homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Purelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wink Baritone 7 27.5 in scale build (Myrtlewood, Sapele goodness)

Hey guys,

Im building a guitar in my room on my breaks while i study for the Medical boards. It helps me maintain my sanity as well as feed my addiction for this stuff. I made a blog to catalog the process and its because i have a wordpress app i can do everything from the phone. But i figure i'd post it here as well in case i need some help or if there is any input or advice people may offer. This place has always been helpful to me so i figure its a good idea. I'll upload all the pics of the progress i've made so far, then as it goes further i'll keep adding more here. Thanks for checking it out!

Anyhow SPECS!:

7 string
27.5 in scale length (baritone)
Macassar Ebony 20in radius
Neck: Sapele Mahogany (bolt on)
Body: Sapele Mahogany
Top: Myrtlewood
Pickups: BKP Camo covered
Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge
Bareknuckle Warpig Neck
Hipshot 7 bridge (from Keith Merrow )
Earvana Compensated 7 string nut
6100 dunlop fretwire

NOW PICS!!!

Im getting a custom satin black/gold config from sperzel!! these are just for layout

I dont have many tools so i do with what i can find. For the big stuff i'll take it to a lumber yard cause i dont wanna lose a finger lol..

Anyhow wish me luck!
Shawn, Randy, dis89 and 4 others like this.
Purelojik is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Letīs Get Wasted!

jarnozz is a glorious beacon of lightjarnozz is a glorious beacon of lightjarnozz is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
very nice work so far my friend! keep the pics coming!
jarnozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks good!

do me a favor though and never, ever put your plane down like that. Let it lie on its side Seeing it like this makes me shiver.

SPEEDGURU - fuzz/doom/death
http://www.facebook.com/speedgurudoom
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Djeff

sk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of lightsk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of lightsk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of light
Very tight work.

sk3ks1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 105 reviews
Good luck with the build.

Every time somebody says "sapele", I think of this:

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Purelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to allPurelojik is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheSign View Post
Looks good!

do me a favor though and never, ever put your plane down like that. Let it lie on its side Seeing it like this makes me shiver.
thanks dude. the blades been retracted. i wouldnt leave it on the table with the blade out. if thats what your worried about lol. its also my first time using the hand plane. thing was difficult to use at first but i think i've gotten the hang of it.
UnderTheSign likes this.
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Linny is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheSign View Post
Looks good!

Why?
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I've got a few things to say.

This pic made my day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purelojik View Post
If you ever run out of coffee filters, get some waxed paper (like the one used for baking). I've used it when glueing with titebond, epoxy and CA, and it never gets glued. Great stuff!

I might make this my new desktop image
Quote:
And finally, pics of the fanfretted guitar in the background?
Quote:
Well, I guess I lied when I said "and finally". I'm loving the shape, and the wood choice is pretty sweet. I think this will turn out to be a beautiful guitar.

Best of luck!
Purelojik likes this.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Djeff

sk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of lightsk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of lightsk3ks1s is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
Why?
The blade protrudes past the foot of the plane. Placing it foot down has the potential to damage the blade or at least throw off the camber.

sk3ks1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
I've got a few things to say.

This pic made my day.

If you ever run out of coffee filters, get some waxed paper (like the one used for baking). I've used it when glueing with titebond, epoxy and CA, and it never gets glued. Great stuff!

I might make this my new desktop image

And finally, pics of the fanfretted guitar in the background?

Well, I guess I lied when I said "and finally". I'm loving the shape, and the wood choice is pretty sweet. I think this will turn out to be a beautiful guitar.

Best of luck!

Man you are very observant! and thanks for the compliments!. The photos were taken on my iphone using Camera +. yep its the fan fretted guitar prototype i made while in med school in india. it was my first build and after soaking up all the info here i decided to go big. the whole buildstory is on my blog. its a hackjob litterally. i took a flatmount 7 bridge and took a hacksaw to it to make the individual bridges. but since it was in india the wood was altogether about 10 USD so i really went crrazy.

Thanks again dude.
Unread 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Links to previous hackjob lol

Here's a link to the preview Fan fret hackjob i built last year.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=4573f7171a

And its build story here.

2010 September Ŧ Lutherie…

just follow the months until the present time and you'll see all the craziness. Those photos were taken with my blackberry 9700
scherzo1928 likes this.
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Truss Rod Routed

So i have a Dremel Trio and honestly havent used it for anything. I measured the bit and realized its the exact size and depth for the Stew Mac Hot Rod Truss Rods. So i figured what the hell.

It ain't pretty but it fits nice and snug. i'll have to find some silicone to put in the groove to prevent rattling. i dont wanna buy a giant tube but if they dont have small ones then im SOL.
I made two passes, each taking off 0.2 in of wood. Went very smoothly

Done!.

