homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Live Performance & Stage Sound
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Live Performance & Stage Sound Discussion for playing out and all things stage related.. Promote your band here as well.

Like Tree668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #576
Duh-Jent

CTID is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobine View Post
Last saturday our (now ex) drummer talked us into playing our first show. We only had one song and we (he) weren't even ready to play that. Long story short we plyed like shit. Next time im making everyone sit down and read this so it doesnt happen again.

anyone else have a bad show?

also:

Cinnamon Challenge = good makeup for shitty performance (depending on the venue) if its outside and your friend/guitarist owns it good.
if its in a little pizza place Bad.
just remember that for future use lulz

I'm like 99% sure I played that show with you.
CTID is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #577
ss.org Regular

tehgriffmeister is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTID View Post
I'm like 100% sure I played that with you.

Also, huge pet peeve, vocalists that spit water at the crowd. I don't want your nastiness.
MetalBuddah and CTID like this.

And that's why I tend to not care
tehgriffmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #578
SS.org Regular

Dommak89 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by robare99 View Post
Quick notes, as a soundguy...
Than you're the one in a hundred. I know bands can be difficult, but ...., soundguys can be difficult too. I've seen a lot of gigs being ruined by a wannabe soundguy with (as it seemed) 3 weeks experience. And this even happens at big concerts (think of Metallica, almost every band opening for them sound like shit, no matter how big the name). Having said that I can understand Bands cranking up the volume or being pissed off at some point at the soundguy. Although you should, as a band, show some professionalism and not insult him while being on stage.

I don't want to repeat what has been said already, and I agree with a lot of opinions here, but we should all keep in mind that we are all human and make mistakes. I think its a matter of handling the situation right and avoiding the critical "do nots" which makes a gig perfect.
Dommak89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #579
SS.org Regular

Jacobine is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTID View Post

lol yeah im the guitarist for Above All Tradgedies lulz
Jacobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #580
SS.org Regular

Jacobine is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehgriffmeister View Post
I'm like 100% sure I played that with you.

Also, huge pet peeve, vocalists that spit water at the crowd. I don't want your nastiness.
did that happen at our show?
Jacobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #581
ss.org Regular

Ashwin is on a distinguished road
no no no ... i dont like live performance ...
becuase its very different from other performance ...
well , in case , in show time - fire or technical problem then why watch live performance ...
i mean ........
But i agree with management of live performance ...

THANKS
Ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #582
SS.org Regular

DjentDjentlalala has a spectacular aura about
Yesterday i played with my bass music academy band,all pop songs (Coldplay,Skunk Anansie,Alanis Morrisette) a [quick note,i dont listen to that kind of music,but i can do some cool stuff,especially over Skunk Anansie] but anyway,there was a guy,coming side stage and ALWAYS saying to all the bands to sped up,cos they didnt had time....turned out this guy played in the last band,and it was just a "frog fest",full of old people eating fried frogs in a very small town.

The lesson is,dont be annoying to bands playing.it's not goddamn Reading festival,it's a shit festival in a small town.I knew he played in the last band only today,but i'll be messaging this guy soon to tell him how annoying and disrespectful his behaviour was.
DjentDjentlalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #583
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
1) No energy
2) OUT OF TUNE..... This drives me absolutely ape shit.
3) Mumbling
4) 1 guitar and a string breaks.
DarkRain93 likes this.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #584
STRAYA

Luke Acacia will become famous soon enough
Drummers- tune your drums up before you get there, your drums sound just as bad as an out of tune guitar and set up your gear before you go on stage for quick transitions.

Bass- Ensure your strings are in good condition. So many bassists just replace strings when they break and this is not good as they start sounding bad a long time before they break.

Guitarists- Dont turn your amps up too loud. If your on stage and turn your amp up so loud that you can hear it perfectly from standing up, the front row of people will be getting destroyed by your amp sound. If your tone only sounds good when turned up to 20, you have a shit guitar sound. Move around on stage and look like you actually enjoy your music, if it looks like you dont then no one else will.
Make sure your pedals/guitars have fresh batteries if they are active and make sure you have fresh strings and tune up before you hit the stage.

Keyboardists- Make sure you have levelled out your patches because it sucks when you can barely hear the piano and then the strings blow your brains out.

Singers- Learn mic technique and bring your own mic, they are cheap and can avoid illness spreading because you all obviously have aids.

General- Be nice to your sound guy as they are your saving grace when on stage and if your a ...., your ....ed. Dont break shit, shit is expensive.

When sound checking, just play something basic that demonstrates what you will be playing, its not a jam session or a shred contest between guitarists.

Make sure you entertain, this is the entertainment industry. Not the standing around focused on my fret board industry.
cfrank, Murmel, Bigfan and 3 others like this.
Luke Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #585
SS.org Regular

NeglectedField will become famous soon enough
Don't do everything I did. I hope to make up for it one day.
NeglectedField is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #586
SS.org Regular

xchristopherx is a jewel in the rough
Do not sing with a drink in your other hand.
Do not hit yourself in the head with the mic.
Do not have only one guitar and break a string. Or need a huge tuning difference for half of your set.
Do not call people pussy or faggot into a microphone.
Do not show your frustration if kids aren't buying it.
Do not ask "are we having a good time tonight?" after every song.
Do not cover strength beyond strength. (you aren't going to pull it off)
Do not get on a stage if you are incapable of tuning your instrument.
Do not cover a song by a band in the same genre as you who is still around.
Do not use samples that are louder than your actual band.
And please do not play live shows if you don't love playing shows.

I love playing live, I think recording sucks. I hate booking, driving, loading in, actively selling merch, arguing over our guarantee when it's contracted, getting things stolen, living out of a suitcase, having a cold for 4 months, etc. But I LOVE that 20 to 30 minutes of playing. Meeting new kids all the time is awesome. Seeing the world for free is the best. It's too bad when bands are obviously not appreciative of the blessing that being able to play live is.

In terms of DOs: you should always give 110%. If it's a huge venue, warped tour or a knights of Columbus. I think you should play each show like it's going to be your last. Just my .02
cfrank, Flemmigan and Char2000 like this.
xchristopherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #587
WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

Soubi7string is a glorious beacon of lightSoubi7string is a glorious beacon of lightSoubi7string is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchristopherx View Post
Do not cover a song by a band in the same genre as you who is still around.

and why not? it helps get peoples attention.

check out my band AORTIC:
http://www.facebook.com/Aortic
Soubi7string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #588
Irrelevant Name

misingonestring is just really nicemisingonestring is just really nice
Don't beat your soundguy with a baseball bat
highlordmugfug and Char2000 like this.

My name is irrelevant.
misingonestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #589
Yugen.

Aevolve is just really niceAevolve is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Acacia View Post
Make sure you entertain, this is the entertainment industry. Not the standing around focused on my fret board industry.
While I'd agree with pretty much everything else you said, I'd have to clarify part of this.

A lot of people seem to think that if a guitarist doesn't move around on stage, then it's a boring/awful show.
However- I'd much rather have a stationary band that sounds great than a band that's jumping around and sounds bad. In my personal opinion, sound should always > stage movement. Moving around and focusing on stage presence is fine, provided you can play your material more than competently while doing it.
BurntInHell, otisct20 and Char2000 like this.

Aevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #590
SS.org Regular

tm20 is a jewel in the rough
had my first live performance today.....stared at my guitar the whole time :| didn't enjoy the performance at all, I just wanted to get it done and over with, I'm guessing this is a bad sign for the future of me being in the band?
tm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #591
Actually a dog

Flemmigan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm20 View Post
had my first live performance today.....stared at my guitar the whole time :| didn't enjoy the performance at all, I just wanted to get it done and over with, I'm guessing this is a bad sign for the future of me being in the band?
No man, I'd say it's just nerves. First performance is hard as hell! I sweat through my shirt in the first 2 songs of my first show and I barely sweat usually. The more experience you get the more natural it gets. Just keep on with it!
Flemmigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #592
Ashes Of Rebirth

iRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Don't have an ego.
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #593
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is just really nicecwhitey2 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by robare99 View Post

If it IS a particularly small room, as a drummer try to use a bit of control, the whole mix usually has to be built around the snare and cymbals. If you are doing your best to put a hole in your snare, or break a cymbal with every hit, it just starts the volume war, then the guitars have to be louder, then the singer can't hear himself, and all of a sudden instead of a full mix coming out of the PA, all that's coming through is some kick and vocals.

I screamed at my drummer once because of this. I basically told him you will be the reason we sound like shit...he got the message.
Char2000 likes this.

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #594
ss.org Regular

Idaho is on a distinguished road
Just skimmed a few posts of people saying about bands that stare at their feet against bands that move around a lot. I think it really depends on the band. I've seen live vids of Periphery and they seem just really focused on playing. Then again August Burns Red seem to have a little bit more action to them.

Personally I like to see a band enjoying themselves. I can make do with a couple of mistakes if they're throwing themselves into it. If I want note perfect then that's what the album is for. I want the live energy.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #595
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a name known to allMurmel is a name known to allMurmel is a name known to allMurmel is a name known to all
Quote:
Don't worry dude, everyone is different with how they react to their first performance.

I tore shit up more than I ever have since in my first performance. I don't think that's very common though

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #596
sixstringer

Bigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel View Post
Don't worry dude, everyone is different with how they react to their first performance.

I tore shit up more than I ever have since in my first performance. I don't think that's very common though
You're a bassist. you don't count.

Murmel likes this.
Bigfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #597
SS.org Regular

tm20 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemmigan View Post
No man, I'd say it's just nerves. First performance is hard as hell! I sweat through my shirt in the first 2 songs of my first show and I barely sweat usually. The more experience you get the more natural it gets. Just keep on with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel View Post

ah ok, thanks dudes will keep practicing
tm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #598
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
ah ok, thanks dudes will keep practicing
Although I cannot remember the last time I've ever had stagefright in any capacity (I literally get antsy, agressive and just want to wreck shit), I have a tip for you if you want to be all over the place on stage:

When others calm their nerves with beer or whatnot, you say hello to your best friend:

MISTER COFFEE!!!

Srs, caffeine before shows is the shit.
AliceLG likes this.
Loomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #599
Aliens

Erazoender is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^ That just sounds like a recipe for an anxiety attack. Coffee makes me have that nice tingly feeling I get when I think about that girl I like but in a situation in which I need to focus on playing, that may not end so well.

Don't recall the last time having dreamy eyes, staring off into nothingness with a feint smile was accepted in a metal show.
Ultraussie likes this.
Erazoender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #600
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I guess we all react differently then. I just remember some of the best shows I've played were the ones where I'd chugged energy drinks like it wudn't no thang and was running around like a squirrel on crank
Loomer is online now   Reply With Quote