homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Chickenhawk
  • 1 Post By Customisbetter
  • 1 Post By Bevo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
A redneck veterans workout log

Why hello there, didn't see you.

This...well, this is going to be a long ass post. There won't be a tl;dr, so if you don't want to read about me getting fit, then piss off

I'm going to be brutally honest with myself during this log. That's why I'm making it. If I can tell people what I used to be able to do, then shame myself by sharing how badly I do now...that will motivate me to correct it.

A little back story:

I spent my entire life practicing and studying Martial Arts. Taekwondo from age 5 till 13, then Hapkido and the ideas behind Jeetkunedo from 13-15, then back to Taekwondo and various other stuff (right about the time MMA was getting some mainstream attention) till age 18.

I was good at TKD. Like, Regional Qualifiers for the Olympics good. Multiple State and National Championships and instructing at various schools good.

I was 6'1", roughly 170-180lbs.

Right before I turned 19 I joined the Army. Spent from summer 2005 to the summer of 2009 in the Army. 15 months of that in the desert. Well, it's surprisingly easy to get in AMAZING shape over there (y'know...with 'less than legal' supplements and constantly doing stuff like running and carrying heavy shit).

I came back from Iraq at 6'4", 215lbs and roughly 7% body fat. I was a ....ing badass.

I got out of the Army because of a knee injury, and have spent the time till now doing a lot of nothing. I've had jobs cutting trees, worked at Guitar Center, did live sound, bounced at clubs, worked on power lines, and random odds and ends. I did do most of a semester of college, and lifted weights once a day for that time.

Here I am now:

6'4" (doubt that'll change much anymore )
I fluctuate between 210-220lbs almost weekly.
I'm afraid to measure my body fat...it's up there. I've got a little bit of a gut, and my arms and chest have lost a lot of mass since 2008/9.

I eat fairly healthy. As healthy as I can (gf, two kids, and going to school full time starting tomorrow). I drink Dr. Pepper and Mt Dew, but I'm cutting back a LOT. Down to just a few cans a day (4-5 max..usually less).
I drink a lot of water. A metric ....ton, to be honest. I love water.

I smoke a pack a day, and am slowly cutting back. I know from experience that once I get into a regular workout routine, my smoking will drop to half a pack or less a day.

I quit drinking a week ago. I won't touch another drop of alcohol till after I graduate school (9 months), if ever.

My goal? No idea. I don't want to drop below 200lbs. I feel stable at this weight. I want to get closer to where I was at my peak (mid 2008). Whatever gains I get, I get. I'll be constantly supplementing the P90X program with my own workouts when I get a chance: light jogs and hill climbs if my knee allows, weights, bag work, martial arts (mainly stuff based on Krav Maga and what I learned in the Army), etc.

Now that that's out of the way:

Day 1:

Today I started P90X. I spent the last week turning the garage into my personal gym, and since the girlfriend already had the P90X set, I figured that was better than me dicking around trying to get back into shape.

Day 1 is supposed to be Chest & Back, and the Ab Ripper X routine. I grabbed a towel and a bottle of water, trotted into the garage/gym and fired up the DVD.

10 minutes in my arms were shaking. The Chest & Back program is nothing but pushups and pullups, with some weights thrown in just to make you cry.

To be honest, if I would have tried this at my peak (middle of 2008), I would have smoked this shit. Only issues I would have had would have been with pullups, since I've never excelled at them.

Today? Christ, I thought I was going to die. I struggled after 10 pushups. I only did 1 proper pullup in the first set, and had a hell of a time with the rest of the sets. The weights weren't really a problem. I hit my intended reps, with plenty of shaking and burning for the last couple reps.

I stopped the DVD with 10-12 minutes left, because I just couldn't physically do anymore pushups. The pullup stand that I bought isn't going to work either, since it only has grips for wide, palms away from you pullups...and the P90X disk has 5 different grips. So, off to the store to find a bar and some clamps to modify it

Overall, I'm excited. My arms and upper back hurt, and I promise it's going to be hell in the morning, but that's part of the process.

I was also supposed to do the Ab Ripper X, but I skipped that. I did that a few days ago as a trial thing, and it ....ing killed me. I just didn't have it in me today...plus you do the Ab program 3 times a week...I'll make it up. I'm only allowing myself a handful of skips during the entire 90 days...and it sucks I already used one.

The future?

If I'm happy with the results of my little 90 day experiment, then I'm moving on to Cross fit. If I feel I need more, I'll dissect the P90X disks, and put together my own 30-45 day program that'll hit my problem areas (going to be upper body...I know), then on to Cross fit.

I'll post the 'Before' picture later, when the GF gets home and can take it for me.

Thoughts? Comments? I don't want clichéd words of encouragement, but if you've got something clever, or actually motivating, feel free to share. I'm pretty tempted to do a video of my suck-ass-ness at doing pullups...it's a sight to see, I swear
Customisbetter and Bigfan like this.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Good luck mate!

Yes it isn't clever but its sincere.
Chickenhawk likes this.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Bevo is just really niceBevo is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You have the most important thing you need to succeed, the propper attitude. Just stay positive and don't give up even if you miss a day, just consider it a recovery day and move on.

You will do great!!
Chickenhawk likes this.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #4
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep at it man, the benefits are there and you know how to achieve your goals so dig in and keep focused

Oh wait, no cliches? Damnit

I found that a complete change of diet helped change my mental attitude around - ditching all the usual crap food a lot of us "fall into" at some time in our lives at the same time as making the choice to get back into shape felt like more of a complete envisioning of where I want to be - there's also a lot of well-publicized links between diet and mental attitude so yeah, do what you can in that department.

Thinking about any C.V or perhaps even a return to martial arts? I found the former to be hard work at first (like you, out of shape and an ex-smoker) but the benefits are again, super-motivating for all the obvious reasons. I've tended to shy away from the latter (lack of equipment, a certain amount of disinterest) but I guess that some WTF-style conditioning once you're up to speed would feel like a return to an area you took pride in - that positive mental boost and overall attitude adjustment again.

All of which waffle boils down to good luck

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Thanks for the comments guys

Day 2

Today was supposed to be Plyometrics. But, today was also my first day of school, and the day my GF's oldest daughter came home from the summer with the sperm donor. So, it's been a busy as .... day to say the least.

I did get a chance to get about 15 minutes of Plyo in. It hurt, since it's all jumping, and my left knee is not in the best of shape (really bad, honestly), but I gave it all I could. I did get to sneak out for a 20-25 minute jog also, so today wasn't a complete workout bust.

Busy day, still got a little bit of a workout in. Not what I wish I could have done, but y'know...life gets in the way. It's all about doing what you can, when you can, and I think I did pretty well, considering.

Tomorrow will be less hectic, since Emma (the 2 year old) is headed off to her dads, Kelly (GF) and Sydney (8 year old/oldest) are going to a Katy Perry concert, and I only have a half day of class (will be done by 10:30am), so I'm going to double up on my workout. Going to do the Plyo workout after the normal one (don't know what...haven't looked at the book yet , but I do know it involves the Ab Ripper ), give myself some rest, then hit the weights.

Not a pass day. Just not a 100% day. Maybe I should have started my workout after things settled down. Eh, .... it. What better time than now?

- Woodrow Wilson
Unread 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Freemanologist

Day 3

Arms and Shoulders, Ab Ripper X and some light cardio.

Wow. The arms and shoulders workout isn't insane, but hard. The first three exercises are weighted, and you keep repeating them untill you're almost dead

Good shit. I had planned on doing some extra weights to make up for my shitty attempted at working out yesterday, but I didn't think todays program would be weight lifting, so I didn't.

But, I definately busted my ass. Then, went off and did the Ab Ripper. As usual, it hurt. I did roughly half the reps.

I drank some water (well...a lot of water), and decided to go for a run. The run quickly turned into a jog, that turned into a brisk walk right back to the house

I'm done for the day. Time for food, water, and a smoke. I'm fairly pleased with myself today. I could see myself getting used to the workouts and actually getting them knocked out.

- Woodrow Wilson
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
SS Contributor

Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pullups are tough. your weight has a lot to do with it.

i suck at pullups. at my peak i could do about 15. now i might not be able to do even 1.

but doing even a partial pullup over and over will get you up to speed on those. i'd say that's better than trying lat pulls or whatever.

anyway, i admire what you're doing. maybe reading this will shame me into getting off my butt and doing something.
Ancestor is offline   Reply With Quote