homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sezna
  • 1 Post By spacecadet23
  • 2 Post By BlackMastodon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Southern Djentleman

spacecadet23 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question MCS 11 String Concept

Hey Everybody, looking at MCS guitars for my first custom but I need ideas about what sort of bridge I could use. But first, about the guitar.

My idea was born from the Moser 10/6 model, which the rest of the world knows as the BCR "Bich". All I'm doing is taking a standard 10 stringer and adding a 7th to it (B, E, A, dD, gG, bB, eE). I know it will work if I could, somehow, get my hands on a BCR QUAD 7 bridge but I'm not sure what other options I have. One of the other options I have considered is using a 7 string TOM and having the strings first 7 pass through the body and the other 4 terminate at the end (like a regular 10 string).

I'd really like to keep the look and feel of a wraparound bridge. I know that TonePros advertises some custom shop possibilities but I don't know if they specifically work with luthiers or take individual orders.

Any Ideas?

BTW: I'm sure that this particular setup has been done by BCR before. 4 or 5 years ago I found pictures of an 11 string setup. If anyone has a copy of those pics I'd love to take a look at them.

Jordan
spacecadet23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Southern Djentleman

Question

Okay, so allparts stocks the last known 7 string wraparound in gold only [7-String Stud Mount | Allparts.com]. Does anybody have any thoughts about powder coating it?

Jordan
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet23 View Post
Okay, so allparts stocks the last known 7 string wraparound in gold only [7-String Stud Mount | Allparts.com]. Does anybody have any thoughts about powder coating it?

Jordan
Apart from anything else, thanks for this! I've been wondering where a supply of quality 7-string bridges in TOM-type configurations could be found.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you contacted Neal about the bridge? I think there was someone else on the Moser forum that was interested in an 11-string Moser as well... Though it's been a few years.

Not sure about Tonepros custom shop but ABM can do custom work too.
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Southern Djentleman

Talking

Thanks for the replies guys. BTW. I was able to track down a picture of the original BCR Koa Bich on their facebook page. Not a fan of the EMGs but it's still a cool concept

Unread 12-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
sweep.tap.sweep

xwmucradiox is a splendid one to beholdxwmucradiox is a splendid one to beholdxwmucradiox is a splendid one to beholdxwmucradiox is a splendid one to beholdxwmucradiox is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:

Jordan
The powder coating would scratch off the first time you string it up. If you aren't completely attached to the tunomatic setup, Gotoh makes dual saddles for 12 string hardtail strat bridges. You could use a standard 7 string hardtail with 4 of those saddles and 3 regular saddles.
xwmucradiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Buckethead's white LP Custom has powder coated hardware... I think they may have just gently rubbed off the powder around the string grooves and on the intonation screw threads before baking.
Pikka Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Cheese toucher

Adam Partridge is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Does anybody have any thoughts about powder coating it?
I have a thought: don't bother. Gold is the best colour of hardware easy!
Adam Partridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Southern Djentleman

Talking

Did a little research last night and I think I've come up with an alternative to the wraparound. I came accross a picture of an early 8-string Bich bass that had a TOM bridge on it. The main 4 terminated at the stop-tail and the 4 resonant strings passed under the stop-tail and terminated at the tuners. Essentially, the stop-tail serves two purposes: a. as a base for the main strings and 2. as a string tree to guide the resonant strings. Haven't sketched out how this is going to look but it might just do the trick if I can't get my hands on a Quad 7 or an alternate color for the ABM wraparound.

Not hating on gold; gold is a great color, just not what I had in mind for this build.

Jordan
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Southern Djentleman

Talking Update

I know; I know; I'm resurrecting an old thread but I just thought that y'all might want to take a look at these:

I decided that an Ibanez Gibraltar Custom bridge would work perfectly because you can place the ferrules closer to the bridge allowing me to keep the classic bich cutout as opposed to a more shallow sweep found on the kahler & T.O.M. equipped guitars. Might be a PITA get one but any Ibby dealer can order it from the factory. Full specs for each guitar are listed in the description at my photobucket gallery: The Bich Gallery Photos by spacecadet23 | Photobucket. The only question now is which one is my favorite?

BTW can you believe that I created these using nothing but microsoft powerpoint?!

Jordan
Unread 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

sezna will become famous soon enough
That..is so incredibly sexy and unique. I forgive you for resurrecting. And oh, the power of microsoft office.
ThePhilosopher likes this.
sezna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
Southern Djentleman

Exclamation Sorry, the links are all FUBAR

Sorry about this guys, the photobucket links are all fubar. Once again, here is the eye candy.

Jordan

pondman likes this.
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Southern Djentleman

Another Gallery Addition

Took some inspiration from the Tosin Abasi & Chris Broderick sig's and came up with this snowy white beauty.

Jordan

Unread 11-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Needs some more knobs and switches.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks good, I especially dig the natural quilt look. Or go with a lighter trans blue... nealmoser.com Guitar Photos 9

SPEEDGURU - fuzz/doom/death
http://www.facebook.com/speedgurudoom
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #16
Southern Djentleman

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheSign View Post
Looks good, I especially dig the natural quilt look. Or go with a lighter trans blue... nealmoser.com Guitar Photos 9
Here ya' go; my tribute to the infamous "Swimming Pool Bich", appropriately named "Salacia" after the roman goddess of the ocean.

Jordan

Unread 11-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Southern Djentleman

Talking

With the holidays coming up I was once again inspired to create another vGuitar. This one features Benedetto B7 pups and a switching/preamp system that is based off of the "swimming pool" bich. I know they're jazz pups but, surprisingly, they handle distortion/drive really well and, when you coil tap them they can produce convincing strat/tele sounds. Really surprised with these and, besides, they just look friggin' cool.

Jordan