homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vansinn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Silence2-38554 is just really niceSilence2-38554 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thoughts on tuneomatic Wilkinson roller bridge?

So, in my hunt for a replacement bridge for my LTD SC500, I am pretty set on at least trying out a Wilkinson brass roller bridge with locking saddles. There are, however, a couple things making me hesitant. First thing being saddle spacing. The stock bridge has a string spread of about 2 1/16", while the Wilkinson is 2" dead. Will this be a noticeable change over the stock spacing? The other concern I have is that I tend to string my guitar with fairly heavy gauge strings to accommodate drop C tuning, typically having a .58 or .60 as the 6th string. I was reading through some reviews reporting that larger gauge strings don't seat very well in the roller due to each roller having the same width of groove. And yes, the guitar I would be using this bridge with has a string-through design, rather than a trem which is what these bridges are typically used with. I'm really just looking to hear from other people that have had experiences with this bridge & what did you think of it?
Silence2-38554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

HighPotency is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I haven't had experience with the bridge, but the 1/16" difference equates to only a 1/112 difference per string so I doubt it's noticeable.

On a semi-related note... Holy crap that's a heavy string for drop C.
HighPotency is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Needs more strings

Metal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPotency View Post
I haven't had experience with the bridge, but the 1/16" difference equates to only a 1/112 difference per string so I doubt it's noticeable.

On a semi-related note... Holy crap that's a heavy string for drop C.
I use a .060 for my 6-er tuned between B standard/ C standard. Helps to give it a freaking huge fat tone.
/OT

As said, the spacing between the strings is going to be a few thou closer, more than likely will make absolutely not difference.
Metal_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
such a shredneck..

vansinn is just really nicevansinn is just really nice
Why will you want a roller bridge on your LTD?
Do you have strings stuck in the groove (so to speak) ?
If this is the case, maybe simply consider Graphtech saddles, if available for your bridge.

Some discussions on the topic: Advice, Please... Bigsby + Roller Bridge - The Gear Page
espman likes this.

van Sinn... plays progressive jazz/rock/metal fusion and Hindu-ambiance
says, stop second guessing the past, keep pushing, or risk getting left behind
vansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansinn View Post
Why will you want a roller bridge on your LTD?
There's a lot of folks that like the smoother "transition" with the rollers over the regular TOM-style saddles. Plus, it's supposedly a heavy, comfortable, locking bridge.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of screw adjusters for setting the intonation.

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
derpa derp!

silent_k is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRay View Post
The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of screw adjusters for setting the intonation.
I have one of these bridges on a Jazzmaster I built, and while it's reasonably good quality, Ray's observation is its worst feature. Making intonation adjustments is a real pain. If you're looking for a direct replacement that won't involve pulling the existing bushings, doweling the holes, and redrilling, it's not a bad option -- just be prepared for some challenges with intonation. If you are removing the bushings, I'd consider the Schaller roller bridge, which I've also used on a couple of builds. It's a higher quality piece overall, and the intonation screws are a major plus.
silent_k is offline   Reply With Quote