homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Live Performance & Stage Sound
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Live Performance & Stage Sound Discussion for playing out and all things stage related.. Promote your band here as well.

Like Tree17Likes
  • 7 Post By sage
  • 2 Post By Windwaker
  • 1 Post By KingAenarion
  • 2 Post By redskyharbor
  • 2 Post By 7 Strings of Hate
  • 2 Post By Vynce_Usurper
  • 1 Post By AxeHappy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
twerk twerk thall

sage is a name known to allsage is a name known to allsage is a name known to allsage is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Lessons learned from Mastodon/Opeth show last night

Mastodon, man, they do what they do really well. And it's awesome. I totally enjoy their records. They played the Orpheum in Vancouver last night. The Orpheum is our symphony hall. The acoustics are phenomenal. It holds 1500ish people and a trained singer can be heard by all of them without a PA.

So Mastodon rolls out their 12 cab setup and it appears that they didn't alter their stage sound to meet the venue's characteristics at all. Holy Batman's fuzzy satchel, it was crazy loud. So loud that it was about 1/2 way through Crystal Skulls before I realized they were playing Crystal Skulls. I'm pretty sure they probably played 2 or 3 songs that I really like that were totally unintelligible and therefore unrecognizable.

Mastodon (and all the rest of you dudes that like your stage volume similar to a JPL solid fuel testing facility), turn the :golf: down.

Opeth rolled out their setup. One 4x12 per guitarist, one modest bass rig, and played at about 1/2 the volume of Mastodon and sounded pristine. Granted, they played what sounded like sleepy Deep Purple covers for 90% of the set before hitting us with 2 good old fashioned proggy death metal and then getting shooed off stage for nearly breaking venue curfew, but it sounded amazing.

Moral of the story: turn the :golf: down. And don't play Deep Purple covers at a death metal show.

(Above Deep Purple references are tongue in cheek. I am fully aware that the bulk of the music last night came from their Heritage album, which I like, but I do enjoy when a band spans their catalogue during a show rather than attempting to force feed its audience 1/2 an album that has largely alienated the band from their original fanbase.)
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

Windwaker is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Doubtful that Mastodon actually USED the 12 cabs on stage. Most bands use dummy cabs to fill out a wall and then have one 4x12 miced facing away from the stage behind the wall for isolation. The front of house sound was probably just cranked up beyond intelligibility.

But noted, and this is a definite point for all metal bands to learn. If your audience's ears are bleeding, they prooobably aren't having a good time.
AxeHappy and WarOfAttrition like this.

Enjoy Avant/Progressive Metal? Check out my band, http://www.facebook.com/autocatalytica.
Windwaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

7Mic7 will become famous soon enough
Seriously musicians, Turn the sound down or else we all gonna be deaf at 30 !
7Mic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
TimeTravel Innovator

TheKindred is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwaker View Post
Doubtful that Mastodon actually USED the 12 cabs on stage. Most bands use dummy cabs to fill out a wall and then have one 4x12 miced facing away from the stage behind the wall for isolation. The front of house sound was probably just cranked up beyond intelligibility.

They had definitely had 5 different cabs being miced up. 1 marshall on the left, one on the right, and 1 Orange miced left and 1 right, then a fender setup miced on the lead side.

I was front row center so I got a pretty good look at the gear and stage setup.
TheKindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Windwaker is headed in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
They had definitely had 5 different cabs being miced up. 1 marshall on the left, one on the right, and 1 Orange miced left and 1 right, then a fender setup miced on the lead side.

I was front row center so I got a pretty good look at the gear and stage setup.
Then I apologize for your ears. :P

Enjoy Avant/Progressive Metal? Check out my band, http://www.facebook.com/autocatalytica.
Windwaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
Yea man...

Play it really ....in' loud isn't Metal... It's just dumb.
Velixo likes this.

My band - Ex Curia - Prog metal in an Opeth meets Machine Head kind of way
KingAenarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

ara_ is a jewel in the rough
That's probably why the Dream Theater show in Stuttgart this February sounded pretty muddy. Periphery were even worse, similar volume but they weren't mixed well. They played in a symphony hall as well... Oh well, it was awesome anyway. I even got to drunkenly talk to (and shoot awkward photos of) Spencer Sotelo and Mark Holcomb afterwards \o/
ara_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Despises crabcore.

redskyharbor is a jewel in the rough
FOH engineer clearly had his finger in his ass, also a decent set of earplugs can do a world of good at gigs where the band/engineers have no idea how to set volume levels.
AxeHappy and WarOfAttrition like this.
redskyharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
When I saw Opeth in 08' the live sound was terrrible; same venue too!
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAenarion View Post
Yea man...

Play it really ....in' loud isn't Metal... It's just dumb.
Agree if it just stupid loud. There's a certain volume below which the music is not as powerful to me. I certainly don't wanna be deafened, and I wear ear plugs if a band is way too loud, but i don't like showing up to a metal show and being able to hear the guy behind me singing louder than the music.

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randal Diavlo V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I run into this often. The other night i saw Origin, Cattle Decapitation, Aborted, and Decrepit Birth. All I heard was screaming and drum kit. Couldnt make out anything(with or without ear plugs). Its made me decide that i'm not going to go to venues unless they have a decent front of house guy/system.
AxeHappy and Blake1970 like this.

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
TimeTravel Innovator

TheKindred is a jewel in the rough
I used earplugs during Mastadon, but they were not required for Ghost or Opeth.

Side note: I went to Behemoth a week ago and for such a heavy show, the sound was very clear and articulated (although the guitars could have been up in the mix, imo)
TheKindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Klokateer

Vynce_Usurper will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwaker View Post

But noted, and this is a definite point for all metal bands to learn. If your audience's ears are bleeding, they prooobably aren't having a good time.
3ok8u0.jpg
WarOfAttrition and Windwaker like this.
Vynce_Usurper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
SS Contributor

jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I just saw the same tour a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh and the sound was all pretty much consistent. Ghost and Opeth were a hair quieter, though.

Beard Sound Machines Jazzmaster
Beard Sound Machines Jazzcaster
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender AVRI '52 Reissue Telecaster
First Act Custom Shop Delia/Delia LS Hybrid

Vox AC30C2

@beardsoundmachines
lostswimmer.bandcamp.com
jordanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Does sound more like a FoH issue.
I saw mastodon a few weeks ago and they sounded incredible, really clear.
But the same issue you mentioned occurred when I saw Periphery a while back. The support bands sounded great and I know the club they played has a good sound system, but the foh for periphery decided to crank it and it sounded like shit as a result.
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to all
Really common problem at metal shows. Especially of local/opener bands. Don't know if FoH guys are told to .... their sound over or what, but it's really common.
myampslouder likes this.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Mic7 View Post
Seriously musicians, Turn the sound down or else we all gonna be deaf at 30 !
Quoted for truth, by someone's who's hearing was shot before they hit that age.

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote