homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Yugen.

Aevolve is just really niceAevolve is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Milk.

So I've heard a plethora of opinions on this, searched for a thread, and found nothing really relevant to my question.

Which is truly better for you nutritionally?
Whole milk or Skim/Lowfat milk?

Whole milk quite obviously has much more fat in it but I've heard arguments saying that skim/lowfat milk is processed down into nothing but sugar, really.

Comments?

Aevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
In moderation and supplementing a proper diet, both are roughly equal.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That's the most retarded thing people say, skim milk is fine. Just look at the ....ing nutrition thing, it says there's protein in it
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

jackalan996 is on a distinguished road
these both milks have the equal quality and parameters.you can use both according your desire. but you also know that milk is only the product which have all the vitamins.

San Diego Weight Loss

jackalan996
jackalan996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A friend of mine who works at Johns Hopkins (so I'm assuming she knows her stuff) told me that vitamin D, which is normally added to milk, is a fat-soluble vitamin, and that the vitamin is not easily absorbed when in skim milk.

She also told me that some studies show that men who drink six or more 8-oz glasses of whole milk have reductions in LDL cholesterol and their triglycerides (20% for the triglycerides?), and that they build muscle more easily. That's a huge amount of milk, though.
Rook likes this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

Cuthbert is on a distinguished road
Milk is best and healthy food for the person who want to gain weight because it is rich of with fat but it is not to good for those who want lose weight due to rich of fat. Fat increase the weight.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
A few friends of mine are constantly on and off training for martial arts competition.

They strongly advised me against cow's milk due to agricultural practices.

They claim:
Cow's udders are often removed so that they can be mechanically milked, this and other factors cause mastitis, which is an infection of the mammary glands. Sooo, they pump it full of antibiotics to counteract the puss. The animals are all fed steroids etc. so it's in the milk after pasturisation.

They all drink Soya as a life choice, to prevent desensitisation to anti biotics. They all get broken a lot so need maximum healing factor.

Crazy ninjas...
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Just to note: in the US, certified organic milk isn't going to be pumped full of antibiotics, and will also be free of rBGH.

I stopped drinking soy milk in a major way when I found it it was full of genistein and daidzein, which are so similar to estrogen that they're known as phytoestrogens (plant-produced estrogens). Tofu doesn't have high levels because the soy is fermented, but soy milk has been the culprit in cases where men have developed breasts while their penises atrophied.

One more thought: unless the soy you're consuming is organic, there is a lot of research showing that genetically modified (GM) soy, which is 87% of the soy produced in the US, causes liver damage in animal tests... and that the gene sequence responsible for the change can also make the jump into the normal intestinal bacteria in the human stomach, meaning your gut will forever have the problem dwelling within.

(Sorry, I know that was all really wonky, but a coworker of mine does a lot of work on food issues, and she just presented to a few groups on GMO issues.)
Alberto7 and Rook like this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
I stopped drinking soy milk in a major way when I found it it was full of genistein and daidzein, which are so similar to estrogen that they're known as phytoestrogens (plant-produced estrogens). Tofu doesn't have high levels because the soy is fermented, but soy milk has been the culprit in cases where men have developed breasts while their penises atrophied.
That's not really true info on the soy,
(taken from a breast cancer site Confused about soy and estrogen? )
Soy proteins contain isoflavones that can mimic a weak estrogen effect. It's not "high test" estrogen like your own body would make. It is 1,000 times weaker than your own body's estrogen

I read up on that before I became vegan, most of it has been myths and soy seems to balance your estrogen levels, not give you more or take away.

I've been drinking strictly soy/almond/rice and coconut milk for 2 years now, and I've felt 100 times better than my milk drinking days (and I enjoyed milk but always questioned it's quick expiration, taste, reason and purpose) not to mention milk is disgustingly gross, unless you really enjoy drinking accumulated white blood cells
highlordmugfug likes this.

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Uncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan-ZenGtr- View Post

The animals are all fed steroids etc. so it's in the milk after pasturisation.

lol, it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people are when it comes to steroids.
Uncreative123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
Milk is best and healthy food for the person who want to gain weight because it is rich of with fat but it is not to good for those who want lose weight due to rich of fat. Fat increase the weight.

Right, because dietary fat = fat levels in the body.
And of course, net weight change over time is definitely not determined by caloric intake, with macronutrient intake definitely not determining body compositional changes.
Must just be pure luck that I continue to lose fat on a high fat diet, right
Reality =/ crap people read in a women's magazine
AxeHappy likes this.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Yugen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Right, because dietary fat = fat levels in the body.
And of course, net weight change over time is definitely not determined by caloric intake, with macronutrient intake definitely not determining body compositional changes.
Must just be pure luck that I continue to lose fat on a high fat diet, right
Reality =/ crap people read in a women's magazine
So should I switch to higher-fat milk? Or is skim fine?

I'm gathering from what people say here that both are equally as good and it doesn't really matter in the slightest.

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Stay Negative™

leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.
Jesus christ... Here. I'll help you guys out.

1- Do you want to reduce your daily fat intake?
Yes: Drink skim/no fat milk
No: Drink whole milk

The only difference between whole and skim milk is a loss of flavor and creaminess/texture/color when the fat is removed from the milk.
AxeHappy likes this.

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
leandroab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
I always equated soy with estrogen, perhaps I will do more research as I know little about it.

@Uncreative123

I was just presenting a short version of a long lecture given to me at close range by an intimidating giant. When giants are talking, I go with a "let the Wookie win" policy.

I'm sure google could present some interesting information in agricultural steroids, but I agree that bold accusations should be reserved without presenting more information.

1st google result
China food scandals: China wrestles with food safety problems - Los Angeles Times
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
on a side note, organic milk TASTES 10x better. Plus, it lasts a few months, which gets me pretty suspicious about the non-organic stuff and it's 2 week expiration.
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to all
I'm lactose intolerant so I made the switch to Almond milk a bit ago and I approve.

No protein in it though.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
King of the Swing

Labrie is a glorious beacon of lightLabrie is a glorious beacon of lightLabrie is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Skim milk has been stripped of fat and therefore a good chunk of the fat soluble vitamins originally in milk also. It would be correct the say that skim milk is basically all sugar which leads to those lovely insulin spikes much like other foods with a high glycemic index. I think if you have an issue with body fat, your choice of milk is the least of your concerns. In an otherwise healthy individual saturated fat is not the poison that popular opinion leads you to believe.
ilyti likes this.
Labrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrie View Post
In an otherwise healthy individual saturated fat is not the poison that popular opinion leads you to believe.
Bit of a tautology here. Nothing is a problem in a healthy individual

/being a dick

It is still a problem, to a certain extent - it raises the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Mononsaturates are better for you, in most situations. You do need some sat fat though, as you need some for the cholesterol in the cell membrane.

Also, there is protein in milk too, which is not stripped out with the fat. I think the vitamins in milk are pretty negligible, unless you drink large quantities. The same can be said about the difference between whole vs skimmed - it is a matter of 100 calories or so.

That being said, if you are looking to reduce your calorie intake, it does make a difference.

Losing sleep at Cambridge uni
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Blake1970 is a glorious beacon of lightBlake1970 is a glorious beacon of lightBlake1970 is a glorious beacon of light
I use 2% with my protein powder.
Blake1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
King of the Swing

Labrie is a glorious beacon of lightLabrie is a glorious beacon of lightLabrie is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatoliver View Post
Bit of a tautology here. Nothing is a problem in a healthy individual

/being a dick

It is still a problem, to a certain extent - it raises the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Mononsaturates are better for you, in most situations. You do need some sat fat though, as you need some for the cholesterol in the cell membrane.

Also, there is protein in milk too, which is not stripped out with the fat. I think the vitamins in milk are pretty negligible, unless you drink large quantities. The same can be said about the difference between whole vs skimmed - it is a matter of 100 calories or so.

That being said, if you are looking to reduce your calorie intake, it does make a difference.
Insulin spikes can also cause atherosclerosis so that argument is invalid. I'm not saying milk will give you a heart attack, I'm more or less saying the fat content in milk should not be perceived as such a bad thing.
Greatoliver likes this.
Labrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Yugen.

Once again- what I'm gathering = It doesn't matter in the slightest

I have pretty low bodyfat, so I'm not really worried about the fat content. But I try not to eat unnecessary amounts of fat. I guess I'll just drink 1%. It's my favorite as far as taste goes anyway.

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
is really Sasquatch.

AngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to behold
Malk. I love me a big glass of malk.
ilyti and Don Vito like this.

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
OVER THE LINE!

Wingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of lightWingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of lightWingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of light
Milk is so good for you, you have to question whether its not from this earth

Shono.........

ahead of his time
Wingchunwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #24
is really Sasquatch.

AngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to behold
Well, Aliens do abduct cows don't they??

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Ibanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of lightIbanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of lightIbanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-Wr...22806487780403 <--- photo page, click it, and maybe like????
The horror that was that video made my bowels explode in an inhuman fashion that scared me, my dog, and the bird in the tree outside my room window-Insackclothandashes
Ibanezsam4 is offline   Reply With Quote