homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Should I losen or tighten my tross rod?

The action for me isn't cutting it. Low on frets 1-3, and higher on 12+. I want to reverse that should I tighten or loosen my truss rod? It's quite bothersome for the action to like that for my taste. Any suggestions?
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Tighten it about 1/2 a turn, and see where that gets you. I like to think of truss rods like trems. You're fighting string tension, so if it's pulling towards the strings, you need to tighten it to compensate.
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Djent ............

joaocunha is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitaristOfHell View Post
The action for me isn't cutting it. Low on frets 1-3, and higher on 12+. I want to reverse that should I tighten or loosen my truss rod? It's quite bothersome for the action to like that for my taste. Any suggestions?
Hey,

I'd provide photos of that. Action is governed by many different parameters - bridge adjustment, nut, truss rod or even a twisted neck.

Joćo

Nice deals with: zimbloth, Leon, slimegod, TMM, angus, 7 Dying Trees, OrsusMetal, iondestroyer1527, mgcasella, lobee, zomb13, Elysian, Toshiro, smith10210, tecniq, maxident213, code001, Galius, turmoil, highlordmugfug, Revan132, beneharris, MastrXploder, jordanky, Jstring, myampslouder, Michael T, Levi79, Aurochs34
joaocunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Right= Tight Left= Loose right?
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaocunha View Post
Hey,

I'd provide photos of that. Action is governed by many different parameters - bridge adjustment, nut, truss rod or even a twisted neck.

Joćo
If it's low at the nut though, and high at the 12th fret, it's almost certainly going to be taken care of by a truss rod adjustment.

Quote:
Right= Tight Left= Loose right?
Yessir
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
The Optimist Prime.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Now to get to work. I would get photo's but I have no camera.
Unread 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

guitar_player4_2_0 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I have always wondered about this, I was always scared to adjust my truss rod on my own. Didn't want to break it off in the neck or anything crazy like that. I thought if you had too much bow in the neck you should relieve tension, not add it. My action is higher at the 12+ as well, but I thought the truss rod pulled in the same direction as the strings.
guitar_player4_2_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
[10]

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_player4_2_0 View Post
but I thought the truss rod pulled in the same direction as the strings.
It doesn't. It pulls against them.

"Bow" in the neck is when it's bending backwards, so in that case, yes, you would loosen the truss rod. When it's bending towards the strings, it's called "relief," and if there's too much relief, you need to tighten the truss rod to fix it.
Unread 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
The Optimist Prime.

Do I do this adjustment up to tune, or do I detune?
Unread 11-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

jeremyb is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't go adjusting your truss rod willy nilly, you need to know what you're doing, it is easy if you know how and have the right tools, I use metric feeler gauges, you need .30mm and a capo, put a capo on the first fret and press a finger on the high e at the fret closest to the body (~18th usually) then measure the string spacing between the string and the 8th fret, you want it down to about .30mm, if its too high, loosen the string tension right off, and tighten the truss rod about a 1/8th turn, tune it back up and then measure again using same method, repeat until its right.
jeremyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
[10]

Quote:
Do I do this adjustment up to tune, or do I detune?
I adjust it up to tune. I've never really followed the whole, detune, turn 1/8th of a turn, let it sit overnight and see where it's at routine. I've been doing my own setups for 8 years, and I've yet to break one, and I've gotten positive results 100% of the time, so I don't really think it's as fragile as people make it out to be.
Unread 11-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
The Optimist Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
I adjust it up to tune. I've never really followed the whole, detune, turn 1/8th of a turn, let it sit overnight and see where it's at routine. I've been doing my own setups for 8 years, and I've yet to break one, and I've gotten positive results 100% of the time, so I don't really think it's as fragile as people make it out to be.
I've heard they're fragile as hell so I was extremely paranoid because my guitar has a set neck and cost me $400+ so screwing it up isn't an option. So I'll probably do a 1\8th turn tonight sometime before I go to bed and see where it's at in the morning and go from there.