homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Live Performance & Stage Sound
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Live Performance & Stage Sound Discussion for playing out and all things stage related.. Promote your band here as well.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Guitar Comrade

HammerAndSickle is just really niceHammerAndSickle is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My first real video... comments please!

So, I'm a pretty shy guy when it comes to my playing. I play live sometimes, but its only ever been for school events and I get by under the assumption that no one in the audience knows anything about music anyway I don't really have nerve problems, so much as I freak myself out on the thought that what I'm playing, no one really wants to hear. So the only recorded output I have are the band recordings my friend and I made, and my parent's videotapes of my school concerts

I finally decided to make something, though. A girl who goes to my school added me on facebook, and we got to talking because she's into the same music as me (A girl who likes Vai?! ). Apparently her boyfriend plays too, and we were all talking about Guthrie Govan when the question comes... "can you sweep?"

This one gets to me. Because it means that someone is knowledgeable enough about guitar to appreciate technique, but not knowledgeable enough to see beyond the "shred!" stage of impressive-ness. So either I play tastelessly and impress them or play what I like and they're usually not impressed...

Also, sweeping is one of the areas which I'm least confident in. Because I'm not the cleanest or fastest sweep-er in existence. I write complex arpeggio sequences that I can't play (but my friend forces me to play them at speed anyway... ). I think of myself more as a musician than a guitar player anyway. But I put this little improvised session together to show her an example of how I play.

So, any comments on my playing, tone, or criticism of how to improve would be appreciated. Just wanted to know what you guys think, because I don't have much around here to gauge how good I am.
HammerAndSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Not saying I can do much better, but that was horribly sloppy.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Loathes emulation...

CynicEidolon is just really niceCynicEidolon is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Work on doing it with a click track. And try less gain so you aren't covering up your mistakes.

My faith is sound and sound is my faith.

BREA http://www.breaband.com
Post-metal/Ambient/Stoner-Rock
(Isis, Jesu, Mastodon, Intronaut, Textures, Rosetta)

Artisan Studio
www.facebook.com/artisanstudio
CynicEidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

thesimo is just really nicethesimo is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
well..

The tone is bad, it could be the camera ,but you have way too many highs, it sounds raspy and it hurts my ears. If u did a full strum of all the strings it would be completely horrid. when what you want is a full strum to unleash the most brutal gurgling tone ever. So i guess reduce the gain a little and EQ it and keep the presence down!

The playing.. well ... you knew some quite difficult 3 string sweeps that were executed kinda well but most of it was scratchyness/pick noise. Work on muting accurately when your sweeping - I dont think your technique of having an un-anchored picking hand is helping much there , I find having my pinky anchored next to the vol knob helps smooth out sweeping as you can use the spongy part of your palm to mute.

But the major gripe was the bending, u need to start from scratch there. Nearly all of them were off. Get a tuner out, find a note on a string, and a harmonising one 2 or so frets lower. and see what both notes say on the tuner. Then as u bend from the lower to the higher one watch the tuner and you will see when youve bent to the note correctly. Then work on your vibrato at the height of the bend so you have an in-tune vibrato even at that high tension.

My final point is tempo. It sounds like your racing to get the notes out as fast as possible, get a guitar pro tab of the songs your using, turn on the metronome and stick to it. so you can play consistently

Also for practicing kill the verb/delay, you want to hear every mistake.
thesimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself

work on tone and keep practice
overall it was not so bad, we have a lot more worse Youtube players who think that they almost second Malmsteen, so keep practice and you will be better during time for sure
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
I like stuff

sol niger 333 has much to be proud ofsol niger 333 has much to be proud ofsol niger 333 has much to be proud ofsol niger 333 has much to be proud ofsol niger 333 has much to be proud ofsol niger 333 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ouch I'm not a fan of shredding really anyway. Too much gain/top end and sloppy playing. If ya cant keep away from the strings you aint playin tape em up dude. Also play to a metronome or over a recorded riff or at least tap your foot while you play if you ever want some form to your playing (lead included) Keep at it though you are young. Lots to learn and learning is fun.
sol niger 333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

klutvott is a jewel in the rough
The harmonic at 4:22 was good. You need to slow things down quite a bit. Playing things clean comes before speed. Also work on your intonation, bending and vibrato. Use a metronome.
klutvott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
keep it up dude, keep practicing

And congrats for posting a video on youtube, it takes guts
hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Guitar Comrade

HammerAndSickle is just really niceHammerAndSickle is just really nice
Part of the tone issues might be the camera microphone: it sounds much bassier and fuller in here, even without the reverb and delay. I didn't eq the amp for recording at all, I used the same settings I always play with and just hit record. Overall I like my tone a lot, so that's my only guess.

