homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Live Performance & Stage Sound
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Live Performance & Stage Sound Discussion for playing out and all things stage related.. Promote your band here as well.

Like Tree759Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
The dont's of live performance

We've all seen enough bands to comment, so what are in your opinions the things that kill a band off at a live enviroment? Basically, a list of things which are just absolute no's
Evergrey likes this.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Carry your 1000 pedals in their own separate boxes and then plug them up for your 1/2 set opening for three bands.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
.... Your Face!

NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.NegaTiveXero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Standing there looking at the fretboard the WHOLE show.

Like wise, not getting into the music at all, the audience sometimes needs to see energy to get moving.

Singers/guitarists turning away from the crowd for no reason. Especially during solos.
NegaTiveXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Tuning instruments with the sound on. Even worse is two people tuning to each other with the sound on. This is summarised by:

Bands not having a tuning pedal.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
Desk Magnetic

Lozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
One of my pet hates on smaller shows is guitarists/singers that insist on getting down on the floor with the crowd. It always comes off as a bit desperate, if your music/stageshow isn't connecting with them then you need to re-think things.

Don't make personal jokes with your mates in the crowd, there's other people in the audience as well.

If there's technical issues, for gods sake someone else in the band cover it. An impromptu solo/jam/joke/dance routine is all it takes. (and don't call your audience names to cover it )
MontaraMike likes this.
Lozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
singers with their mic free hand in their pocket. might sound daft but it shows disinterest
Lava Joe, patata and MontaraMike like this.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
I poop in shoes.

nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Band members getting totally obliterated prior to hitting the stage. Drugs and alcohol in moderation may help you get up there, but go too far and you're gonna play like crap (even though you hear yourself as being the next guitar god).

I am the mask you wear.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
it's a british thing

halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
being mikael akerfeldt.

stunning music, stellar vocals, drab to watch.

H

http://www.talanas.org
death metal's gentlemen
halsinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
I poop in shoes.

nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
And let's not forget abouta band that just stands there. FRIGGIN' DO SOMETHING!!! Hear that Dream THeater?

I am the mask you wear.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
it's a british thing

halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.halsinden is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
One of my pet hates on smaller shows is guitarists/singers that insist on getting down on the floor with the crowd.
um...

shit.

H

death metal's gentlemen
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsinden View Post
being mikael akerfeldt.

H
Bullshit.

Opeth rules live. In every way.

Now I lay me down to sleep
Blah, blah, blah my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
I'll go to hell for heaven's sake
Makelele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
it's a british thing

spitting.

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makelele View Post
Bullshit.

Opeth rules live. In every way.

like i say man; i love their music and almost everything about them, i was engaged, i just didn’t enjoy watching them.

this was overall several sittings a few years ago, mind. he may have pulled something out the bag since then, but being glued to a mic stand just doesn’t do it for me.

H

frontmen who apologise / explain / are overwhelmingly negative.

“i know we’re shit, but, my postman kicked me this morning and that’s why i didn’t hit that note in…”

just get on with it, nobody’s interested in reasons or excuses for pulling punches.

H

death metal's gentlemen

Last edited by halsinden; 11-09-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
Desk Magnetic

Lozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud ofLozek has much to be proud of
While we're on that one, DON'T forget to entertain your audience. Unless you're Dream Theater/Steve Vai etc, your audience is not entirely made up of musicians and they really don't care if you're playing in a 'Mixolydian half gypsy nunchuck' scale. Entertain them for the sake of all that is carbon based.
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #14
Desk Magnetic

Oooooh ooooh oooooh, another one. Don't, please please don't, dedicate the next song to your girlfriend. No-one else sees the beauty in your saggy, mole ridden walrus of an attempt at human likeness. Just don't. really.
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #15
it's a british thing

Quote:
Oooooh ooooh oooooh, another one. Don't, please please don't, dedicate the next song to your girlfriend. No-one else sees the beauty in your saggy, mole ridden walrus of an attempt at human likeness. Just don't. really.
or perhaps as a second to that - overly long diatribes between nearly each & every song, a la phil anselmo / axl rose.

and perhaps then once actually off the stage (and sometimes on) - laypeople such as bono genuinely postulating on politics as if he’s in a position to be revered. it’s an abuse of profile, IMO.

H

death metal's gentlemen
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #16
Desk Magnetic

Quote:
or perhaps as a second to that - overly long diatribes between nearly each & every song, a la phil anselmo / axl rose.

H
And also conversely, long silences/technical fiddling between songs.
TunaCan and Pat Olson like this.
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
it's a british thing

Quote:
technical fiddling between songs.

necrophagist on a violin? how would that be a good filler? you’re weird.

H
JRL, cjms1997, iamjosan and 2 others like this.

death metal's gentlemen
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
Desk Magnetic

Quote:
necrophagist on a violin? how would that be a good filler? you’re weird.

H
'If by technical, I mean........' etc etc
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
Medicine Chief/RHLC©

Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
You know what I hate?
Singers who get all pissed off at people who aren't standing right up front in their face. Now it's one thing to say "I wanna see some movement!" or "Hey, lets all get up and mosh!" But when they go up and be a complete ASSHOLE about it, it's just ....ing stupid. For example: "Hey!! You stupid mother ....ers at the bar sitting down! Get your drunk lazy asses up here! I wanna see you mother ....ers moving right now!!" *Crowd simultaneously thinks this guy is an asshole and stops paying attention* "Hey! I'm talking to you! Get the .... up!"

...Nothing makes me want to NOT pay attention more.

AHHH MOTHERLAND!

All hail soviet Arktanistan-Groffistan!
Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #20
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
being mikael akerfeldt.

H
when i saw opeth he was moving around the stage and having fun.

Some guys just arent going to go crazy on stage they just arent like that.
veshly likes this.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #21
Desk Magnetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissing View Post
You know what I hate?
Singers who get all pissed off at people who aren't standing right up front in their face.
Yep, totally. And people who refuse to accept the reality of their situation. ie

'I wanna see a circle pit, NOW'
'Er dude, there's three people in here, and one of them is on crutches'

or

'Thank you London, you've been amazing'
*old man & sole audience member sitting at the bar coughs & shuffles uncomfortably*
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #22
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Don't take half of your allotted set time to set your gear up and goof off only to play over your time and into most of the next band's set. Bands do that to us and each other all the time here. We have been forced to play two-song sets before because of it.

If you are a vocalist, don't mumble when you talk, insult the crowd for no reason, pick fights with people, argue with the owner of the venue when they tell you to stop writing random crap on the dry erase board, get drunk before a set, do other stuff to mess up your voice before a show, be irresponsible in ways that make it so you're sick at 2 or 3 out of 5 shows, waste all kinds of time trying to get two mics set up for yourself and trying to fix your piece of crap effects processor while the rest of the band is already set up and waiting for you, later during that same set apologize/complain about the rest of the band taking so long to set up when you're the one everyone was waiting for, dip your head in house paint and call it a Halloween costume, constantly hit your head on the guitar headstocks because you're not paying attention... That's stuff from our last two vocalists, and that's just the on stage stuff, or at least what I can remember of it off hand.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #23
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
don't try to be "all that." if you are, i'll see it from where i'm standing.

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #24
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Do not under any circumstances tell me how great you are. I'll make my own decision thanks.

Do not copy other bands stage moves unless are a tribute band. Under all other circumstances it looks lame.

Do not try and be all "meaningful". I hate it when bands play their one big epic ballad and the singer feels obligated to tell me that everyone wants to be loved or feels lonely or whatever. If your music is based on a message then I will pick up on it. No need to go all Dr. Phil on my ass.
TheDisease999 likes this.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #25
Beer Sewer

Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Control your ....ing stage volume!

You are not playing in Wembley. The club holds 23 people including that hot chick behind the bar, your band and the clubowner/scumbag. No need for you to crank up to get your "tone". Learn to generate your tone at a volume commensurate with your current situation and surroundings.

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

www.myspace.com/wfkoehleriii
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo7bjr/index.html
Popsyche is offline   Reply With Quote