homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Just another SunBro

niffnoff is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for some methods to lose weight...

So I've been thinking, over the last 2 years life ain't really been grand and well, I put a bit more weight than perhaps I should of allowed, I consider my self overweight and unfit at the moment which is never a good thing.

I need some ways of beginning to shade the pounds and tone up any suggestions or routines to try, which doesn't involve Gym because I'm well to put it blunt. Skint,out of cash, etc etc.

Thanks

I used to be an arrow like you
But then I took a rock to the knee
Soundcloud was arrow to the knee
Facebook Music Page
niffnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Rainbow In The Dark

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
>_>

<_<

Eat less and better and exercise more

But seriously, I've lost quite a bit of my body fat by just completely cutting out fast food and soda, confections (with OCCASIONAL exception) etc and eating less of what I do eat (lots of proteins, some carbs, a shitload of vegetables and a SHITLOAD of green tea and water) and making sure I run regularly. I can't stress running enough, it's free and utterly effective high-intensity pure cardio. Doing exercises like pushups, chinups, pullups, situps, squats etc (all free of course) can aid toning in the process etc etc. Really, aside from the basics you just have to KEEP AT IT, which most people forget. That and lay off booze almost 24/7 if you drink now, it sucks I know People look at changing your diet and exercise routine as a temporary thing to drop pounds, but it helps to see it as a lifelong change and commitment to yourself. Works for me so far anyway.

Praise the sun!
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
jog, its free. also jump rope ($5)
Origin, scherzo1928 and niffnoff like this.
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Banned

aslsmm is just really niceaslsmm is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
takes self control, my weight fluctuates more than david bowies sexual orientation. ive been using lipofuze coupled with a vegan diet and running about 2-4 miles 3-6 times a week.

it worx for me. haha, but seriously it dose.
TRENCHLORD likes this.
aslsmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Demeyes is a jewel in the rough
I'm a little overweight but have lost a stone and a half in the last year. I've started doing a martial art which means I get at least some exercise regularly. You could start jogging or doing bike rides because they are cheap and you can go at your own pace. You should try and get a good workout at least 1/2 week if you can and force yourself to do it even if you think you don't want to, it's too easy to stop when you've just started. If possible see if you can join a group or have a friend along with you as you can drive each other to keep it up.
You should also be looking at your diet. I eat too much fast food but have cut it down a bit. I also started making my own sauces and cooking more in general. It's works out really cheap and you can make stuff that you really like. A big thing for a lot of people is portion control, if you eat too much in each meal it will really add up. Try and eat half your meal and leave it for a few minutes and then see if you are still hungry. A good way to monitor your diet is to write down everything you eat in a food diary. This will help you pinpoint your problem areas and you can see what you need to cut down on or cut out.
I'd advise against going on any specific diets, there are a lot of people who swear by very specific diets but I think just watching how much you eat and trying to eat a bit healthier will stand better to you than a month of shakes or cutting out carbs. I've seen people lose a lot of weight on a fad diet but they always end up putting it back on. Just try and get some exercise and eat better and you'll notice results.
kung_fu and Konfyouzd like this.
Demeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Just another SunBro

Yeah some of this is useful, I was thinking of setting my self a daily routine, but I don't know where to start for exercise I was gonna try and do something like.

x Push ups
x Sit ups
x Squats

and like a Jog everyday on my estate, maybe twice.

I guess for my eating I've cut down on fast and junk, I think I eat alot more Fruits and Salads than I did before, but I don't believe in the diets as I've seen more people gain off them than lose.

Facebook Music Page
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
First of all, If you are determined, you will do it easy.

Watch what you eat, try and cut down on fat and carbs... dont go for fast food. Buy some fruit, and if you get hungry eat an apple. You will probably also save some money.

About exercise, do what Jymellis said. Jogging is free, and jumping rope is a TREMENDOUS exercise. Fighters do it to lose a couple of pounds in a matter of days before a weighting ceremony for a reason.

Also, do the sort of exercises where you lift your own weight, like crunches, situps, pushups and that kind of thing. Particularly work on your leg muscles, and you will burn calories much easier. Do a set of pushups a couple of times a day (like when you wake up) or when nobody is watching

About 6 years ago I lost some 15 kilos doing that kind of stuff, and havent gained a gram of fat since. I actually got super fit and buff, and a couple of years ago, I decided to just keep at a certain weight, where not so much sacrifice on a diet and routine was needed. (Then a football injury kept me away from the gym for a while and I lost a bunch of muscle which Im still trying to gain back... but yeah)

Good luck man.
niffnoff likes this.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
If your overweight and get no exercise, Ide be carefull to avoid injury by just jumping on an exercise routine. Google "from couch to 5k"
mountainjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Just another SunBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjam View Post
If your overweight and get no exercise, Ide be carefull to avoid injury by just jumping on an exercise routine. Google "from couch to 5k"
Like I said before I'm overweight but it's not like I'm not doing anything before hand, most the time I'm doing alot of walking with things like my guitar + my bag for college which I've been told is stupidly heavy. The only injuries I'm worried about if I do anything is my ankles I injured when I used to do Karate.

Facebook Music Page
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Demeyes is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjam View Post
Yeah, if you are very unfit then you should take care and read about how to stretch properly, static vs dynamic etc. Don't stretch without warming up a little first. Don't overdo it, especially at the start. There are great programs you can follow that will help you get fit correctly and steadily.
I'd also be wary of doing the same exercises every day at the beginning. If you want to do push ups etc do them every 2nd day and follow a plan to get the most out of it. You need time for recovery so switch up to other exercises every other day. You should be increasing the number per set as you get stronger.
Demeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Got T.I.N.G?

Hallic is just really niceHallic is just really nice
make sure to calculate the amount of energy requirements(joules) you'll need. So that you don't eat too less. but just the right amount to be fit and lose weight. i recommand a 30% protein, %50 carbs , %20 fats. just google some basic on what foods has good essential fets and good proteins and try to make a balanced plan in excel or something. you can even log you're weight(and maybe %bodyfat) weekly/monthly whatever.

ps. i personally love to cycle. You'll make more km than jogging/running and give a see a lot more of the world. Also it is way less of an injury-sport than running.

"I love Instrumental screamo" - ;']
Hallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
Cycling however is pretty damned efficient, so unfortunately, it not a very time efficient method of burning calories.

What everyone else said is great advice. Losing weight is all about not having enough calories from food to fuel your body during the day, so your body has to turn to it's own stores. Be careful not to compensate too much when you exercise - it will make you more hungry than you were, and you can end up not being in negative calories, so nothing is going.

Exercise is great for many reasons, and it does increase your metabolism so that you burn more calories during the day. Doing jogging is cheap, and body weights are great as they are cheap, and tone you up nicely. The most important thing however is your diet. Eat healthily, and eat a tiny bit less, and your weight will decrease. Set yourself a target that is achievable, and with determination, you will reach it and feel amazing for it.
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin View Post
Eat less and better and exercise more

/thread

More specifically, make sure everything you eat has nutritional value. That means plenty of fruits, veggies and quality protein. Carbs are okay, but try to limit them, especially at the end of the day. No sodas and never eat fast food. Ever. McDonald's is a plot to kill off the poor.

Timing and size of meals is important (you don't need to do the 5 meals a day thing either). Commit this old proverb to memory;

"Breakfast for a King, Lunch for a Prince, and dinner for a pauper."

Too many people eat for enjoyment instead of it's really purpose; to provide the energy we need to live. You don't need as many calories to go to sleep as you do to start your day, I hope.

As far as exercise, just do something physical everyday. There's a lot of good articles on the Art of Manliness for body weight exercise routines, as well as easy homemade gym equipment (check out the slosh-pipe, it's killer and only cost me about $15 to make).

Health & Sports | The Art of Manliness

The Beachbody Insanity DVD's are also really good home workouts.

Best of luck to you. It's not as hard as you would think. I started my routine in February, and to date of lost 4" from my waist and net -50lbs. And my diet isn't any stricter than what I mentioned above.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Blind Theory is just really niceBlind Theory is just really nice
Like my dad says, people over think this way too much. It is a simple little math equation if anything. You want to lose weight? Take in less calories than you work off in a day. Want to gain weight? Take in more calories than you work off in a day. Simple as that.
Blind Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
The only scientific and working method for losing weight goes as follows: Take in less energy than you use.

as simple as that, and I know you can do it

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Eat well and exercise. Taking in less energy than you use works in theory, but you cannot shirk the exercise or your metabolism will easily adjust the amount of energy you use. That is why at the end of the day girls on a 'diet' that don't exercise and whine about why they can't lose weight still don't lose weight.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #17
Got T.I.N.G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakke View Post
The only scientific and working method for losing weight goes as follows: Take in less energy than you use.

as simple as that, and I know you can do it

ho there! say you'll need 13 MJ, if you take those 13MJ purely from sugar...

Also Low GI products for the win!

Unread 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallic View Post
ho there! say you'll need 13 MJ, if you take those 13MJ purely from sugar...

Also Low GI products for the win!
But of course no sensible person would do that..... Or would they?*scratches chin*

But what I was trying to convey is that common sense goes a long way, in short, eat less than you use

*EDIT* GI has proven to be pretty effective

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Nothing to see here

-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold
Sorry I couldn't resist...

niffnoff and Blind Theory like this.
-42- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Blind Theory is just really niceBlind Theory is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by -42- View Post
Sorry I couldn't resist...

"I lost 40 pounds in 3 days!"

That was amazing!
Blind Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
"Breakfast for a King, Lunch for a Prince, and dinner for a pauper."
Take this phrase with a grain of salt though and don't interpret it LITERALLY, it means nutritional value wise NOT quantity. I used to think if I ate a good amount for breakfast, I'd have lots of energy and shit, but it was really just empty calories. Toast, some fruit and eggs + water/juice WILL provide you with the stuff you need to get going versus 3 bowls of garbage cereal.

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
Got T.I.N.G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
Take this phrase with a grain of salt though and don't interpret it LITERALLY, it means nutritional value wise NOT quantity. I used to think if I ate a good amount for breakfast, I'd have lots of energy and shit, but it was really just empty calories. Toast, some fruit and eggs + water/juice WILL provide you with the stuff you need to get going versus 3 bowls of garbage cereal.
real men eat rolled oats and crushed wheat with mother flipping highprotein yoghurt(greek,0%) and nuts. [Regular swedish mealtime voice]IT's GOOD FOR YOU[/voice]

Unread 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #23
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
The saying comes about as most people eat their largest calorie load in the evening at dinner. I used to do the 3 eggs, cheese, ham bacon (very lean) 4 slices or so, 2 toast a bit of butter and a big glass of water. Bam 1000 calorie breakfast that may be a little fattier than some want but that is alright, fat isn't the devil it is built to be. At that point I was eatin 4k cals to stay at a weight with work and workouts. I have never quite gone back to that level of training though, expensive.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

xiphoscesar is just really nicexiphoscesar is just really nice
6 meals a day
xiphoscesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Bulimia.
Origin and Wingchunwarrior like this.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote