still looking for different things.

Yes it is true, what I need is inspiration, and I get that if people recommend me guitars, and I could look them up, if I get the right feeling of the instrument I will buy for sure, and read as many reviews as possible for sure.
The main problem is to find guitars, and to google endless hours is really time consuming, that is why I did ask here on the forum. Cause you guys probably know what I would like.

MaxOfMetal 01-02-2012 05:56 PM

I feel without knowing what kind of instruments you like, I'd just be regurgitating the names of builders.

Heck, why not? :lol:

.strandberg* Guitars | Headless, multi-scale and extended range guitars crafted for your unique requirements
Lutherie - Rick Toone | Luthier
Alembic - Fine handcrafted basses and guitars
KXK Guitars - Custom Made in the USA
♪ Siggi Braun - Fine Young Guitars ♫
Jaden Rose Guitars | British Handcrafted Guitars
// Tom Anderson Guitar Works \\
Welcome to John Suhr Guitars, Basses, and Amps - Expanding the Experience of Tone!
Vigier Guitars
Thorn Custom Guitars & Inlay
Frank Hartung Guitars - the new choice of a handmade guitars - FORGEGUITARS - Home

cardinal 01-02-2012 06:00 PM

I would definitely not order a custom until you're sure you know what you want.

As for neckthrough makers, I'm not real familiar with many. There's Carvin, Bernie Rico, ESP, BC Rich, KXK, and Jackson... Maybe I'm missing some. Several others build what I think are set necks that look similar to neckthoughs, like McNaught and Daemoness. Some of these shops seem to have great service and build quality. Others, based purely on watching NGD posts here, some of these shops let some questionable stuff out the door, so do some searching on here to make sure you're comfortable with what you're getting into.

Bouillestfu 01-02-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardinal (Post 2805360)
I would definitely not order a custom until you're sure you know what you want.

Trust me you WANT/NEED a Strandberg no matter who you are :P

Honestly if buying a custom doesn't bother you then you must have enough for HIGH END gear. Give the Ernie Ball Music Man JPs a try. They are VERY versatile guitars the JPX is even chambered giving you wonderfull cleans and acoustic sounds. JPs are known for being the absolute best in terms of mass produced guitars. I've tried a couple before and am saving up for one of my own. To go above JPs is to go custom.

Fillifax 01-02-2012 08:08 PM

Sounds too me like you need a PRS 7-string. Good thing money isn't a problem, then.

MindDusk 01-02-2012 09:08 PM

Thanks man, yeah to get recommendations of different builders are very inspiring I will look through the list, so far I seem to fall for these guitars with a wooden finish of different sorts...I seem to like the raw elemental feel of the instrument. It looks little bit vintage but yet modern at the same time I like that....

Animus 01-02-2012 09:24 PM

i'd say the soon to be released Jackson Broderick 7 strings. I have one of the prototypes and it's just tremendously awesome and reasonably priced for a custom shop level instrument.

leonardo7 01-02-2012 09:28 PM

Mayones Regius 7

ralphy1976 01-02-2012 09:32 PM

When I was searching like you I finally settled on an swirl universe ibanez

However now I think I would consider a teuffel tesla

Explorer 01-02-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindDusk (Post 2805325)
I am not sure yet what to buy... .

When it comes to pickups..color...shape I am not sure yet....

Yeah too much too choose from so I could really need some guidance, I do not want to buy the first best I find....

But it looks like you're waiting to find the first guitar which strikes you as a "must buy," without a lot of experience in what would really define a "must buy" for you.

To echo Max and cardinal, if you are considering a guitar but don't know what you want, you're not ready to buy that instrument yet. It sounds like you're just ready to spend money, but have no clue what actually matters to you.

I find it funny that occasionally, when I consider instruments or effect, I might be indecisive, but if I then run across something which is right, I have jumped in and spent more than I was indecisive about.

I have *never* had others give me input in terms of a custom. I knew what woods I wanted (and why), what hardware, note access, etc.

Out of curiosity... how long have you been playing at a pro level?

JP Universe 01-02-2012 10:20 PM

From the sounds of things I'd go with a high end production guitar. If you don't like endless googling I can't imagine you settling on some specs plus there's the wait time involved with a custom.

EBMM with piezo, PRS, Tom Anderson or Suhr should do the trick for you ;)

Then look at a custom :)

cardinal 01-02-2012 10:48 PM

If you're not sure of the specs you really want, I would stick to only off-the-self stuff. Because resale on custom-option spec stuff is very poor relative to the original price (e.g., I'll only buy a used Anderson if the price is really good, otherwise I can order a brand new one exactly the way I want it).

After you've owned a bunch of different guitars, you'll figure out what you want (scale length, fret size, number of frets, wood types, etc. )

MindDusk 01-02-2012 11:11 PM

please feel free to recommend more builders/brands, it really helps...to go through and see...

Explorer 01-03-2012 02:47 AM

I recommend Google.

I used to date a girl who would never decide on a restaurant, but just wanted me to name restaurants. Then she'd just say, no, I don't like those suggestions, without giving a clue as to why, or as to what she might like better. I finally got to where I would just name three restaurants, and if she didn't like any of them, she'd have to come up with three choices she liked better, or we would go to one of the ones I named (and no, I didn't name crappy ones). She eventually got to the point where she could articulate what she wanted, and knew that she wanted it.

I feel like I just witnessed the same thing here, only you're likely not a delicate 5' 1" size 0 European woman, so there's less motivation to come up with choices. *laugh*

----

Rather than people just tossing out suggestion after suggestion, and having no idea which (if any) appeal to you and which (if any) you hate... why not give some feedback?

"I really liked the instruments recommended from here, but not this aspect!"

If you can't specify what you like or don't like, of course... it gets back to not really knowing what you want.

And if that choice doesn't come from within *you*, then you're not going to be happy with it.

terron 01-03-2012 05:48 AM

zerberusguitars/custom-shop
----------
RAN guitars

----

This guitar, but as 7-strings = Fantastic

http://www.zerberusguitars.com/assets/images/dr4.jpg

http://www.zerberusguitars.com/assets/images/dr10.jpg

vampiregenocide 01-03-2012 06:01 AM

Just play lots of production guitars and see what you like and what you don't like. If one ticks all the boxes for you, get that, if not then find out what specs you'd want in a guitar and find a builder that would be best to create that. I'm sure there must be a lot of guitar stores near you with at least some 7 strings.

Finding your 'dream' guitar isn't something we're going to be able to recommend, as there are too many variables too consider. Most people spend years figuring out what works for them. You're going to have to take time to play a lot of what's out there and find out for yourself.

MindDusk 01-03-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Explorer (Post 2805844)
I recommend Google.

I used to date a girl who would never decide on a restaurant, but just wanted me to name restaurants. Then she'd just say, no, I don't like those suggestions, without giving a clue as to why, or as to what she might like better. I finally got to where I would just name three restaurants, and if she didn't like any of them, she'd have to come up with three choices she liked better, or we would go to one of the ones I named (and no, I didn't name crappy ones). She eventually got to the point where she could articulate what she wanted, and knew that she wanted it.

I feel like I just witnessed the same thing here, only you're likely not a delicate 5' 1" size 0 European woman, so there's less motivation to come up with choices. *laugh*

----

Rather than people just tossing out suggestion after suggestion, and having no idea which (if any) appeal to you and which (if any) you hate... why not give some feedback?

"I really liked the instruments recommended from here, but not this aspect!"

If you can't specify what you like or don't like, of course... it gets back to not really knowing what you want.

And if that choice doesn't come from within *you*, then you're not going to be happy with it.

To get informed by different builders does certainly help a lot.. the more builders I find the more certain I get what I want...

Also I want to make sure before I buy that I have been looking at all possible alternatives so I do now what is out there..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Explorer (Post 2805632)
But it looks like you're waiting to find the first guitar which strikes you as a "must buy," without a lot of experience in what would really define a "must buy" for you.

To echo Max and cardinal, if you are considering a guitar but don't know what you want, you're not ready to buy that instrument yet. It sounds like you're just ready to spend money, but have no clue what actually matters to you.

I find it funny that occasionally, when I consider instruments or effect, I might be indecisive, but if I then run across something which is right, I have jumped in and spent more than I was indecisive about.

I have *never* had others give me input in terms of a custom. I knew what woods I wanted (and why), what hardware, note access, etc.

Out of curiosity... how long have you been playing at a pro level?

Trust me there is a lot of instruments that I would really like..but currently I am drowning in the ocean of choice...But I think for every day I am getting closer to what I want..that I want a guitar with wooden finish does for instance filters out most of the choice dramtically... There is a few guitars that I already consider, but I want to find more guitars and more builders, then make a list of let's say 10 guitars then I will have to narrow it down and at last decide what guitar I want...

When it comes of choosing right pickup..that can take many weeks of goggling to research more of what the market has to offer and what pickups that is right for me...

I have not tried enough picksups and guitar to really be sure..

But I can tell you, I was very happy with my EMG pickups for my 8 string RG2228 for CLEAN sounds..it sounded very deep and rich for clean sounds...for distorted sound I was less impressed... for clean sounds Active pickups also fills the purpose of being very clean...no electric disturbance leaks into the sound...but on the other hand my experience with passive pickups is cheaper non-highend...

Well pickups I guess will be a later problem...but I am for sure ready to pay extra for the best pickups if it is justified.

While it looks nice, I would prefer a bigger body guitar, and with wodden finish and not colored, I prefer the raw organic look.

I would prefer the Evil Morpheus, but I am kind of sure it is bolt on neck (south korea ?) The pickups looks very nice...kammerstein...no idea how they sound... anyway I like the finish of that guitar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiregenocide (Post 2805988)
Just play lots of production guitars and see what you like and what you don't like. If one ticks all the boxes for you, get that, if not then find out what specs you'd want in a guitar and find a builder that would be best to create that. I'm sure there must be a lot of guitar stores near you with at least some 7 strings.

Finding your 'dream' guitar isn't something we're going to be able to recommend, as there are too many variables too consider. Most people spend years figuring out what works for them. You're going to have to take time to play a lot of what's out there and find out for yourself.

Well everyone does not live in America with big music shops and with a lot of guitars, Almost all guitars I have bought online, so it is the best choice for me. As long as it is good instrument I am sure I will get used to it.. but I am tired of play cheap budget plastic crap, I want a guitar with real good sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animus (Post 2805574)
i'd say the soon to be released Jackson Broderick 7 strings. I have one of the prototypes and it's just tremendously awesome and reasonably priced for a custom shop level instrument.

That guitar looks little bit to conventional for my taste, looks like a guitar that every metal guitarist have.. I want something that feels and looks more organic.

I also try to find youtube clips... of each guitar I find interesting... for instance the strictly7 guitars sounds impressive to my ears...

Bouillestfu 01-03-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindDusk (Post 2806664)
I also try to find youtube clips... of each guitar I find interesting... for instance the strictly7 guitars sounds impressive to my ears...

If strickly7s are your thing, they're comming out with the Ola Englund signature Solar7 which sounds amazing but it's another black guitar :P

markbolwell54 01-03-2012 04:41 PM

Dmoness Guitars : News

This guy is producing some serious works of art!

http://www.daemonessguitars.co.uk/ga...ean_es7_01.jpg

http://www.daemonessguitars.co.uk/ga...erian_p7_2.jpg

MTech 01-03-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindDusk (Post 2805564)
so far I seem to fall for these guitars with a wooden finish of different sorts...I seem to like the raw elemental feel of the instrument. It looks little bit vintage but yet modern at the same time I like that....

I keep throwing up stock guitars for Bernie int he Dealer section.. you said wood finish and "raw elemental" there's a nice 27" scale 7 that's natural oil finished so doesn't get much more raw than that.

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...96683852_n.jpg

MindDusk 01-03-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTech (Post 2806761)
I keep throwing up stock guitars for Bernie int he Dealer section.. you said wood finish and "raw elemental" there's a nice 27" scale 7 that's natural oil finished so doesn't get much more raw than that.

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...96683852_n.jpg

looks nice, but I think I prefer more darker wood finish. Thanks for the recommendation though I am looking at their website right now.

vampiregenocide 01-03-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindDusk (Post 2806647)
Well everyone does not live in America with big music shops and with a lot of guitars, Almost all guitars I have bought online, so it is the best choice for me. As long as it is good instrument I am sure I will get used to it.. but I am tired of play cheap budget plastic crap, I want a guitar with real good sound.

I don't live in America and there are plenty of good stores around where I can try stuff out. Sometimes you have to drive a bit but if you're serious about making a big purchase you want to try shit out. I'm sure there are stores around if you have a look, just might have to actually travel to them.

MindDusk 01-03-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiregenocide (Post 2806793)
I don't live in America and there are plenty of good stores around where I can try stuff out. Sometimes you have to drive a bit but if you're serious about making a big purchase you want to try shit out. I'm sure there are stores around if you have a look, just might have to actually travel to them.

Considering the guitars I am used to play with, I strongly believe that I will not be disspointed if I buy a high end guitar..it might take some time to get used to it however. As long as the specs and feel is good it is mostly about myself how i craft the instrument.

But yeah I do not think it will be possible to try these kind of custom made or non-massproduction guitars... cause they do not ship all the way to my country to just let me try it and then send it back.