homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Spalted maple finishing question - gloss or satin?

OK, fellas (and ladies!): For the Strictly 7 build I've ordered, I keep going back and forth on the finish. It's a black painted body with a spalted maple top. I've tentatively selected a gloss finish, because that's mostly what I've seen on that type of wood, and I've seen others say that it makes the figuring "pop" more. But I know a lot of people swear by oil or satin finishes for natural wood. So, any opinions on which way I should go? If you're wondering what I want, I definitely want the figuring to "pop," and I want it to look cool of course.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
high gloss

and you can't oil finish a spalt top.
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'd go with a medium gloss.

Kinda like this:

I think that going high gloss on natural woods adds an effect that makes it look like the finish is super thick, and somewhat "plasticy". Though, perhaps that's just me.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
I'd go with a medium gloss.

I think that going high gloss on natural woods adds an effect that makes it look like the finish is super thick, and somewhat "plasticy". Though, perhaps that's just me.
Yeah, I pretty much have the choice of satin or gloss. I assume the gloss is high gloss, and the satin does have some gloss to it, and might be like the medium gloss like you're talking about. I know what you're saying though, that's why I'm kind of on the fence. I'm trying to find an example online of a satin finish on a spalt top (where it's actually identified as such) but I'm having trouble. The majority of them I'm finding (esp Rico Jrs) are high gloss (which looks cool, I just want something to compare it to).

EDIT: Just checked the Carvin site. They list the different top woods and what the recommended finish is (i.e. Koa looks good oiled, satin, or gloss). They said spalted maple looks better gloss. Warmoth's site doesn't really specify.
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

bjjman will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here's the closest to a satin finish I could find online
Dean Exotica Spalt Maple Acoustic Electric Guitar

I'd definitely recommend the gloss though. As you've seen with the Rico Jr's it looks fantastic!
bjjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #6
Extended Ranger

Here's an N4 with a non-gloss finish. Not really feeling this one. Doesn't pop at all.

Unread 05-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjman View Post
Here's the closest to a satin finish I could find online
Dean Exotica Spalt Maple Acoustic Electric Guitar

I'd definitely recommend the gloss though. As you've seen with the Rico Jr's it looks fantastic!
Dang, that acoustic electric looks killer! I know it's a Dean, but that's an awesome price for that.
Anyway, I'm kind of thinking the gloss would be the way to go. Esp since the back will be black, which would look best in gloss.
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
kvlt

7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gloss all the way.

Suhr actually finishes some of their spalted guitars. I do not see how, or atleast they have to charge a(nother) fortune for a stained spalt guitar. Spalt REALLY likes to suck up stain and gloss coats, and a lot of builders won't use spalt without the body being bound for stability.
7deadlysins666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7deadlysins666 View Post
Gloss all the way.

Suhr actually finishes some of their spalted guitars. I do not see how, or atleast they have to charge a(nother) fortune for a stained spalt guitar. Spalt REALLY likes to suck up stain and gloss coats, and a lot of builders won't use spalt without the body being bound for stability.
You mean stained finishes? Yeah, I heard that they're not really stained, but a translucent spray coat. Like a tinted gloss coat. Which would make more sense. I heard staining spalt was damn near impossible as well.
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
In misery we rest

Sullen is a jewel in the rough
Gloss FTW with a black burst beautiful!!!

http://thesentinelsoftime.club.fr/Images/Virgin%20Black%20Sombre%20romantic.jpgTo suffer in silence for all eternity...
Sullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Phlegethon is a jewel in the rough
I'd go semi gloss if I could . . . would need some sort of shine in order to get the maple to dance in the light but IMO full gloss and spalted maple tops looks horrifically cheap when I see them in guitar shops

Contributing writer for guitars canada: www.guitarscanada.com

Guitar lessons for the Hamilton region in southern ontario in the comfort of your home, contact me via PM or the following email address: odetoanote@gmail.com

Phlegethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
I'd go semi gloss if I could . . . would need some sort of shine in order to get the maple to dance in the light but IMO full gloss and spalted maple tops looks horrifically cheap when I see them in guitar shops
Well, I'll have to ask Jim. There's not really a "semi" gloss option, I don't think. Jim said his painter could do satin or gloss. The satin is not matte (which would look terrible) but not as glossy as a gloss finish. The gloss is actually more expensive, because of the amount of polishing required. And I know what you mean about them looking cheap with a thick gloss. But, I think that may have more to do with the builder than the type of finish itself. e.g. Rico Jrs with high gloss spalt finishes look absolutely stunning, but there are others that look plastic. I still can't really decide, unfortunately. I really want to see a close up of a satin finished spalt, but there are very few out there (which makes me lean toward gloss, just based on the numbers).
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

yacker is just really niceyacker is just really nice
This one looks pretty satin to me.

yacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
In misery we rest

Sullen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7deadlysins666 View Post
Gloss all the way.

http://www.onyxforgeguitars.com/imag...rom%20butt.jpg

I don't know but I like how that gloss finish looks in this guitar

http://thesentinelsoftime.club.fr/Images/Virgin%20Black%20Sombre%20romantic.jpgTo suffer in silence for all eternity...
Sullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Fred is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Well, I'll have to ask Jim. There's not really a "semi" gloss option, I don't think. Jim said his painter could do satin or gloss. The satin is not matte (which would look terrible) but not as glossy as a gloss finish.
While I appreciate it's not quite the same thing, I've worked in a paint shop for a fair while selling a lot of different wall, furniture, floor and other such varnishes, and in my experience you might as well treat "semi-gloss", "satin" and other such variations on a theme as referring to the same kind of finish. Sure, there's going to be slight differences between the sheen levels of the finishes in the same way there's slight differences between the sheen levels of eggshell, depending on the manufacturer. But in general terms they all mean the same thing - halfway between matt and gloss.

And... I'd go for gloss. Some guitars look better with a mid-sheen finish (haha, there you go; another variation I'd forgotten about!) but I'd much rather see a spalt top protected by a nice layer of gloss. Not to mention that shiny normally = better, haha.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #16
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
While I appreciate it's not quite the same thing, I've worked in a paint shop for a fair while selling a lot of different wall, furniture, floor and other such varnishes, and in my experience you might as well treat "semi-gloss", "satin" and other such variations on a theme as referring to the same kind of finish. Sure, there's going to be slight differences between the sheen levels of the finishes in the same way there's slight differences between the sheen levels of eggshell, depending on the manufacturer. But in general terms they all mean the same thing - halfway between matt and gloss.

And... I'd go for gloss. Some guitars look better with a mid-sheen finish (haha, there you go; another variation I'd forgotten about!) but I'd much rather see a spalt top protected by a nice layer of gloss. Not to mention that shiny normally = better, haha.
OK, cool, thanks for the insight. I'm generally leaning toward the gloss, but then I get this burst of uncertainty, and start looking at the satin again. On the strictly7.com in-stock page there are a whole bunch of satins, which look cool, but it's still true that the vast majority of spalts are glossed. Koa, walnut, etc. would be a different story, but you just don't see too many satin spalts.