homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #26
In brightest day...

OrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This keeps looking better and better. Can't wait for the final product.
OrsusMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #27
ss.org Regular

JonnyDeath can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very clever build, I am impressed.
JonnyDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #28
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
The neck pocket looks like it could actually add a bit of stability to the mix, will be interesting to see the finished product. Make sure when you fret it you've got something supporting underneath the fretboard extension.

Also gotta ask, if you've got the ability to build a new neck for it, why not go all out and build a body too? Seems like a lot of time wasted on a rather terrible GIO body...
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #29
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Also gotta ask, if you've got the ability to build a new neck for it, why not go all out and build a body too? Seems like a lot of time wasted on a rather terrible GIO body...
This might just be the best question so far this year. and it's almoast over.
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #30
ss.org Regular

cerfew is a jewel in the rough
I didn't have any wood for the body, and besides, the body was already shaped. Lol. That's my only excuse-- it would've been a lot easier to build my own, kuz then I wouldn't have to deal with the pickguard and what not. But oh well.

1st coat of paint went on today-- I'll upload pics after I sand out the runs.
cerfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #31
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfew View Post
I didn't have any wood for the body, and besides, the body was already shaped. Lol. That's my only excuse-- it would've been a lot easier to build my own, kuz then I wouldn't have to deal with the pickguard and what not. But oh well.

1st coat of paint went on today-- I'll upload pics after I sand out the runs.
Can get wood for pretty cheap. I've tried to go this route before, ultimately I was much happier with the finished product when I built the body myself. While it's a good learning experience, so is starting from scratch
Unread 12-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #32
ss.org Regular

Ugh, my day just got ruined.

Was prepping to route out the pickup holes in the pickguard. Had everything perfect, template double-taped down, and started at it with the router. The god damn tape slipped for whatever reason and gouged a hole in the pickguard. Damn thing is wasted now. So I gotta dish out another 20 bucks to get a new one, which won't be here for almost a week. Totally screws up all my plans.

Unread 12-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #33
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So lame. Don't let that ruin your day, it probably isn't the first ...., and will not be the last.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #34
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
As I keep telling myself, at least it wasnt a finger...
Unread 12-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #35
ss.org Regular

I've already got a wooden template finished up to the point where I was, so when I get the new one, it'll come out quicker. So while this is a pain in the ass, and a huge inconveniance, the end result will be better. Oh well.
Unread 12-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #36
long ball larry!

adrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
this
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #37
Van
Banned

Van is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I ended up cutting off the very tip of my finger in woodshop class making guitars
still, at least it wasn't the whole finger but i'm still to scared to try my own build

to the OP, this guitar is looking amazing, I really like that angled corner on the fretboard
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfew View Post
Ugh, my day just got ruined.

Was prepping to route out the pickup holes in the pickguard. Had everything perfect, template double-taped down, and started at it with the router. The god damn tape slipped for whatever reason and gouged a hole in the pickguard. Damn thing is wasted now. So I gotta dish out another 20 bucks to get a new one, which won't be here for almost a week. Totally screws up all my plans.

That happened to me just this weekend while routing my Strat's pickguard for a humbucker in the bridge I was able to save it though because I am so used to routing I barely take out any material per pass, just take my sweet ole time with it. Can't even tell I messed up a little bit, so it all worked out... Don't let it get you down, make sure anytime you attach a template to something it's absolutely securely attached. I use the Scotch double sided tape, it's very thin, clear, and gets a great bond. I place the tape, place my template, then clamp it tightly so that the tape is sure to stick.
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #39
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
+12986192364
Power tools have a grudge against my family, my dad almost lost his finger through a table saw while he was building my cottage.
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #40
ss.org Regular

Haha, I've actually been POUNDING down my templates with the tape now, then firmly pressing on them on the side where the router will touch to make SURE they won't go anywhere.

Anyways, after working all day, here's my final template, next to the original. Part of why I was so ticked was because I had done a lot to it making it look good. The matte look was due to paint that I applied, and the edges were beveled painstakingly by hand. The next one will keep its shiny (i only made it matte because I routed out the first one on the wrong side, DOH) and I'm going to bevel the edges with a router bit.

Here is the guitar, after 1st coat of paint and intense wet/dry sanding with 400 grit. Turns out I did a crappy job filling the grain on the back, and the shellac didn't help much either. I sanded it down a TON, the second pic is the result. While it LOOKS like you can see the grain, I'm hoping that in reality it's perfectly flat and the appearance is just the result of deeper spots. I guess I won't know till I paint the second coat.

You can also see where I routed a little bit on the left side of the cavity to make room for the 7-string pickups.

Btw, that isn't bare wood showing-- its still got shellac over it.
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #41
ss.org Regular

Ahh, time for a much needed update. I've just about finished the neck, all's left to do is spray the poly over it. The body needs a coat of black and then poly. My friend Derek (who I'm building this for) is an awesome artist- he used electrical tape to "draw" an awesome design on the headstock and body. The headstock is finished- the body will be painted black, so his design will show gray.

Hope you enjoy it!
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #42
SS.org Regular

b7string is a jewel in the rough
I am really liking that headstock! How did you achieve that design on the face of it?

https://www.facebook.com/lastphilosopher

Daemoness Cimerian "Sleipnir"
b7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #43
ss.org Regular

The headstock was walnut- I stained it almost pure black, then coated it with spray shellac. My friend then used electrical tape cut into thin slices to create the design- we painted black, then pulled up the tape. It left a really cool effect around the edges- it almost looks like the wood itself is tape that is on the guitar. Haha.
Unread 01-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #44
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Looking great so far! I'm impressed.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #45
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That body is gonna be hella cool when it's painted. Sweet neck too.
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #46
ss.org Regular

Ahhh.. FInished! For the most part. Frets need some more leveling, and I somehow wired the neck pickup wrong (It's an ibanez pickup- I wasn't sure what the color translations were, and I couldn't find anything online). I want to say its currently wired single coil, but I'm not positive- it sounds pretty cool though xD

Enjoy.

All the colors and designs were chosen and/or done by my friend Derek.
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #47
has wood for you

holy nutsack. That came out incredible.
sibanez29 likes this.
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #48
In brightest day...

OrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to allOrsusMetal is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Great job man!
OrsusMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #49
ss.org Regular

skyeDCCCXX has a spectacular aura about
I started reading this from the beginning today and had no idea how this was going to turn out, but it looks awesome man. Great job!!!
skyeDCCCXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #50
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Wow that turned out really nice

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote