homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
SS Contributor

Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Carpal tunnel - who has had the surgery

Well just as the title says has anyone on here had the Carpal tunnel surgery and how did it affect your playing after you healed up? I have it in both of my hands and I need to have the surgery done. Hands are really hurting and numb sometimes, I can only play the guitar for 10 to 15 minutes before they start to hurt and not work properly. I'm really nervous about the surgery because I do not want to loose my ability to play the guitar! So any stories about your experiences would be great!
bloodline likes this.

Mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
SS Contributor

Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Nobody? I figured someone on here would have had some kind of experience.

Unread 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
SS Contributor

Unread 01-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
SS Contributor

Well in about an hour I go to the doc for my final check up on my hands and then to set up the surgery date. I want to do my left hand first because that's the one that gives me the most grief, then after it heals up some then I will do the right hand.
Really nervous about this and I hope it will give me the ability to play again like I could before!

Unread 01-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
/\'...'/\

toiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
best of luck dude! never undergone the surgery but i wish you a fast recovery
Mattmc74 likes this.
toiletstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletstand View Post
best of luck dude! never undergone the surgery but i wish you a fast recovery
Thanks man!

After I get it done I will take pics of hands after the surgery and post them up, also I will give details on how it's going during the healing process and if I get my playing abilities back. Then later down the road if someone does a search on here about carpal tunnel they can check out my results.

Unread 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Blake1970 is a glorious beacon of lightBlake1970 is a glorious beacon of lightBlake1970 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had to have surgery on both elbows for cubital tunnel syndrome. I'm able to play just fine now!
Mattmc74, nojyeloot and Konfyouzd like this.
Blake1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wow you'd think w/ all the talk of folks' hands not working around here there'd be more input.

Perhaps they're just speaking figuratively...

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmc74 View Post
Nobody? I figured someone on here would have had some kind of experience.
I'm potentially looking at cubital tunnel surgery, so I'm watching this thread too.

Explorer recently had some work done. Here's the thread: Intentionally getting one's hand cut open (surgery, and the results)

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I recently went to see an orthopedic doc about my hand. The visit came up empty. He gave me a referral to go see a neurologist and have some nerve tests done. (yay! )

Translation: I have serious hand issues, but apparently not the same issues you have.

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
I recently went to see an orthopedic doc about my hand. The visit came up empty. He gave me a referral to go see a neurologist and have some nerve tests done. (yay! )

Translation: I have serious hand issues, but apparently not the same issues you have.
Damn! Well I hope everything goes good for you!

Unread 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRay View Post
I'm potentially looking at cubital tunnel surgery, so I'm watching this thread too.

Explorer recently had some work done. Here's the thread: Intentionally getting one's hand cut open (surgery, and the results)

Ray
I have never heard of this before, i'm going to look it up to read what it's all about.

Unread 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
SS Contributor

Oh forgot to add that the doc called me back and I have a meeting with the surgeon on the 7th to go over everything and then set the surgery date. And I will be having the Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Surgery done, seemed like the best option to me because it has a quicker recovery time.

Unread 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
On vacation

drgordonfreeman is a name known to alldrgordonfreeman is a name known to alldrgordonfreeman is a name known to alldrgordonfreeman is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My mother had the non-invasive CP surgery.

Went great. No pain. No scaring. No issues.

Good luck!
Mattmc74 likes this.
drgordonfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #15
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgordonfreeman View Post
My mother had the non-invasive CP surgery.

Went great. No pain. No scaring. No issues.

Good luck!
Thats good to hear! Thanks man!

Unread 02-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good luck with the surgery!
Fiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
SS Contributor

well just got back from meeting with the doc and we went over what he was going to do. They have to go over things with my insurance company first and then the surgery date will be set.
But after talking with the doc he is going to do my left hand first and then 2 to 3 weeks later do my right. After talking with him about the whole procedure i'm not nervous about getting it done now.

Unread 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Blake1970 is a glorious beacon of lightBlake1970 is a glorious beacon of lightBlake1970 is a glorious beacon of light
I thought I was done with playing guitar. I threw a tantrum and tossed all my gear into the closet and drove my ex-wife nuts for a couple of months. I could not even hold a pick without pain and numbness. This was after I had surgery the first time on the fretting hand. That surgery worked just fine without any complications. It did take a few months to heal though. I did break down and have surgery on the right elbow and ever since I have been able to play just fine without pain and numbness.
Blake1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
///M

Saber_777 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My friends dad plays bass like a mad man. Crazy good. Put he had to have the surgery a while back. But he still Plays like crazy.

I'm afraid I'm goin to have to. My wrist pops really bad when I spin it and I get really bad pains too.

How did your symptoms start?

"I sometimes pretend my penis is a tiny bass guitar. " -Randy
Saber_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
SS Contributor

I felt like my symptoms started when I would be out playing out at the bar in an acoustic band I was playing with. Seems like the extra tension it takes to play an acoustic over an electric really made my hands hurt and then go numb. I quit the band because of it. Then at work I need to use tools a lot and that didn't help the pains either. I had to stop refinishing guitars because using power tools like sanders and such would make them go numb.

Unread 02-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
SS Contributor

I will be having my surgery on the 20th of this month.

Unread 02-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
Needs moar Gear.....

BlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud ofBlindingLight7 has much to be proud of
I am only 18 and will need the surgery soon, I can play anything fast for more than about 15 mins max, and my fingers go numb every now and then, its awful.
BlindingLight7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Damn, man, I hope everything goes well for you and that you have a swift recovery!

I've been having a few pains in my hands and in my wrists, but they're gone before I know it and seem to happen at random... I haven't had it checked yet, as I don't feel it's serious, but I really hope it stays that way and it doesn't develop...

Again, best of lucks, and let us know how it went!
Mattmc74 likes this.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLight7 View Post
I am only 18 and will need the surgery soon, I can play anything fast for more than about 15 mins max, and my fingers go numb every now and then, its awful.
Go get it checked out man!

Unread 02-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto7 View Post
Damn, man, I hope everything goes well for you and that you have a swift recovery!

I've been having a few pains in my hands and in my wrists, but they're gone before I know it and seem to happen at random... I haven't had it checked yet, as I don't feel it's serious, but I really hope it stays that way and it doesn't develop...

Again, best of lucks, and let us know how it went!
Thanks man! I will keep everyone informed on how it goes and details about the recovery.