The rhythmic aspect, I'm not really sure about that. All of this is really just improv, stringing licks together. There's no "click track of songs I'm using" to download, or really a metronome or anything because it's not a song. In context the licks are (usually ;P) rhythmically on, when I'm playing with the other guitarist or musicians. It just seems like its off because the whole video is a collection of licks rather than a cohesive "solo". Plus they're all just licks I wrote or play, except the little final product tapping I butcher in there :P

I will work on the bends, though. This video might be an outlier because they're usually much better (and I practice with the tremol-no locked down, so the tension is different). But I have times sometimes (like in the video) where they're absolutely ugh-worthy.
HammerAndSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
Banned

Joeywilson is a jewel in the rough
cool stuff man, but if you dont mind this is just what i think you should do if you are really trying to impress these people:

be yourself. if your more a soul guy and not a shredder then why hide that? guthrie govan is fast but thats the least impressive thing about his playing i think. and he is one of my favorite guitarists. If you are trying to impress someone why wouldn't you play what you are comfortable with? they'll either think "okay, well he doesnt sweep or play at 10 billion bpms. but he can still play guitar good!" or "he sucks because he doesnt shred". if they think the later of the two, then they are closed minded and arn't worth a second of your time.

but if you are gonna go the "meedlymeedlyWHOOOOOO" alley these are
some things that i think everyone should actually do before actually learning how to sweep pick [these might be something that only applied to me, i dont know]:

-learn how to alternate pick the arppegio first. it makes actually sweeping a breeze

-dont play faster than you can pick [applies to everything, i noticed your hand stuttering

-turn down the gain, arpeggios sound best when you can hear each note in the sweep. not a big wall of gain.

-dont write above your ability.

-also, always practice with a metronome. i dont mean all the time but when you are intent on learning something always have a metronome in the room, as soon as i started doing this my playing got a lot better and tighter a lot quicker.

thats my 2 cents....okay, like 2 bucks but whatever.

Last edited by Joeywilson; 07-09-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typos make me look really dumb
Joeywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 06:37 AM   #11
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Hey buddy, good effort man.

I'm seeing comments saying it was sloppy but I think that its just you dialing too much gain in and turning the highs and mids up.

I think the girl would have fell for it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallisuk View Post
cool stuff man, but if you dont mind this is just what i think you should do if you are really trying to impress these people:

be yourself. if your more a soul guy and not a shredder then why hide that? guthrie govan is fast but thats the least impressive thing about his playing i think. and he is one of my favorite guitarists. If you are trying to impress someone why wouldn't you play what you are comfortable with? they'll either think "okay, well he doesnt sweep or play at 10 billion bpms. but he can still play guitar good!" or "he sucks because he doesnt shred". if they think the later of the two, then they are closed minded and arn't worth a second of your time.

but if you are gonna go the "meedlymeedlyWHOOOOOO" alley these are
some things that i think everyone should actually do before actually learning how to sweep pick [these might be something that only applied to me, i dont know]:

-learn how to alternate pick the arppegio first. it makes actually sweeping a breeze

-dont play faster than you can pick [applies to everything, i noticed your hand stuttering

-turn down the gain, arpeggios sound best when you can hear each note in the sweep. not a big wall of gain.

-dont write above your ability.

-also, always practice with a metronome. i dont mean all the time but when you are intent on learning something always have a metronome in the room, as soon as i started doing this my playing got a lot better and tighter a lot quicker.

thats my 2 cents....okay, like 2 bucks but whatever.
yeah, mine was 2 cents, yours...well, does he have change for a 50?

Shawn Lane said trying to play faster than you can actually works...although I've never implimented such a theory...

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel

Last edited by CrushingAnvil; 07-29-2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
You have to love this forum, very constructive reviews of your playing including the bad and how to fix it.

Not into shred but the only advice I can give is to take what the others have said and practice till you feel better. This will not only help what your trying to do but also improve you as a player.

Once you feel confident that you have it, re record and show us you new chops!
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote