homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Like Tree931Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #451
Yugen.

Aevolve is just really niceAevolve is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Potentially, you could- yes. Whether or not that would be the most effective workout is up in the air.

Essentially what you're trying to do is exhaust the muscle as much as possible- this is the same reasoning behind dropsets (if you're familiar with those). You're trying to deplete the muscle as much as you can. If you only do one exercise with a muscle group, the potential energy is there to continue exercising the same muscle group- which is wasted without additional exercises.
Also- different exercises for each muscle group ensure even growth. Take preacher curls for example- they primarily target what is called the "peak" of the bicep: a small strip head in the center, which pushes the bicep up. If you only did preacher curls, your peak head would grow- but the inside and outside heads of your bicep wouldn't, giving you a very strange looking arm.

Aevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #452
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
Ok got it, thats why I had this small muscle real sore when I did a different shoulder exercise, it was obviously one I never activated before.
Now it makes sense why guys concentrate on only sections of the body with lots of different exercises.

I want 3 days at the gym and have been doing the starting strength but find the free weights at my time are hard to get too.
What I was thinking is doing a workout over those 3 days that would hit everything and still get some running in.

How would you split it up?
Leg, Chest, Back or combinations..I want to get out in an hour as well.

Thanks
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #453
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
I do a 3 day split.

Mon: Chest/tri
Wed: Back/biceps
Fri: Legs/shoulders

Works fine for me, hadn't the gym been closed sat/sun I would repeat on sunday.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #454
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ I do a similar split but swapping the last two workouts around.
I also swap triceps and biceps, so they are slightly being hit twice a week. Once as support for chest/back and once as their primary workout.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #455
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
That looks great, thanks!

Now can you just include what exercises you do for those parts?
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #456
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
That looks great, thanks!

Now can you just include what exercises you do for those parts?
Google "3 day split"...

Really, it all depends on personal preference. For chest there's flat/incline bench with barbells or dumbells, flyes, cable crossovers... Rows, deadlifts, pullups/pulldowns for back, pushdowns, skullcrushers, close grip bench for triceps, 600 different curls for biceps, squats, presses, extensions, raises, curls for legs, tons of shoulder exercises. Put some effort into this. It's your body.
Bevo, Murmel and Captain Shoggoth like this.
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #457
SS.org Regular

So after a month of working out and cutting back on my running I made some good progress considering how I started.
My body had a serious lack of muscle from catobolizing from the long runs, I was thin but my body fat was a bit high.
Couple stats..

% fat; 16 now 14
Weight 152 now 159
Bench 4 rep max 60lb now 140
Squat 4 rep max 80lb now 180
Rows 4 rep max 50lb now 120

Not big numbers for you guys but pretty cool for me!
That first week was a shocker, I have never been that weak in my life. My new strength is great for opening doors or jars of sauce..hell its even more fun to throw my daughter and GF around now!!

Overall I am happy and really enjoy the workouts!
I have taken your advice and upped my calories and am taking 60 grams of Whey protein a day only.

Thanks for your advice and support!!
Infamous Impact and Fiction like this.
Unread 08-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #458
SS.org Regular

Infamous Impact is just really niceInfamous Impact is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
So after a month of working out and cutting back on my running I made some good progress considering how I started.
My body had a serious lack of muscle from catobolizing from the long runs, I was thin but my body fat was a bit high.
Couple stats..

% fat; 16 now 14
Weight 152 now 159
Bench 4 rep max 60lb now 140
Squat 4 rep max 80lb now 180
Rows 4 rep max 50lb now 120

Not big numbers for you guys but pretty cool for me!
That first week was a shocker, I have never been that weak in my life. My new strength is great for opening doors or jars of sauce..hell its even more fun to throw my daughter and GF around now!!

Overall I am happy and really enjoy the workouts!
I have taken your advice and upped my calories and am taking 60 grams of Whey protein a day only.

Thanks for your advice and support!!
You're doing great!
Bevo likes this.

"...When they find out you have more than the standard number of strings... It's like you're the ....in' highlander or something..."
Infamous Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #459
came and went

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Yelp Bevo, like they always say; Rome wasn't built in a day.
The pyramids weren't built in 20yrs either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhPCjAplTM

Progress is good progress
Bevo likes this.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #460
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey guys, I've got a few questions about hitting legs:

1) How important are abduction and adduction exercises? I realise that squats will help with this, but I was wondering if I should dedicate an exercise to these muscles.

2) As I have the calves of a child, are there any exercises that will help put on more mass there? I do cycle a fair amount, and I have strength there, just not mass.

3) Are there any stretches I can do to get the flexability in my arms for front squats? (Rather than crossing over my hands)

Cheers for the help!

Losing sleep at Cambridge uni
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #461
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I had itty bitty baby calves when I started high school, I just did 200 standing calf raises every other day or so and mine got larger.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #462
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
I had itty bitty baby calves when I started high school, I just did 200 standing calf raises every other day or so and mine got larger.
Yeah calf raises are great. I do mine on leg day, two sets of 10 toes in two sets toes out. Free barbell, same weight or heavier than squats.

The first time I trained calves I did 24 minutes straight of unweighted while listening to The Odyssey. I couldn't walk for 3 weeks
highlordmugfug and Murmel like this.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #463
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Cheers for the advice! I'll stick a set in to my leg day.

Losing sleep at Cambridge uni
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #464
Yugen.

Do whatever Tiger's doing for your calves man.. Jesus.

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #465
SS.org Regular

lol sprint

"...When they find out you have more than the standard number of strings... It's like you're the ....in' highlander or something..."
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #466

Tiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachesMcKenzie View Post
Do whatever Tiger's doing for your calves man.. Jesus.
Lol what?
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #467
I can count to 8.

octatonic is a jewel in the rough
My cutting program is a 3 days weights split with a lot of cardio added in.
I am at the gym twice a day some days.
As follows:

Monday: AM Weights - chest/shoulders/triceps. PM HIIT cardio 30-40 mins
Tuesday: PM Spin class 45 mins
Wednesday: AM Weights - back/traps/biceps. PM Spin class 45 mins
Thursday: rest
Friday: AM weights Legs. PM HIIT cardio or spin
Saturday: AM 45 min spin class then straight into a 60 min circuit training.

2 more months of cutting then I drop 4 of the cardio sessions and up the intensity of the weights and up the calorie intake for a lean bulk.
octatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #468
Yugen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Lol what?
Your calves exploded.

I'd personally like to know what you've been doing with your legs- has it just been the squats and deadlifts + running?

Unread 08-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #469

Tiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud of
Yea I only squat weekly and I deadlift about three times a month with only a few reps. I run in vibrams only though, thats where any calf musculature comes from, I do not work them out specifically.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #470
SS.org Regular

No one took my half-assed advice on sprinting seriously? My calves doubled in size from sprinting in the first 2 months. It's the best workout for legs in general. Maybe not for size, but definitely strength. And all the forces your calves have to absorb cause them to hypertrophy like crazy.

See, his calves, like mine and most other sprinters, have a high insertion point, which would mean that no matter how hard you work them, your calves would always look small. But if you do something other than calf raises they blow up.

Unread 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #471
SS.org Regular

TankJon666 is a jewel in the rough
+1 on the sprinting. I added about 1/4 inch to my calves just through changing one of my usual cardio sessions of running with all out sprinting. Sprint, rest, repeat for about 15 minutes. I do train calves 3 times a week as well though, 6 x 20 reps of alternating position calf raises - either barbell accross the knees or on the calf raise machine. Calves are pretty dense muscle and can be trained hard regularly ..at least thats what I have found.
TankJon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #472
SS.org Regular

Alex6534 is a jewel in the rough
I'm down to about 81kg, lost a total of 31kg since February. Seem to still have a fair bit of flab, still a bit of a gut and moobs . I'm working out 5 days per week, usually lifting 5 and cardio 4 times. Lifting is isolation exercises (gym doesn't have barbells etc) and cardio is swimming one mile. Macro's are about 150g Protein, 100g carbs and about 30/40g fat if that... Hoping I can cut down to 75 and see how I go from there. Any tips?
Fiction likes this.
Alex6534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #473
I can count to 8.

octatonic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6534 View Post
I'm down to about 81kg, lost a total of 31kg since February. Seem to still have a fair bit of flab, still a bit of a gut and moobs . I'm working out 5 days per week, usually lifting 5 and cardio 4 times. Lifting is isolation exercises (gym doesn't have barbells etc) and cardio is swimming one mile. Macro's are about 150g Protein, 100g carbs and about 30/40g fat if that... Hoping I can cut down to 75 and see how I go from there. Any tips?
Yes- drop the isolations and start doing compounds.
If you don't have barbells then use dumbbells or even body weight (chinups, pushups etc).

Well done on your progress thus far.
octatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #474
SS.org Regular

TankJon666 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Yes- drop the isolations and start doing compounds.
If you don't have barbells then use dumbbells or even body weight (chinups, pushups etc).

Well done on your progress thus far.
This ^

Also, if you do strictly compound exercises then I would do 3 sessions a week plus your cardio. You'll be greatful for recovery period between sessions! Deads, squats, chins, bench, standing overhead press etc.. all really take it out of you if you train hard! Isolation exercises are great for when you really want to concentrate on a specific muscle(s) but doing compound exercises will burn more calories and you will get bigger quicker - as long as your eating and sleeping right! I would stick to sets of 5 x 8reps per exercise. You need to be lifting heavy too. Basically if you feel you can do more at the end of your session then you need to up the weights your lifting.

As for protein, carb and fat intake. Based on your weight you may want to adjust your diet based on your goals, if you want to get big then will need to eat more. I stick to 1.5g of protein per pound of body weight. So, for example, I weigh 200lbs (give or take a few pounds) and I eat approx 300g of protein a day. Of my 3000 calories a day that is around 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fats.

Not saying this is how you should do it. Its just my approach but something in there may be of use to you!
TankJon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #475
SS.org Regular

Alex6534 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks guys, might just order a barbell online, or even just a chin-up bar for now. I live in a little village and the local gym isn't the greatest. They have dumbells, but the rest of the machines are isolation exercises.

EDIT: Didn't realise you also commented on macros etc . Just now I'm on about 1500 calories, trying to cut down body fat and still retain some muscle. I've just recently in the past month/two gotten my diet in check in terms of protein consumption etc, so I think from the weight I have lost a good bit is muscle.. As I seem to be around the 16% bf so look good clothes on, clothes off still moobs and bit of a gut. Arm's are starting to get more defined though, so hopefully the change in diet is helping preserve a bit more muscle. If I can get down to single digit body fat then I will be pleased and bulk up. Hoping to get there by about 75/76kg max. If only I knew all this back in February"
Alex6534 is offline   Reply With Quote