homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food Exercise plans, recipes & general healthy living discussion here.

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #351

Tiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've been using a Suunto T6C for a few years now and I just ordered the new Suunto Ambit
and am beyond excited.

http://www.suunto.com/product-families/suunto-ambit/

Cant wait cant wait cant wait.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #352
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My bud has one and its really nice, I have the Garmin 305.
It is much more accurate than the Garmin and looks much nicer, he did not get into all the features yet but I know its packed full of goodness!

If I had to get a new one it would be tough, I love the Ambit but the Garmin Connect I use all the time and lots of new runs are posted there to try.
So far its been amazing even thought its older.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #353

Tiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud ofTiger has much to be proud of
Just coughed up my entry fee.

eco-x sports - Grindstone 100

Let the misery begin
sytraxiplague likes this.
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #354
SS.org Regular

Infamous Impact is just really niceInfamous Impact is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Just coughed up my entry fee.

eco-x sports - Grindstone 100

Let the misery begin
I tip my hat to you.

"...When they find out you have more than the standard number of strings... It's like you're the ....in' highlander or something..."
Infamous Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #355
SS.org Regular

sytraxiplague is a jewel in the rough
I've been running with my uncle lately. About 5ish miles at a time. Takes us about 50 minutes to an hour usually. Not too bad. A decent pace and good exercise. Congrats Tiger. I'm from VA and have never heard of that. Sounds rough! lol. Good luck to you!
sytraxiplague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #356

Hey thanks guys, Im looking forward to the event.
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #357
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
23,000 feet ouch that is going to be a good one!
Thats a pretty serious course that will rival the courses on the Western side of the US.

Whats your training like leading up to it, are you doing big weeks with a few week taper?

The only issue with the 100's I have is getting the eating right, at 50 miles my stomach is just shot. If I can figure that out then I would be more prepared to run the 100.

Good on you!
If you ever get up to Canada I have a few runs I can take you on!!
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #358

Im having to go with the less is more schedule. I plan on doing several 30-35 mile aggressive runs, a 50 miler, then tapering September and going in to it fully rested. I simply dont have the time to log 100 mile weeks, so I have to go with the faster paced 40-50 mile stuff. My big emphasis is hill training, I bought a treadmill so I could easily spend a lot of time going up or downhill.

I feel that a lot of it has to be mental...if its not then Im screwed!
Unread 05-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #359
SS.org Regular

I did a 50 miler and at 15 miles I was done, my legs were killing me and I had ever ache and pain I could think up.
For me I use the If I will damage my body I will stop, in this case it was just pain and I had to ignore it. At 40 my stomach was shot and it was super hard to eat but I kept eating and drinking, if I was going to puke then I would.

I got through it and it was one of the best races I ever had, it was all mental strength to not give up.
Crossing the line it felt like I won.

That video you posted said this and I really believe it..

First you run with your body.
Second you run with your mind.
Third you run with your heart.
Last you run with your spirit.
Fiction likes this.
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #360

That sounds about right. I read a quote a while ago that sums it up, 'if you're feeling good during an ultra, don't worry, you'll get over it.'
Bevo likes this.
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #361
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
That sounds about right. I read a quote a while ago that sums it up, 'if you're feeling good during an ultra, don't worry, you'll get over it.'
Yup!!

Legs are sore from yesterdays run, today is going to be sooo hard so I thought. Once I stumbled around for 10 min my sore legs cleared up and had another great 25K trail run today!

The only part that hurts now is my hand, knee and elbow from falling....twice! and my shoulder from smacking into a tree LOL!!
I never fall and fell twice yesterday, once eating and the other time enjoying the view...DOH!
Fiction likes this.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #362
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Motivation for running?

Scoring Digits, Coffee tomorrow and hopefully a run on wednesday with her.

I ran past her and she was pretty cute, was walking a dog and it tried to attack me but I just kept running and thought "Man, You should of stopped" So I ran around the block and caught her a bit further up, asked her whether she runs or just dresses up for running and walks (She had the whole running gear on) as a light joke, was a hit Walked with her back to her house, got her number and asked if she wanted coffee tomorrow.

Thanks guys for getting me to go running

Edit: Guess I'll give a small update on running ha, been 2-3 weeks since I've started back up again, my first run I ran 20-25 minutes and walked 5, I was like Wow this is a lot better then expecting, the next run was like 2 minute runs with 2 minutes walked, it all just disappeared. I was pretty bummed that I lost it all and the first run was just like a returning runners high or something

But now I'm back up to the 20-25 minute running and 5 minute walking/slow jogging, I use to go for ~hour runs every second day but I'm going to try work up to 30 minutes every day instead. Just doing 30-40 every second day at the moment. Breathing better, I also sing while I run so that's improved a bit as well actually (Really puts a strain on breathing haha, but I stop when I really need to focus on breathing).
Bevo likes this.

[Fiction] 1:47 pm: she could probably toss a salad with that thing
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #363
SS.org Regular

Blind Theory is just really niceBlind Theory is just really nice
I started going back to the gym a week ago. I am mainly focusing on muscle gain so I am not going to be trying to run 3 miles a day quite yet but I have began running 1 mile before I hit the weights. I was expecting it to be a LOT worse for me. I am able to do the mile with relative ease and I am confident I could get to 2 miles (not as easily though). So far my times are coming in at a low 11 minute mile so I am off of where I was speed wise by about 4 minutes I guess I just keep hacking away until I get where I was at...fun stuff.
Blind Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #364
SS.org Regular

Great work guys!!

I told you its easy to get girls running!!
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #365
:O

Cabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to behold
I always like to run a bit before my actual workout. But I go for a consistent pace and extend the time, tomorrow I'll bump up the speed a bit and go for the same time limit. Two days ago I managed to run about 3.5k in 25 minutes, looking to up the speed a bit and see how far I'll make it in that same 25 minute time frame.
Cabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #366
Great Job, Jeremy.

aWoodenShip is a jewel in the rough
Since this seems to be the infamous running thread, I have need of advice. I've deemed this month "May Madness" and the plan is to run every day this month without fail (with the exception of last Monday because of a final). My goal is to get rid of this little bit of fat that I've grown around my hips and lower stomach. My question is, is running the exercise I should be focusing on for these areas? And if so, which type of running? Should I be doing intermittent sprints or focusing on long distance jogs?

I've already started with the intermittent sprints every day so far. Most of the trail I run at is uphill, but there are 3 200-300 foot level bits that I run as fast as I can and then continue walking. I do this for about five laps, or 6 miles.
aWoodenShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #367
SS.org Regular

Don't do to much you will get hurt, the overdoo injurys are what hurt most new runners.

The running will help as your burning 5-800 calories but you also have to watch what you eat and do some strength training. Get in extra lean protien and cut out all the sugar stuff.
Push ups, squats, core work everyday at a fast paced 20 min will really fire you up.

Pick 5 full body exercises and do one min, then move right to the next no break, do those 5 4 times and your done in more ways than one!
Change what you do everyday so you don't overuse those muscles too.

Good luck!
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #368
SS.org Regular

25K trail race this saturday!
This one is close to home and lots of friends will be racing the 25 and 50M distances.

Can't wait!!!
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #369
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I still can't get over the idea of being able to run that far at once. How many years did it take you to build up to that level?
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
25K trail race this saturday!
This one is close to home and lots of friends will be racing the 25 and 50M distances.

Can't wait!!!
Post results.

About to go do 10-20 miles at Patapsco if my leg permits.
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #371
SS.org Regular

Troy, not long I have only been trail running for a few years but have always been active.

Most running plans call for an extra 10% a week so in 10 weeks your running pretty far if you started by running 20 min.
Its super important to run consistantly, every run builds on the last one.

I normly run farther but am looking to stick to this distance this year, next year i will go longer. Its all about staying healthy and not overdoing it.

You got it Tiger, I will post my results!
Weather is going to be warm and dry so looking at some fun times!

Hope your leg is feeling better!
Mine are killing me, I have not run as much as normal so they are looking for some action!!
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #372

Dude I think I may be injured. Ive been trying to get an MRI for weeks and its such a pain in the military, I had to see a doc who forced an xray, so I had to go back to doc after xray, who has now refered me to orthopedics, so I can go see them and schedule one (if they let me) just so I can wait WEEKS to have one done. Free? Yea, but .... its a pain to get anything done.

Its this bizarre tightness on the outside of my left knee that is definitely connected with my upper calf. It feels utterly bizarre when it occurs and seems to be triggered by downhill movement or anything faster than about 8 minute mile. Its a show stopping sensation, it feels like my meniscus just got injected with lead and its not one you just run through. I've also been experiencing some bizarre bruising in the upper left part of the calf after runs or if I try to foam roll the area. Yet I still have full strength in all heavy lifts and feel the pain in no way unless I run or go down stairs fast.

So Im not sure if I have a bone bruise, a meniscus issue, a critical imbalance... I even exhibit symptoms of compartment syndrome. One day those wacky doctors will tell me.

It just would break from tradition if I wasnt battling a mystery issue in the months leading up to an ultra race.
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #373
SS.org Regular

That sucks!
I saw some of the 50 milers today having one hell of a time, there was some misery and injured people out there!!

Hope it can get resolved well before your race!
Unread 05-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #374
SS.org Regular

My race review short and sweet!

Started at a comfy speed that I knew I could hold for hours, this speed also put me behind 3 seriously cute girls with one in a skirt!
After 10K I think they felt me staring so I had to run by LOL!!

15K turn around I was moving good on track for a good time, they also changed it to a 30K not 25.

At 20 the wheels came off and my stomach got pissed off at me, the last 10 was really hard I mean really really hard but I got it done in 3:30.. not great considering I was on track for 3:15.
Unread 05-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #375
SS.org Regular

Blind Theory is just really niceBlind Theory is just really nice
I just needed to dust off the cobwebs a little bit. My time isn't back to where it used to be (high 6 to low 7 minute) but it is better than when I started the gym again. I have gone from low 11 minute mile to a 9 and a half ish minute mile so I am headed in the right direction.
Blind Theory is offline   Reply With Quote