homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #51
Objects in Space

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASoC View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't tipping it up the way you have it drawn make you NEED a string tree?

I would think that the up angle would get even less downforce on the nut than a straight headstock
On everything except the furthest out string or two, I don't think so. Ends up depending on the individual angles in question...

Anyhow, guess what I was doing this morning

The beast of a machine in question:

I ended up bandsawing out the shape because the contour cut to pull it out plunged all the way down and then tried to cut, pulling the MDF with it. The pickup rout pockets did this too, but not nearly so severely; I'll update the final code.
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #52
SS.org Regular

HighPotency is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Holy giant pictures, batman!

I thought my laptop screen is huge (17.3" and 1600x900 resolution), but these pictures proved me wrong.
HighPotency is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #53
Objects in Space

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Shiiit. That's off my phone. Ima go resize those..
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #54
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by asher View Post
What would be suggested? Tipping it down as much as possible and using a string tree?
I'd put it flat and thicken it a bit in the positive z direction so to speak. The shear stresses caused by the mounted tuners is fixed (well, kinda), so the only thing altered is how those stresses approach sensitive areas (thickness, angle of forces and thus the resultant shear force, moments of area [kind of fixed by design here], etc). The more horizontal you place the headstock (or even travel negative degrees to a certain limit) the more those forces approach normal. Dense (in this case laminate) pieces are good at dealing with those normal directed stresses. so are your glue joints.

This is just coming from a couple materials classes though, so I'm not an expert. It isn't rocket science though and it's pretty universal application to application, so I guess my opinion is at least a teensy bit valid.
scherzo1928 likes this.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #55
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
That looks fantastic dude!

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #56
Yes, pancakes.

simulclass83 is just really nicesimulclass83 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Seriously this thread is going places!
Konfyouzd and MrHelloGuitar like this.
simulclass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #57
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
24" computer user here. got bigger pics?
DredFul likes this.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #58
Objects in Space

Also, balance is totally fine on the MDF mockup. Pretty sure I will need to adjust the cavity to fit the output jack though.
phrygian12 likes this.
Unread 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #59
Objects in Space

Limba end grain looks sweet.

Planed up the body a whole bunch. Glue joints look much neater now.
Topside, under myrtle:

Back:

Glued up one of the top pieces. Since I can't remember which way I put it on, I'm praying I actually put it on the right way after doing all the checking and aligning... it is flush to the centerline though:

Finally got enough clamps and an upper board on there to even out the pressure.

fun fact: while Limba dust smells kind of sickly sweet, myrtle dust smells like fresh popcorn
phrygian12 and scherzo1928 like this.
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #60
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by asher View Post
fun fact: while Limba dust smells kind of sickly sweet, myrtle dust smells like fresh popcorn
maple smells like maple syrup (imagine that), tzalam smells like chocolate, rosewood smells beautiful... not sure what it smells like, but I love it.

Oh, and cocobolo smells like aids.
asher, JamesM and Fiction like this.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #61
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Paduak smells like vanilla, oak smells kinda sour... Ebony I'm not sure and I don't want to find out.

SPEEDGURU - fuzz/doom/death
http://www.facebook.com/speedgurudoom
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #62
Kassandrian Dreams

Scattered Messiah is just really niceScattered Messiah is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
and what does it taste like?
Scattered Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #63
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mahogany dust smells and tastes like ass.
JamesM and DredFul like this.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #64
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #65
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
One must then conclude that you have tasted ass, and I have tasted Aids... or perhaps I'm so omniscient that I know what aids tastes like.

Back on topic though. I really like how the body "blank" is looking. Also, little late for this, but it would have been waaay easier to glue both halves on top the top at the same time... cleaning the "joint" before glueing the other side could be a bit tougher than you might think... unless you did something to stop glue from seeping out on that side.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #66
Objects in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
One must then conclude that you have tasted ass, and I have tasted Aids... or perhaps I'm so omniscient that I know what aids tastes like.

Back on topic though. I really like how the body "blank" is looking. Also, little late for this, but it would have been waaay easier to glue both halves on top the top at the same time... cleaning the "joint" before glueing the other side could be a bit tougher than you might think... unless you did something to stop glue from seeping out on that side.
Nope. I went at it with a chisel today. I'm having issues getting it totally, 100% flush, but it's almost there.