Im awaiting a package of veneers and some Tee Nuts so i can do the neck bolt Decibel Guitar Style.
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

HighPotency is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Out of curiosity, what is the method you refer to that Patrick ......... uses to prep his necks and fretboards?
HighPotency is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPotency View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the method you refer to that Patrick ......... uses to prep his necks and fretboards?
a buddy of mine who was building a mandolin at the time i was building the fanned fretted seven string was following some video's Mr. Patrick H. had put on youtube on how to prep a fretboard and his whole fretting techniques. i think i saved them somewhere, cause he usually removes his videos.

They were helpful but its basically what everyone else does; nothing too special. i think because the entire fretting process was shown to me in that series of videos, is why i liked that method.

basically he just leaves the neck square, so he can hammer the frets in easily. before all that he goes over how he shapes and polishes the fretboard before gluing. once glued he goes over how he hammers frets in, then levels and crowns them. for a beginner who'd just read about it it was informative to actuallly SEE it done from beginning to end. worked great for me since i love visual learning.
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

yea i checked, the vids have been taken down since then. dunno why he does that. but i also watch Ormsby Guitars Video Diary. they make a guitar from start to finish and its great to watch.

Ormsby Guitars - Multiscale Custom Video Diary - PART ONE - YouTube
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Neck and Body Bandsawed!

Hey guys,

Little update. Both neck and body are bandsawed. once i get the package of T Nuts installed on the neck and have them fitted to the body i'll glue the fretboard and have everything trued up!.

Im getting more excited as this project goes on!

Until next time!
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

idunno is just really niceidunno is just really nice
Thats a great piece of sapelli, where did you score that? I also really like the curve at the bottom of the fretboard, dont cut it off!
idunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

HighPotency is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just got a bunch of t-nuts and bolts/washers to go with them a couple days ago!

On a semi-related note, I'm kind of new here (joined a while back but recently switched over from UG and let me tell you it's a breath of fresh air from being trapped in a small room full of smelly, farting 10 year olds)... Why was Mr. He-who-apparently-shall-not-be-named's name edited out of my post?
Purelojik likes this.
HighPotency is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPotency View Post
I just got a bunch of t-nuts and bolts/washers to go with them a couple days ago!

On a semi-related note, I'm kind of new here (joined a while back but recently switched over from UG and let me tell you it's a breath of fresh air from being trapped in a small room full of smelly, farting 10 year olds)... Why was Mr. He-who-apparently-shall-not-be-named's name edited out of my post?
He was a member and was kind of a douche and got pissy over stuff and decided to leave and demand that all memory of him and the use of his name be erased.

Ive seen his posts on multiple forums many times, and to be honest he was pretty full of himself and basically a jerk all the time. Beautiful work though! I wouldnt mind having one of his guitars.
Purelojik likes this.
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Great, now I can only guess at who this character is. Though I do have an idea, actually.
Pikka Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Thats a great piece of sapelli, where did you score that? I also really like the curve at the bottom of the fretboard, dont cut it off!
thanks man, i got the sapelli from this place called Exotic Woods. I've bought stuff from there before and they are great to work with. the one i got is actually a three piece glued body to keep costs down. it was only 35 bucks so i figure i'd get it and make this a prototype. its got a great tap tone and everything. The neck i got from LMII.com and its also sapele which also wasnt much.

and the curve at the bottom im keeping cause it looks cool!
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
He was a member and was kind of a douche and got pissy over stuff and decided to leave and demand that all memory of him and the use of his name be erased.

Ive seen his posts on multiple forums many times, and to be honest he was pretty full of himself and basically a jerk all the time. Beautiful work though! I wouldnt mind having one of his guitars.
yep he used to be on here. never really liked his attitude about things. but i had to hand it to him he did make some nice looking guitars. I basically soaked in all the build videos he used to make, and also oggled blackmachines forever. so i figure since the basic building principles are similar i'll just encorporate them in this one. Also Vik guitars has some of the classiest looking work ever. i love his multiple veneer sandwiches on his headstock so im gonna give that a try as well.

i've always loved the integrated armrest thing that greenfield guitars, also on blackmachines and H's guitars. its a simple chamfer that adds a nice little functional accent.

im also gonna be sandwiching a black fiber venner between the body and top to add a little accent.
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

Thanks for the wood link! I couldn't even tell it was three pieces, it looks like two!

The fiber veneer in the middle will be a great idea, it always adds a little something extra. Good luck on the rest of the build, its looking great so far.
Purelojik likes this.
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
This is a great shot. Should sell it.

This project looks great so far. Thanks a ton for the wood link. Ive been wanting to build a guitar for a long time but never felt like investing the money. These guys have a 3 piece mahogany blank for $50. Great deal.
Purelojik likes this.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #25
SS.org Regular

LOOK at that figure POP

So not really an update but i had to share.

Just hit the surface with a little Mineral Spirits to show the figure and POP! look at this beauty.

Solodini likes this.