homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Rokkaholic is just really niceRokkaholic is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Project Purple RG build

Alright after lurking for the most part and seeing awesome build threads, I decided to embark on a Purple RG build. Since I didn't like anything Ibanez had to offer in my price range, I decided to give it a go. This is like a father-son project my father and I are doing. Here is how the build is going so far. This is my first build so suggestions are welcome. I was lucky enough that the military base near me had all the woodworking machines to use for a super-cheap hourly rate.
Anyways, enough talk more pics!

Some nice flame maple

Used the shape from my RG for the cutout

Working on the contour

After Day 1 at shop

Back at the shop...

...come home with this

Doing a bit of home-work (really really bad pun I know)...

After Day 3

A bit of sanding to clean it up...

And showing the open spots where we are going to use wood filler

Still have to some fine sanding on the inside, neck pocket, and contour then we wait for the components.

So yeah thats it so far. We are not going to build the neck as this is just out first build. On that note, I have not heard back from Ernie from ET Guitars, has anybody else? Should I check with Jayden Rose as well?
Alejandro Moreno likes this.
Rokkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
This looks very cool. Cant wait to see it finished
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyalligator View Post
This looks very cool. Cant wait to see it finished
Thanks. I am super stoked. Only thing that is holding up the process a bit is selling my Blackstar HT-5 to buy the pickups and bridge. I don't want to sell it but I can't take it to college with me
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

FearFactoryDBCR has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really digging this man, can't wait for the turnout ;D
FearFactoryDBCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

matttttYCE is a jewel in the rough
That's lookin REALLY nice! Exactly what I want to do...well with spalted maple and left handed haha. Are you going to do any contour on the top? Like an arm rest position or no?

Get brutal
matttttYCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttttYCE View Post
That's lookin REALLY nice! Exactly what I want to do...well with spalted maple and left handed haha. Are you going to do any contour on the top? Like an arm rest position or no?
I was, but then realized that I don't have any experience with carving or anything and I don't want to mess up the veneer if I do screw up. I am still working on the inside contour and shaping as that one was more important to me anyways. Yeah this has been really fun. If you have the time and money go for it. Later on I hope to build a natural explorer with spalt top and neck through.
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The world needs more purple RGs. Thank you for doing your part to save the world.
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkaholic View Post
I was, but then realized that I don't have any experience with carving or anything and I don't want to mess up the veneer if I do screw up. I am still working on the inside contour and shaping as that one was more important to me anyways. Yeah this has been really fun. If you have the time and money go for it. Later on I hope to build a natural explorer with spalt top and neck through.

That'd be pretty sweet . Also, from your first post, is Jaden Rose still doing custom necks/bodies? On their site, they don't have any of the specs or details listed anymore... or am I missing something?

Oh and I just noticed you're from Phoenix! That's awesome. What military base are you going to that you can use their woodworking machines for cheap hourly rate? And would anyone (like me) be able to go there and use them as well?

Get brutal
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
That'd be pretty sweet . Also, from your first post, is Jaden Rose still doing custom necks/bodies? On their site, they don't have any of the specs or details listed anymore... or am I missing something?

Oh and I just noticed you're from Phoenix! That's awesome. What military base are you going to that you can use their woodworking machines for cheap hourly rate? And would anyone (like me) be able to go there and use them as well?
I checked their website and shot them an email because I didn't see it on there but I am searching still. And I went to Luke Air Force Base. I don't know about anybody going but both my parents were military so we get in. They only charge $2.50 an hour and they have all the machines you need.
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Fogdiver

Malacoda is just really niceMalacoda is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customisbetter View Post
The world needs more purple RGs. Thank you for doing your part to save the world.
Oh it's so true

Existential Animals - instrumental tech-death FFO Gorod, The Faceless, Animals as Leaders, Blotted Science, etc.

Name-your-price downloads at existentialanimals.bandcamp.com. New EP out now!
Malacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkaholic View Post
I checked their website and shot them an email because I didn't see it on there but I am searching still. And I went to Luke Air Force Base. I don't know about anybody going but both my parents were military so we get in. They only charge $2.50 an hour and they have all the machines you need.
Well that's really freakin cool. My cousins husband was at Luke for a good while, I believe (now retired). I wonder if I talked to him, if he could get me in. I'll have to give it a shot once I get all the supplies together.

Oh and do let us know if you hear back from Jaden Rose. I want to say last time I actually saw their prices that they were cheaper than ET Guitars, but they might not be anymore. And considering ET is in Australia it might cost more with shipping, etc. I'd say it kinda depends on what you want, because I recall Jaden Rose having wayyyy more options.

Get brutal
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Well that's really freakin cool. My cousins husband was at Luke for a good while, I believe (now retired). I wonder if I talked to him, if he could get me in. I'll have to give it a shot once I get all the supplies together.

Oh and do let us know if you hear back from Jaden Rose. I want to say last time I actually saw their prices that they were cheaper than ET Guitars, but they might not be anymore. And considering ET is in Australia it might cost more with shipping, etc. I'd say it kinda depends on what you want, because I recall Jaden Rose having wayyyy more options.
Yeah I'll notify you if I get a hold of Jayden. Its really annoying trying to find a neck builder. I contacted Ernie a long time ago when I was just thinking about it and never followed through. Now I can't get a hold of him. Same with Jayden. I also shot an email to Sims and Elysian on this forum if they would as I know that they did bodies but I wasn't sure if they did necks. Also we just ordered some parts today so I will update you guys when I get them and when I finish the fine sanding

EDIT: Also if anybody out there does or knows somebody/a company custom Ibanez necks please let me know. Thanks
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #13
Kahler Abuser

Ironbird is a jewel in the rough
You do amazing work, this is going to come out great!

Leave no stone unturned until I'm done.
Ironbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
could i suggest watching your local craigslist for a beat ibanez 7. i got my 7621 for something like 80 bux and its only got 3 chips out of the paint!
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Sweet this shall look great
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Well after a disheartening search and Sims being a bit too much for my budget (not including the waiting period ). I really like their single-cuts and I was hoping to order from them, but as for now they are plan B. I recently discovered that their is a custom guitar shop nearby called Atomic Custom Guitars within a few miles so I am going to pop in Thursday and hopefully get a quote and check out their business and such. Also most of the hardware should be in tomorrow or Thursday so I can get this thing going.
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Yay new stuff day!

Hipshot bridge (really nice, I like it)

Guts

More guts

Speed knob (from 0-11 )

Hipshot tuners

All right well after visiting Atomic Custom Guitars, it looks like I will be getting my neck from them. Tomorrow, my father and I will finish our fine sanding then take it to the guys at ACG and talk prices and specs. Pretty cool shop they have, really looking forward to tomorrow.

Not sure on pickups yet. I am thinking about the Crunch Lab and Liquid Fire. As far as electronics, just one volume knob and a five-way switch. I was thinking about doing split coil stuff, but I don't like single coils enough and don't want to deal with the extra wiring. The neck will ideally be a 3/5 piece maple and ebony fingerboard with like a DNA inlay.
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Never knew about Atomic Custom Guitars! I guess I need to get out more haha. I'm going to have to get over there once I get my build started. Are you able to relay prices to me/us for the neck you'll be getting from them? Also, do you know if they will do left handed necks?

And KUDOS on the choice of simplified electronics! I love the way one volume and a switch looks on guitars, especially RGs! If it were me, I'd go one push/pull volume (for switching between the two pups) and a killswitch, but I'm weird, I know.

Get brutal
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:12 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Never knew about Atomic Custom Guitars! I guess I need to get out more haha. I'm going to have to get over there once I get my build started. Are you able to relay prices to me/us for the neck you'll be getting from them? Also, do you know if they will do left handed necks?

And KUDOS on the choice of simplified electronics! I love the way one volume and a switch looks on guitars, especially RGs! If it were me, I'd go one push/pull volume (for switching between the two pups) and a killswitch, but I'm weird, I know.
Holy crap I am so happy that I visited them. The guy I talked to, Tim was awesome, he took me into their woodshop and showed me their materials and stuff. He gave my father and I so many tips, from paint shops to tools, totally awesome guy. I think he said he has been doing guitars for 20 or so years. I am going on Tuesday to spec it out, but for as for prices, he told me about $350 for the standard options. One helpful tip if you are going to order a neck from them, DO NOT carve out the neck pocket yourself. Tim said he would do the neck pocket for us so that it would be a perfect match.

The neck itself will be a three piece neck made from maple and a purplehart skunk stripe and from this new(ish?) material called carbonized maple for the fingerboard. It looks like a dark rosewood, has the bright qualities of ebony and maple, and is super dense which makes it nearly waterproof. When he soaked a sample piece, the water didn't penetrate. The stuff is really neat, if you know how charcoal is made, its a similar process for carbonized maple. 24 frets and inlays will be a surprise. I have a really cool idea for the inlay so I am really looking forward to that.
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Another small update:

Shes dirty again...

...but still in good shape

Yeah so the shaping is done and next thing up is the routing but that is going to wait until the neck is all figured out on Tuesday. In the mean time, we will be playing around with some dyes to get the purple I'm going for.
Unread 03-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #21
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
looks really nice so far
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
looks really nice so far
That really means something to me from somebody who really knows what they are doing. Your guitars rock
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

GorillaSalsa is a jewel in the rough
I actually ordered a Purple-ish RG-ish guitar recently myself. We'll see how the two compare, I guess!

(yours will win.)
GorillaSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #24
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This guitar = pure win
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #25
ss.org Regular

george galatis has a spectacular aura about
mmmmiammy! fixed brigde ftw!

keep it up!

http://www.myspace.com/giomilko

Θρήνος βαρύς επέφτει
george galatis is offline   Reply With Quote