homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Tritono is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Best Fixed Bridge to convert RG1527z ???

Some months ago I bought a RG1527z. From factory it comes with Edge Zero 7 tremolo with ZPS 3 bridge. I need perfect tuning and intonation and obviously this bridge dont give me that. I thought about it and I want to convert my guitar in a solid body guitar and put a fixed bridge.

What fixed bridge do you recommend for my guitar? I researching about the Hipshot 7 String Fixed Bridge http://store.hipshotproducts.com/car...t_detail&p=170 and it seems a good option.

Let me know and thanks in advance
Tritono is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So you can't setup your trem? Take it to a pro to get setup, then just have them block it in place. It'll be significantly cheaper and just as solid.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

I can setup my guitar but I like perfect tuning even when I do bends, the zps 3 system is not perfect, far away from perfect in fact. Like I said, I thought about it and I prefer the tuning and intonation stability of a fixed bridge than a floating tremolo (and it comes from a whammy bar maniac). I know that block the trem is an option but you dont get the sustain and sound of a solid guitar. I will think about it but please help me with my answer
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Honestly, sell the guitar and get a used RG7621, it's the older fixed bridge version of what is essentially the RG1527 (more specifically the RG1527's predecessor, the RG7620). In fact, if you sell the RG1527 you'll probably have enough cash to pick up a nearly mint RG7621 and have cash left over to upgrade/modify it as you please.

If you are absolutely dead set on modifying the RG1527, then I'd recommend the following:
1) I'd get a Hipshot as it's going to be just about the most flexible option. Not to mention it's low profile install will come in handy.
2) Replace the locking nut with a high quality GraphTech replacement.
3) Fill the back and top cavities with a very dense hardwood, such as Rock Maple. It'll need to be cut VERY well, as you don't want gaps.

After that, you'll probably want a refinish, as it'll look pretty ragged around the top of the guitar. Though, that's only aesthetic and not a "must".

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Thank you very much. Is not a option the RG7621 because I understand the neck is bigger than the RG1527z neck, plus an older guitar will need fret work.

If I go with the fixed bridge do you think I will need Locked Machine Heads or the stock machine heads of the guitar are enough?
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritono View Post
Thank you very much. Is not a option the RG7621 because I understand the neck is bigger than the RG1527z neck, plus an older guitar will need fret work.

If I go with the fixed bridge do you think I will need Locked Machine Heads or the stock machine heads of the guitar are enough?
Actually it's the other way around, the neck on the RG1527Z is slightly thicker and wider at the 24th fret compared to the neck on the older RG7621 (the same for the RG7620, RG7420, and RG7421). It won't "need" fretwork, especially if it was hardly played, of the dozen or so older RG7s I've owned only two really "needed" fretwork. Getting a fret level or polish is going to be significantly cheaper than even half of the work you plan on doing to the RG1527Z.

I don't think you'll need locking tuners, to be honest locking tuners don't really do much. It's the nut you want to focus on, as 90% of tuning issues on fixed bridge guitars come from the nut NOT the tuners like a lot of folks think. As long as you get a quality, slippery, well cut nut on the guitar and string up the tuner posts properly (minimal winds), then you won't need to worry about the tuners. The stock ones are high quality Gotohs.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Thank you. Good news about the Machine Heads! I will ask to luthiers here how much they ask for doing the convertion to a solid body guitar. Right now, Im thinking in that block the bridge is a good alternative, but I need this guitar years with me so the sustain, tone and stability of a fixed bridge guitar is something to consider. Bought a RG7621 is not a option in my country and I can't buy a guitar internationally without try it for myself.

You recommend to me the Hipshot fixed bridge. There are two models: .125 and .175 - what it means and what do you recommend to me based in my guitar?

Thank you in advance!
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Honestly, you're not going to gain a ton of sustain by transforming the guitar into a fixed bridge one. Trust me, I've modded several guitars in the manner to which you're looking to do, and really, the difference is very minuscule, if at all. Sorry, didn't realize you weren't in the US, as "nowhere" isn't too descriptive.

The ".125" and ".175" refers to the thickness of the bridge's baseplate. I'd go for the thinner .125" as typically trem equipped guitars (like RGs) have their necks set pretty low to the body. You should be able to determine exactly what you need by measuring where the saddles sit, height wise, right now.

This should help as well: http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files...fixed_dims.pdf.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 105 reviews
If you fill the body in with some material and install a fixed bridge, you'll still have a locking nut on the neck. Do yourself a favor and just block the bridge. Intonation will be perfectly adjustable, and you'll have the added benefit of double locks.

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
TremolNo is your friend.
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Lilarcor will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoff View Post
TremolNo is your friend.
Not in this case. The Edge Zero differs significantly from any other Floyd Rose-style trem out there so the Tremol-No won't fit.
You can always block the trem with some piece of wood, though, and have the best tuning stability you can get. The LACS did this on the RGA sixers Periphery got before getting their full customs.
Lilarcor is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
Hasta la vista, Baby

Emperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud ofEmperoff has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilarcor View Post
Not in this case. The Edge Zero differs significantly from any other Floyd Rose-style trem out there so the Tremol-No won't fit.
You can always block the trem with some piece of wood, though, and have the best tuning stability you can get. The LACS did this on the RGA sixers Periphery got before getting their full customs.
Didn't know that. +1 To the woodblock then
Emperoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Banned

aslsmm is just really niceaslsmm is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there are a lot of better guitars that are built with a fixed bridge. i know how it is when you wanna do a guitar project, but you should look at the option of selling again. IMO max is right (me and him don't agree all the time). Even living in never never land or where ever the .... your from, they would still have jp7 with a fixed bridge or a 7621 in near mint condition. it would even be easier to buy a loomis hard tail and thin the neck. Or sell the body and trem on the bay or here and get a custom built body. working on guitars is like working on cars, some times you can fix something with what you got but in alot of cases its cheaper to buy something different.

my vote, (assuming you love the 1527z neck) get a cutom body built.
aslsmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Call me Charlie :)

CloudAC is a jewel in the rough
Seems like a lot of work just to get that 'perfect tuning stability' Just like everyone else, I highly recommend just getting wood and blocking the trem.
CloudAC is offline   Reply With Quote