homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

chrisharbin is just really nicechrisharbin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The "quit whining" and lose some weight thread

Ok, now that the sensa experiment is over it's time to focus on this from a more realistic angle.

Weigh in: 195lbs
Goal: 185lbs (for now) One hurdle at a time.

I have two really glaring problems that can't have much done about them.

A medication that known to cause weight gain
Age (47)

However, what I'm willing to do:

-keep track of my daily food intake
-exercise. Though I can't run or do anything too strenuous (back issues) I most certainly can and will walk. Luckily there is a nice hill on my walk (long/fairly steep). I go for about an hour (I think it ends up being about 3 miles)

I'm not an all day snacker. My problem becomes at night when it's time to tube out. This is priority number one! My fear is that by simply cutting it off, I'll just think about it all the time.

Portions. Yeah, I like to eat. When I dropped from 215 to current weight I went with lower portions. Time to start this again!

This is mostly a discipline. By posting this here I'm hoping that it will keep me in check.

thanks for listening
Randy likes this.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Trying to figure out how to do this w/o it being a lame "diary" type thing. I'm keeping track of what I eat. I guess maybe post once a week with everything I ate in a condensed way?

Or maybe not at all?
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I support this. I decided to man up last year, made sure I was burning more calories than I was taking in, and I've lost 154 pounds in the last year. I am no longer obese, I can sleep, breath and walk better, and have reached a nominally healthy weight. It really is possible, and easier than people think.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
the "BFF"

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
As boring as it sounds, one of the best ways to keep your meals within a pre-determined calorie portion, is to just pre-determine your meals.

In other words, construct a few meals (along with the right portions) that fall within the calorie goal, and just stick with them.

This is why so many bodybuilders have their select few meals that they eat over and over.

Then it just becomes a matter of meal spacing.
chrisharbin likes this.
TRENCHLORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
I support this. I decided to man up last year, made sure I was burning more calories than I was taking in, and I've lost 154 pounds in the last year. I am no longer obese, I can sleep, breath and walk better, and have reached a nominally healthy weight. It really is possible, and easier than people think.
Holy shit dude! That's awesome!
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
the "BFF"

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
Hats off to you man .

That's some seriously consistent long-term willpower.
TRENCHLORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Thanks guys! I was just sick of being unhealthy, and decided to change. It was a change borne of unhappiness, and once I got a rythym established it was easier than I thought to keep going.
highlordmugfug likes this.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

ToupaTroopa will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Nice! I'm starting my workout/diet plan next week. I can't wait to be healthy again.
ToupaTroopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Best thing I did regarding snacking while watching movies: replaced a sofa with an exercise bike. When I watch, I'm either standing or pedaling.

First off, it turns that that time from a slow calorie injection to a zero intake time.

By either using a stationary bike with heartrate monitor pads, or a worn heartrate monitor, you'll be able to get your heart rate up to either 60% of maximum (easy but constant), or even higher, up to 80% (less efficient in terms of burn... which means you burn even more).

Few shows are less than 30 minutes, so you'll have at least that in any given session.

You'll be entertained and distracted. In fact, if you have the right movie on (Die Hard, Bourne Identity, etc.) you'll be surprised at how fast the time goes.

I either have a metronome click going so I know my lowest target cadence, or wear that little vibrating metronome so I don't disturb other people if we're watching together.

My riding position is not aggressive at all. I also bought one of those completely split saddles (two pads, no horn) to keep the dream alive.

I picked my bike up from Craigslist. It's silent, and it was cheap.

----

If a bike isn't an option due to the back thing, think about a treadmill. Going with "pushing the cart uphill" (pushing against the handles/grips to involve the upper body) and using a steep angle, you'll quickly ramp your heartrate up much higher, and without the knee stress of running.

----

And, of course, there's always using a yoga ball instead of a chair, and either doing really light freeweights while watching, or using something like a Bullworker for your upper body. Doing something comfortable over a long period of time can do amazing things. Ever see a postal carrier's calves? That's just from walking.

----

In my fridge for snacking, I have black beans and salsa. I have a hard time eating more than 1 cup of beans and half a cup of salsa, along with chips for dipping (I get the baked chips). Sure, they all have carbs, but most complex carbs. Then, when I'm getting to the end, I might have a quarter of a chocolate Power Bar, which isn't as calorie dense as actual chocolate.

I drink a lot of water, especially right before eating. Doing this at a time when one might instead be snacking allows one to feel full and not as tempted to *keep* snacking.

----

Man, I'm excited for you. I can't wait to hear how this goes!
Faine and s_k_mullins like this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

So today's weigh in was 192.4

Last night I had two handfuls of tortilla chips, NOT in front of the tube. Eating was pretty much predetermined. I not feeling hungry or deprived.

Water. Something I DON'T drink enough of. Coffee is my vice, I only put a little sugar in it (no cream) and I have two coke zero's a day (can't stand not having carbonation, coke zero is the only "diet" drink I like)

I love the idea of the bike/treadmill. I don't watch a ton of TV, it's what I do at night when I'm winding down. The only time I watch allot of TV is when I'm sick or football season. I do have a "yoga" ball

I sit in front of this computer ALLOT. I post, I read stuff, I play guitar/do music but it is sitting a ton. I should take more breaks and do something.

One good thing is there is more yardwork to do at this time of year (about to get some of that done today) This should be good for a few extra calories.
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

drgamble has a spectacular aura about
I don't know if you are doing it yet or not, but I have had a lot of success eating 5-6 small meals a day instead of the standard 3. Now when I say meal, it could just be an apple or an orange as opposed to what people traditionally think a meal is.
drgamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
No Borders

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Ever see a postal carrier's calves? That's just from walking.
My legs are like this. I push carts as my main job so it's a combination of walk/jog/running and when I'm at work and not doing carts it usually involves walking.

But I do have some flab in my middle I need to get rid of and I've been using free weights 2-3 times a week to tone up my arms a bit.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Alex6534 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I might as well join in! Since February I've lost around 40 pounds or there abouts... From 242 to 202, got at least another 15-20 to go, or until I get my body fat down to get some BrOOtAl pecks ;-)
chrisharbin likes this.
Alex6534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamble View Post
I don't know if you are doing it yet or not, but I have had a lot of success eating 5-6 small meals a day instead of the standard 3. Now when I say meal, it could just be an apple or an orange as opposed to what people traditionally think a meal is.
Yes. As a matter of fact, it's kinda being adopted. Smaller portions and If I'm hungry, another smaller portion later. However, of late, I haven't been very hungry.
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
I have two coke zero's a day
Er...

There's a lot of studies out there which, for whatever reason, show a link between the artificial sweeteners used in Coke Zero and:

Weight gain
Cardiac events
Premature birth
Diabetes.

You can do some reading on your own, but if you want to increase your chances of success, why not just give up the diet drinks with aspartame and acesulfame potassium?

And, if you don't want to give up soda, you might as well just substitute something with actual sugar for the diet stuff, given that the "zero calorie" thing might give you a false impression of how "healthy" that intake amount is. (Not high fructose corn syrup, either, which also has a few negative intake results.)
highlordmugfug and TRENCHLORD like this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Playing guitar.

Faine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to behold
If you really like carbonated drinks, drink ginger ale!
Faine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Er...

There's a lot of studies out there which, for whatever reason, show a link between the artificial sweeteners used in Coke Zero and:

Weight gain
Cardiac events
Premature birth
Diabetes.

You can do some reading on your own, but if you want to increase your chances of success, why not just give up the diet drinks with aspartame and acesulfame potassium?

And, if you don't want to give up soda, you might as well just substitute something with actual sugar for the diet stuff, given that the "zero calorie" thing might give you a false impression of how "healthy" that intake amount is. (Not high fructose corn syrup, either, which also has a few negative intake results.)
I dunno about that, when I lost the 20lbs 3 years ago I went from real coke to coke zero. I was assuming that was part of the reason.

I can't give up everything (crying)
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

btw, you should be careful, I'm starting to think of you as my personal trainer
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faine View Post
If you really like carbonated drinks, drink ginger ale!
Seltzer is good, too. It seems more carbonated than soda, so it drinks slower, and drinking slower is a good habit to develop for when you do have a soda or a beer.

I'm down ~55lb in this past year and it has been a lot of hard work, but it's so rewarding even with the progress made so far.

Good luck!

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Seltzer water, interesting idea. It would have to be flavored me thinks.

Problem is I REALLY crave coke..........coke zero is so close. Ironic me thinks too that I gave up the real thing if it isn't helping.
Unread 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #21
He seldomly knows...

Here's a thought, regarding the Coke and other intake.

You don't have to give up something sparkly... but why not avoid just empty calories?

If you can live with orange juice and seltzer water, then you can feel as guiltless as most about an orange juice sparkler. The orange juice has more micronutrients than any form of Coke.

One Power Bar Performance (chocolate's my fave!) has half the fat of one serving of 12 tortilla chips. I'd eat one of those, washing it down with lots of water.

----

Sorry, I didn't want to write an encyclopedia, but here's some thoughts.

Unless you really do more workout than walking, you only need a little over 2000 calories a day to maintain your target weight of 185 (you want to maintain your target, not what you currently weigh, right?).

If you eat more complex foods, you'll wind up burning more. If you eat more fat, you'll end up storing more.

Keeping your fat intake down to 10% of your eating means you only get 32 grams a day. Your snack of chips is more than a fifth of that.

Going with 20% (64 grams total a day) means you've eaten more than 10% of your fat intake for the day.

I'm starting to think that your keeping a food journal wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm getting the feeling that you might be consuming more than you have already let on (maybe it was your comment that you can't be expected to sacrifice things you like to order to lose weight). An accurate journal would let you know for sure.

Unread 05-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #22
/\'...'/\

toiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
best wishes and support to all of you. it can be pretty hard at time but i know you can do it!
toiletstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Here's a thought, regarding the Coke and other intake.

You don't have to give up something sparkly... but why not avoid just empty calories?

If you can live with orange juice and seltzer water, then you can feel as guiltless as most about an orange juice sparkler. The orange juice has more micronutrients than any form of Coke.

One Power Bar Performance (chocolate's my fave!) has half the fat of one serving of 12 tortilla chips. I'd eat one of those, washing it down with lots of water.

----

Sorry, I didn't want to write an encyclopedia, but here's some thoughts.

Unless you really do more workout than walking, you only need a little over 2000 calories a day to maintain your target weight of 185 (you want to maintain your target, not what you currently weigh, right?).

If you eat more complex foods, you'll wind up burning more. If you eat more fat, you'll end up storing more.

Keeping your fat intake down to 10% of your eating means you only get 32 grams a day. Your snack of chips is more than a fifth of that.

Going with 20% (64 grams total a day) means you've eaten more than 10% of your fat intake for the day.

I'm starting to think that your keeping a food journal wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm getting the feeling that you might be consuming more than you have already let on (maybe it was your comment that you can't be expected to sacrifice things you like to order to lose weight). An accurate journal would let you know for sure.
Too much to answer blow by blow but I am keeping track per item. I don't know that it's really a very good thing to just keep posting that everyday though Anyways, I am doing it.

Interesting about the chips. That is why I'm doing what was mentioned in the other thread and keeping track. The hope is that visually it will provide the red flags and thus adjustments can be made. I can't do EVERYTHING but I'm pretty fracking serious about it.......stay tuned........
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, @ orange juice. I only drink that when I'm sick (which hasn't been too often the last couple of years) Odd, but it really fracks with my stomach. (but I can eat really spicy food and it hardly bothers me at all )
Unread 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #25
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I am going to to go the doctor soon and look into some appetite suppresents, over the last 5 months i have gained about 40lbs and i feel like i am dying all the time now. both physically and mentally.

need to get back into my old workouts and stuff, and definalty eat less. I eat mostly ramen, and its killing me

I mean i did the whole eat healthy work out a bit thing last summer dropping to about 210 from 240 and slowly was about 230 around christmas. now i am stuck at a whopping 270, the thickest i have ever been.

weight: monster

goal: 195.768

Check out my band
http://www.facebook.com/ForsythiaOfficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote