homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Finish ideas for a maple fretboard

I'm usually not keen on maple fretboards, but for a build I'm planning, it's 99.999999% likely the way I'll go. I could just go with a lacquer finish, but I'd really prefer the "bare wood" feel. Can I get away with a very minimal coating of lacquer? Any suggested lacquers? I'm leaning towards Behlen's Rock Hard Table Varnish.

How about lacquer over epoxy?

If I'm going with a film, then something like the Thor Epoxy finish would be good. I've already experimented with multiple coats of epoxy and sanding down to 600 grit, and I like the feel, but how's the protection? If I did want to do something like the Thor Guitar Labs epoxy finish, what kinds would give sufficiently high build without being too soft?

Any other recommendations?

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i dont know about the fretboard but.

"The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar? "

whichever sounds and feels the best, its a guitar not a suspension bridge about to survive a hurricane.
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Ibanez fanboi

Wi77iam is a glorious beacon of lightWi77iam is a glorious beacon of lightWi77iam is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
That's his signature. Tis a joke.
Wi77iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi77iam View Post
That's his signature. Tis a joke.
thats my answer...tis a joke
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
7-string hack

Mr Incredible will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The new Charvel production models use gunstock oil.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...yle201rev2.pdf

Doesn't Carvin use tung oil?

LTD H-207 - Gotoh locking tuners, looking for pickups
Charvel San Dimas & SoCal in Slime Green
Ibanez SZ520
- PAF Joe (n), Sreamin' Demon (b), Grover mini locking tuners, TonePros locking studs
Ibanez SZ320 - Sperzel locking tuners
LTD GL-600V - Fat Cat (n), Screamin' Demon (b), Sperzel locking tuners
Hohner G3T

Jet City 20H
Marshall DSL 100 with JJ Electronic KT77s and ECC 83Ss
VHT Fat Bottom 4x12 cabinet
Line 6 Spider III 15 W combo
Mr Incredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
ss.org irregular

AthenaInlay is a jewel in the rough
I've seen a lot of people do nice work with Tru-oil. On OLF (luthier's forum) I read about a guy who was doing some tests. His results:

"I did just finish a month long experiment testing various finishes on maple fretboards. The best results occurred with wipe on finishes.....Tru-oil and Minwax gloss urethane both achieved a very nice, smooth sealed surface. Both are harder than shellac. The Minwax gloss is very easy to apply and can be flattened with 0000 steel wool or highly polished with compound.

Minwax wipe-on has my vote so far with maple. It's easy and durable. I haven't tried it on darker woods but this is my clear choice for lighter woods."

...Athena
AthenaInlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaInlay View Post
... I read about a guy who was doing some tests ...
Thanks!

BTW, phenomenal work. This build is "only" a travel guitar, so it will have a blank board.

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote