homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
The kid

johnythehero is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well might as well

well some of you might have seen my post about a RR mirror pickgaurd. Well its not a jackson...its an epiphone from 1985 I am guessing. Haven't found any info on it really but anyways. I found it on craigslist not to long ago and decided to buy it as the neck was absolutly PERFECT but anyways it is a very abused guitar and I have finally decided to restore/replace/customize this guitar i.e. new tuners new pickups new paint job obviously and I was wondering what you guys would recomend to put on it don't ask about body or neck wood because No one really knows from some people guessing they believe its mahagany but anyways it also (unlike a Jackson RR) has a fender styled tremlo bridge that is original on it its a set neck 24.75" scale there are more picks below the higher quality pics are of someone who has taken care of it the lower quality ones are pics of the one I own (except for my old man in the headstock pic XD) but again what would you guys recomend to put on it?

p.s. I don't know if it matters but I'll be playing in C tuning

johnythehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If it was mine I'd do the following:

1) Replace the stock, cheap plastic nut with a either a GraphTech replacement or Wilkinson 6-Roller Nut. Most tuning issues on non-locking system equipped guitars are from nut binding.

2) Put some quality, non-locking tuners on such as those from Gotoh, Schaller, Hipshot, or Grover. Let the size of the existing holes and your budget guide you there. A set from any four of those companies will be stellar.

3) Replace the existing trem's sustain block with a high quality brass unit. The added mass will improve tone.

4) Replace the saddles on the bridge with some quality GraphTech replacement ones.

5) Replace the wiring harness in it's entirety. For pots go for some quality CTS ones, for caps go with quality Vishay/Sprague, for wire some 22AWG shielded will do well, and for a jack a quality Switchcraft would be suitable.

6) Re-shield the entire guitar, the pickguard, electronics cavity, and pickup cavity with a combination of shielding paint and copper foil. Remember to ground it all.

7) Replace the pickups to taste.

8) Clean the fretboard with some Naphtha, then oil it with some Mineral Oil.

9) Polish the frets with some steel wool, and file down the sides if they're poking out of the side of the fretboard.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
The kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
If it was mine I'd do the following:

1) Replace the stock, cheap plastic nut with a either a GraphTech replacement or Wilkinson 6-Roller Nut. Most tuning issues on non-locking system equipped guitars are from nut binding.

2) Put some quality, non-locking tuners on such as those from Gotoh, Schaller, Hipshot, or Grover. Let the size of the existing holes and your budget guide you there. A set from any four of those companies will be stellar.

3) Replace the existing trem's sustain block with a high quality brass unit. The added mass will improve tone.

4) Replace the saddles on the bridge with some quality GraphTech replacement ones.

5) Replace the wiring harness in it's entirety. For pots go for some quality CTS ones, for caps go with quality Vishay/Sprague, for wire some 22AWG shielded will do well, and for a jack a quality Switchcraft would be suitable.

6) Re-shield the entire guitar, the pickguard, electronics cavity, and pickup cavity with a combination of shielding paint and copper foil. Remember to ground it all.

7) Replace the pickups to taste.

8) Clean the fretboard with some Naphtha, then oil it with some Mineral Oil.

9) Polish the frets with some steel wool, and file down the sides if they're poking out of the side of the fretboard.
where could I get these objects?

"fjwsr023354r3rtnwefg34jwr=23rj23f=23rjgmw3r=23rjv m sxdjdfify9rtyjwejwerif"-Randy
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnythehero View Post
where could I get these objects?
Guitar Parts | Bass Guitar Parts | Amp Parts | AllParts.com
STEWMAC.COM : Guitar, Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Free Information
Guitar Parts & Wiring Diagrams-FREE Shipping Over $49
Guitar Parts Depot by GPDUSA.COM
http://www.wdmusic.com/

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
The kid

thanks this cost more money then expected but i plan onn keeping this guitar for a while haha

"fjwsr023354r3rtnwefg34jwr=23rj23f=23rjgmw3r=23rjv m sxdjdfify9rtyjwejwerif"-Randy
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
thanks this cost more money then expected but i plan onn keeping this guitar for a while haha
The best thing to do, if you're short on cash, is to do this in stages and over a period of time.

Clean the guitar up, and set it up to your liking. From there, the two things I'd do first that are pretty cheap are replacing the nut and the electronics (minus pickups). It should cost around $30 and you'll notice the guitar will sound and stay in tune better.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
The kid

Quote:
The best thing to do, if you're short on cash, is to do this in stages and over a period of time.

Clean the guitar up, and set it up to your liking. From there, the two things I'd do first that are pretty cheap are replacing the nut and the electronics (minus pickups). It should cost around $30 and you'll notice the guitar will sound and stay in tune better.
thanks again I'll post pics when I am completely down which is probably custom paint job and some inlay stuff done haha

Unread 11-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
i would change the nut and tuners. then i would block the trem with wood. the clean and polish frets. anything else would come after these mods and i had played it for a while.
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
The kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymellis View Post
i would change the nut and tuners. then i would block the trem with wood. the clean and polish frets. anything else would come after these mods and i had played it for a while.
the wood block is uneeded as its non floating plus i like messing with trems a little haha

Unread 11-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
plus i like messing with trems a little haha
Good man.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
The kid

I almost forgot some questions
1.me being a newb into exact body wood stuff I know more stuff than alot my age (looking at maybe becoming a luthier) how can you tell what the body wood is because ther is NO info on this guitar at all

2. Is there any way to fix the wings on the v to around normal or is it always gonna have decent sized chunks missing?

Unread 11-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
I almost forgot some questions
1.me being a newb into exact body wood stuff I know more stuff than alot my age (looking at maybe becoming a luthier) how can you tell what the body wood is because ther is NO info on this guitar at all

2. Is there any way to fix the wings on the v to around normal or is it always gonna have decent sized chunks missing?
The only way to determine wood 100% is to get it chemical tested. Though, you can always sand away some and look at the grain, which will give you a good idea of what it could be. Though, have you tried e-mailing either Gibson or Epiphone? They may be able to get you some info.

What do you mean by "fix the wings"? Can you elaborate?

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
The kid

Quote:
The only way to determine wood 100% is to get it chemical tested. Though, you can always sand away some and look at the grain, which will give you a good idea of what it could be. Though, have you tried e-mailing either Gibson or Epiphone? They may be able to get you some info.

What do you mean by "fix the wings"? Can you elaborate?
the wings have been abused and I kind of want to get the fin back to original instead of the really chiped wing where its been banged up a lot

and yes the guy I got it from has been emailing gibson and epiphone for almost a year trying to figure out what it is and they have no idea what it is but they do know its authentic and before I got it I looked all the info I could and theres nothing about it out there