I did run out of clamps though, so I don't think I would have been able to do a very good job of gluing the second half down.
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #67
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Coming along nicely! Great to see more people using Rhino!

DO NOT do a forward tilt on your headstock. You WILL regret it. It will not work.

The EBMM headstock is flat (parallel to the fretboard), and if memory serves correctly, they use staggered tuner posts (the ones furthest from the nut are shorter) to get the strings breaking over the nut at a more consistent angle, without the need for a string tree. Also be sure to design your headstock thickness within the allowable minimum and maximum thickness your tuners will accommodate.
scherzo1928 and Solodini like this.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #68
Objects in Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Coming along nicely! Great to see more people using Rhino!

DO NOT do a forward tilt on your headstock. You WILL regret it. It will not work.

The EBMM headstock is flat (parallel to the fretboard), and if memory serves correctly, they use staggered tuner posts (the ones furthest from the nut are shorter) to get the strings breaking over the nut at a more consistent angle, without the need for a string tree. Also be sure to design your headstock thickness within the allowable minimum and maximum thickness your tuners will accommodate.
Thanks!

Didn't think they were staggered when I looked at my JP7, but I definitely am planning to just tilt the headstock back as much as my neck blank depth will allow, and if I need a tree, I need a tree. Just haven't had time to re model it, with finals and all.
Unread 04-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #69
Objects in Space

not happy with how this turned out. Got it mostly flush but on gluing the piece warped up significantly, as well as refused to stay slid against the centerline. I got it to be somewhat decent, but it's nowhere close to flush because it just would not stay. I have to see how it turns out tomorrow... not optimistic. Might have to run a strip of some other wood down the middle.
phrygian12 likes this.

Likes are good, rep is better!

SchecterWhore: Artistic voice is the same as your speaking voice.
Two people can say the same thing and come across differently in a lot of ways.
When my girlfriend and I are walking through a crowd, she squeaks "Excuse me!" and sounds cute and non-threatening.
I say "Excuse me," and the person in front of us thinks they're about to get butt-raped by Barry White.
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #70
Objects in Space

Ugh. Not pleased AT ALL.

Suggestions?
phrygian12 likes this.

When my girlfriend and I are walking through a crowd, she squeaks "Excuse me!" and sounds cute and non-threatening.
I say "Excuse me," and the person in front of us thinks they're about to get butt-raped by Barry White.
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #71
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Ooooh, bummer.

I'd say rout out a strip the length of the body roughly 2mm wide and put in an inlay of some sort, similar to the PRS Santana models (the legit ones, not the SE models).

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #72
has wood for you

Probably ditch thep top. The limba is too nice to let it go to waste, so I'd remove the top either with a routing jig, or something like that. Then glue a new top. Or just keep the limba which looks awesome anyways.

I was also going to sugest that you glued a strip in between the 2 pieces of the top like Xaios said, but I think there's a gap between the limba and the 2nd piece... So either you decide you can live with that gap, and maybe do some binding to cover it up, or ditch the top altogether.

Is this... guitar?
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #73
Objects in Space

I think the parts of the top that are over where the actual body is are fitted better, as there's a lot of offcut on the bottom half.

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #74
SS.org Regular

ECGuitars is a jewel in the rough
Depending on the glue used you can use an iron and a damp cloth to heat the top and re melt the glue. It'll more than likely render the top useless but you never know.. Next time you laminate a top like that use some cauls, or at least some thin squares of wood underneath the clamps to disperse the clamping pressure more evenly across the top. The way you can those clamps set up ultimately led to what happen as the clamp is only applying direct pressure right underneath where it is. You could even just clamp your template onto the top while you laminating it on there. Another suggestion I have would be to, it the future A) either laminate the top halves together THEN onto the body, or B) Laminate the two halves of the body (Myrtle and Limba) separately, then joint to two halves together, that will prevent the large seam in the middle from happening. We all make mistakes, its how we learn!
scherzo1928 likes this.
ECGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #75
Objects in Space

I mean, I did use wood, I guess it wasn't think enough - though it worked on the other half.

I do realize that I should have done both halves at once but I didn't have enough clamps. The Limba is also in three blocks while the top was in two.

Glue was titebond.