homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle Discussions on all things unplugged, as well as classical and jazz.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dayn
  • 1 Post By Hallic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
HeartWyrm

HOKENSTYFE is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric Cello

I have no cello training, but I am interested. I came apon an electric cello & want to incorporate it in a progressive/djent style of metal. Had an idea to put Lundgren or some metal guitar pickups in it to augment the sound. Any thoughts? Bass pickups instead?

I haven't heard if I can hook an amp or mode to it, but was thinking an Axe/FxII or even a Hd 500 pod.

Kind of nuts but what the hell!
HOKENSTYFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Cellos have a radius which is more severe than electric guitars. You're talking about using an effectively flat pickup which will either be too close to the outside strings, or which will miss the inner strings.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have an electric cello. I wouldn't recommend using electric guitar pickups on one for the reasons above (as well as several others).

You also have to be pretty careful about what sort of signal processing you do with a bowed instrument, since it's got a lot of attack and sustain naturally and doesn't do well with a lot of more traditional modern metal sounds.
TemjinStrife is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
silly person

Dayn is just really niceDayn is just really nice
Doesn't the electric cello you found have a peizo pickup or something? That would suffice, I would have thought... Apart from the strings most likely not being metal preventing traditional guitar pickups from picking up the strings, if you're just going to emulate a guitar, get an e-bow, or a small stick to use as a bow. I'd say find a way to work in a good cello tone that sounds like a cello, rather than emulating a guitar.
HOKENSTYFE likes this.

...?!
Dayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #5
Got T.I.N.G?

Hallic is just really niceHallic is just really nice
I got an electric cello, and i would recomand using the piezo. Just use some delay/reverb with it and you'll be fine.

And Ebow would indeed be a other great way to get a similair sound

"I love Instrumental screamo" - ;']
Hallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
HeartWyrm

Yes sir, Peizo pickup. I was thinking of making the electric cello it's own instrument. As far as I was concerned, there isn't a big(or at all) modeling history...? So anything efforted at all would be pre-experimental, at best.

The only metal band I'm aware about who uses the EC,is Apocalyptica. So I don't have a varied plate to choose from.

The idea was to hyper-expose the natural sound of the cello. As acoustic guitar to electric guitar. So all this is new to me. The cello has a natural deep sound, but it's fluidity makes it distinct, and unmistakable. So that I understand. But apon recording or processing, couldn't I alter through computer sims & the like. I haven't heard an EC with deep crunch & delay...I swear I'm having a fit thinking of it.

Maybe the guitar pickup, isn't the best idea. I do want to make the most of this inspiration! It blew my mind. I thought electric bowed instruments was something the Nerds used to beat everyone at the music competition. (no disrespect intended/ a joke, I love everyone) Point is, I had know idea about electric bowed instruments! Very intrigued!

Thanks for the input! Though I need to hear more, in regards to what might be able to be done! Thanks for your time!
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
Got T.I.N.G?

Hallic is just really niceHallic is just really nice

some of the more expensive electric cellos have piezo aswell magnetic pickups(one for every string)
HOKENSTYFE likes this.

"I love Instrumental screamo" - ;']
Hallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
HeartWyrm

I have been born again!! Picking & Tapping with a cello, amazing! The first video, is still blowing my mind! Dude made a trance/type dance track all from the different playing of the electric cello. Plus in real time looping combined it all in an instant. Which sounded great! Wow! Appreciate this!

The next guy showed a Cobra wood electric, which looks pretty wicked! I hadn't realized the effort made to modernize this classic instrument!

These videos definitely help reaffirm the vision I have to explore an evolution or progression with metal in mind!

+1