homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-29-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Whisper into nose

Asrial is just really niceAsrial is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kebab how-to?

You know, the vertical spit filled with meat, sliced top to bottom and served in a dürüm or pita with salad and yoghurt-based dressing?

I know it is not the healthiest fastfood, but DAMN, it's tasty. And I want to know how to make it at home! Of course without the spit. Where the hell am I supposed to keep a meter-long spit and grill...?

I have some idea that it's made from lamb, but is it true, or is it a composite meat?

(FUNFACT: The most popular pizza in Denmark is in fact the kebab pizza, and is almost exclusively found in Denmark only! Served with cold lettuce and yoghurt-dressing on top)

The Asrial Project Bandcamp
The Asrial Project Soundcloud
The Asrial Project Twitter
The Asrial Project Facebook

JeffFromMtl: Anyone who says sex is over-rated is doing it wrong.
I don't care how good your stupid toffee brioche pudding is.
Myself: Han shot first
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Now available in HD

meisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to allmeisterjager is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's actually the leg of an elephant.
meisterjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
OVER THE LINE!

Wingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of lightWingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of lightWingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
1. achieve 1 star rating on health and safety ratings

2.rub 2kg of unknown meat in marinade of middle eastern sweat and dirt

3.Become extremely drunk before comsuming and recommended to only eat between 1.00-4.00 am on a Friday or Saturday night

4.Prepare for the inevitable bloated feeling and eventual vomiting

you really wanted to know

Shono.........

ahead of his time
Wingchunwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Whisper into nose

Any serious posts?
I actually like kebab/shawarma, tastes friggin awesome, and I want to know how to make it.

Unread 12-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
People jizz in the mayonaise trays here in New Zealand Kebab shops

Edit: Pro-tip - Enter a Kebab shop, order a kebab and ask the dude to make you a kebab...

IN SLOW MOTION

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
delirium tremens

Aaron is a glorious beacon of lightAaron is a glorious beacon of lightAaron is a glorious beacon of light
The kebobs in Turkey made me very sick

My snake will eat your guinea pig
Aaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
My name isn't Tim

timbaline is a jewel in the rough
You're talking about Shawarma, Kebab is different. Anyways, depending on where you go the meat will be different. Usually it's Lamb, Beef, or Chicken. In my opinion the best meat for it is lamb. It's also usually in pita with salad and chumus (I've never heard of nor eaten a shawarma with a yogurt-dressing).
If you want to make your own, you can buy a rotisserie oven and roast meat in that, though it doesn't taste as good as the shop shawarma.

Silence is broken...
timbaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Speaking specifically of the vertical spit, it's also known as yeros meat (and there are a ton of variant spellings in English, as you'll see in this link).

Let me google that for you

I'd recommend the Food Network/Alton Brown recipe from the link. If you're in a hurry, use dried onion instead of juicing it. Don't skimp on the fat content of the meat. If you make it with 50/50 ground lamb and ground beef, the mixture isn't as gamey as straight lamb.

Rather than rotisserie or a loaf pan, you can flatten it out and broil it on a broiling pan (one which allows the fat to drip out), and then slice it into thin strips. Or, of course, you can make it into burgers.

Good luck!

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
Jebus

Goatchrist is just really niceGoatchrist is just really nice
It depends on the country you're in. Here in Switzerland we also call it Kebab. We call it Dürüm or Döner Kebab depending on the bread/pita you use(same in Germany).

I thought it was composite meat.
Sometimes you may find it in a grossary stores, maybe you should try gyros meat aswell, it's this similar greek stuff.

Cocktail sauce taste awesome too!

You must unlearn what you have learned.
Goatchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #10
Kebab Enthusiast

Misanthropy will become famous soon enough
ive probably had about 12 kebabs this month alone....i love them, i will probably die from heart disease at the rate im going, but they taste like heaven, especially home made with chilli sauce, yums....the modified camel/dog kebabs on rotating spit your referring to is the Doner kebab.

Youtube Channel:
http://uk.youtube.com/DeathcoreDude

-Removal of the eyes gives my heart a saddened chill
i preserve them in formaldehyde to gaze upon at will - TBDM
Misanthropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
Whisper into nose

All i know is that the local grill is cutting the meat from a vertical spit, and that it's sold as a kebab. Kebab is synonymous for shawarma pretty much wherever i go.

And there's a difference on gyros and shawarma/kebab: the meat and seasoning.
Gyros can be made with pork and got different seasoning.
What I seek is the shawarma, alias the variety from the middle east. Lamb and middle-eastern seasoning. But how to cook it?

Also, I'm pretty much convinced it's not ground meat... Either that, or it's hyperly compressed.

Unread 12-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.Explorer is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post
What I seek is the shawarma, alias the variety from the middle east. Lamb and middle-eastern seasoning. But how to cook it?

Also, I'm pretty much convinced it's not ground meat... Either that, or it's hyperly compressed.
Oh, darn! If only someone took the time to post a link to recipes and information in this thread!

Of course, that would entail someone having to click on a link, instead of waiting for all that information to be copied and pasted here....

*laugh*

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

WickedSymphony is just really niceWickedSymphony is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post
I don't know the exact recipe my grandma uses to make it, and I doubt she'll tell me ( ), but when we make it at home we do ground beef. We pack it onto the seikhs (the giant ....ing skewer things), and then cook it over a charcoal grill, balancing it over the edges of the grill so the meat hangs above the charcoal with no gate on it and rotate as necessary. Also, do a few seikhs with tomatoes and peppers and grill those = ....ing amazing.

Of course, you don't have to do it ground meat, you can just do small chunks of chicken, lamb, etc. All of which are great.

And before it's asked - yes, my family is from the middle east.
WickedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #14
YAAARGH

Leper is on a distinguished road
I basically live on shawermas, especially the spicy ones you get here.
Its normally seasoned with tahina sauce, love that stuff

Damn this thread, I'm hungry now!
Leper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #15
shitstormer

Nickthebogan will become famous soon enough
yeh, love the kebabs, in Birmingham where I work, we have a good choice of them, might have to get kebab meat and chips for lunch, salad, spicy sauce and mayo ...
Nickthebogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
Frets? What frets?

Varcolac is a splendid one to beholdVarcolac is a splendid one to beholdVarcolac is a splendid one to beholdVarcolac is a splendid one to beholdVarcolac is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthebogan View Post
yeh, love the kebabs, in Birmingham where I work, we have a good choice of them, might have to get kebab meat and chips for lunch, salad, spicy sauce and mayo ...
This dude knows what's up. After a certain amount of alcohol I become incapable of ordering any food other than Dõner meat 'n' chips. It all sort of slurs into one word: Dõnermeat'n'chipshpleaseboss. No regrets.

If you're thinking of Dõner (the vertical rotating meat of awesome doom), I don't think it's really possible to make anything less than a full elephant-leg-sized stack of it. It's like, hundreds of stacked slices of lamb, with fat on the top to drip down the sides and keep it moist. Somehow the slow cooking and slicing makes the horizontal slices stick together into the delicious vertical strips of 3AM drunk food we know and love.

Man, it's 2PM and I'm stone cold sober, but talking about kebabs makes me strangely hungry...

SchecterWhore: "Development, phase four. Beethoven
takes you for a ride through space in his Pontiac Trans Am."
Varcolac is offline   Reply With Quote